Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Impatient 23 year old

Impatient 23 year old

Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Sean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really nice
Question Impatient 23 year old

Right folks,

I've applied for residency, well not yet, letters just sent away to allow the immigration agent to start my process. I work in the oil industry in Scotland as an Instrument Technician, I am trying to find work in Australia but everyone want's a work visa before i can apply, is there any visa's apart from working holiday that i could apply for to get me out there before residency comes through?
Working holiday only lets me work for 6 months at a time!
If i manage to get a job i would like it to be a long term job, one that i could continue after my residency. Sponsorship seem's to be the only option but not having any luck on finding any companies willing to sponsor me.
My girlfriend is from Melbourne, people have told me that she could sponsor me to allow me to come live here, but we haven't lived together so we don't qualify for the defacto visa either.

All sounds like I'm asking for a bit much but any help or advice any of you guys or girls could offer would be appreciated greatly.

Cheers

Sean
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impatient 23 year old

Surely, if you are employing a migration agent, you should be asking him these questions????
This would be his area of expertise & that is what you are paying for!

If you qualify for PR, it really is the best option but it does require patience.
Good luck
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If it were possible to go over to Australia and work once the PR visa is lodged then don't you think all the people waiting would have done so? Patience is required during the visa process.

Your girlfriend would not be able to sponsor you as it stands, although if you were to propose a prospective spouse visa would get you over there. You would have to get married within nine months though so if you are not ready for that then I am not recommending that idea.

It is very difficult for most people to secure employer sponsorship from overseas, I have seen one or two people manage it but the majority have no luck. Even people with PR visas have no luck finding a job until they are in Australia. If you were to go over on a WHV you might be able to find a job, prove yourself and get sponsored before the six months is up.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Sean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really niceSean_Bruce is just really nice

I will just have to be patient then, marriage is something we've talked about but until we are in the same country we have decided its not the right option for us!
I just have to hope my PR goes through quickly and with no hold ups. My immigration agent seems to think it should take around 12 months hopefully less, in the grand scheme of things its not that long!
Cheers folks
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean_Bruce
Right folks,

I've applied for residency, well not yet
letters just sent away to allow the immigration agent to start my process. I work in the oil industry in Scotland as an Instrument Technician, I am trying to find work in Australia but everyone want's a work visa before i can apply, is there any visa's apart from working holiday that i could apply for to get me out there before residency comes through?
If i manage to get a job i would like it to be a long term job, one that i could continue after my residency. Sponsorship seem's to be the only option but not having any luck on finding any companies willing to sponsor me.
My girlfriend is from Melbourne, people have told me that she could sponsor me to allow me to come live here, but we haven't lived together so we don't qualify for the defacto visa either.

All sounds like I'm asking for a bit much but any help or advice any of you guys or girls could offer would be appreciated greatly.

Cheers

Sean
Typical you . . . being all impatient and everything . . .

Last edited by spartacus; Jul 21st 2010 at 5:32 am.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Right folks,

I've applied for residency, well not yet, letters just sent away to allow the immigration agent to start my process. I work in the oil industry in Scotland as an Instrument Technician, I am trying to find work in Australia but everyone want's a work visa before i can apply, is there any visa's apart from working holiday that i could apply for to get me out there before residency comes through?

Cheers

Sean
Here's some advice...Stop the blatant apostrophe abuse.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

first off welcome to the forums
You mentioned having applied for residency but not having a work visa, I am a little confused by that, not sure what residency you have applied for.

If you are qualified in your job and have relevent experience then why not apply for an independent proffesional visa so when you come over you are free to find any work you like. Sponsored company visa are rare but it certaintly isnt the only way to get over.

I would have thought a proffesional visa would be the way to go as you are purely going on your own skills and merits. Is this what you have applied for?

I am not sure what this residency visa you are thinking of is
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
first off welcome to the forums
You mentioned having applied for residency but not having a work visa, I am a little confused by that, not sure what residency you have applied for.

If you are qualified in your job and have relevent experience then why not apply for an independent proffesional visa so when you come over you are free to find any work you like. Sponsored company visa are rare but it certaintly isnt the only way to get over.

I would have thought a proffesional visa would be the way to go as you are purely going on your own skills and merits. Is this what you have applied for?

I am not sure what this residency visa you are thinking of is
I think OP is talking about a skilled migrant visa, same as you. It provides permanent residency hence use of the word. OP wants to know hot to get there whilst waiting for the visa to be processed, as that can take anything from a few months to a few years.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:16 am
Just Joined

I have applied for residency using my job and experience to give me enough points to qualify, which means if granted gives me the right to work in australia.

The whole work thing is me hoping to get a job here before the residency visa comes through, so i can get here earlier. But like Bermudashorts has said everyone would do it if it was possible. So my girlfriend and I will just have to be patient and keep getting used to the flight every few months until it is all sorted out.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have applied for residency using my job and experience to give me enough points to qualify, which means if granted gives me the right to work in australia.

The whole work thing is me hoping to get a job here before the residency visa comes through, so i can get here earlier. But like Bermudashorts has said everyone would do it if it was possible. So my girlfriend and I will just have to be patient and keep getting used to the flight every few months until it is all sorted out.
ahhh i see, okay thats a bit clearer. There is one other option, you could apply for a working holiday visa which you can do online and its granted within a day or so. This would let you come to aus straight away. You need to be under 30 and you are restricted to working for a company for 3months, although I have heard stories of companies either ignoring this 3 month rule or finding was around it.

I came over like that, stayed here while waiting for my visa which took nearly a year, it was processed as offshore even though I was in aus, once approved I had to have a couple days trip to new zealand to validate and it was sorted.

So if your under 30 that might be an option
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
You need to be under 30 and you are restricted to working for a company for 3months, although I have heard stories of companies either ignoring this 3 month rule or finding was around it.
It's been 6 months for some time now...and if you re read the original post you'll see the OP is already aware of that option.

Finding ways around it is not a good idea unless you fancy having any future visa chances jeopardised or delayed.