Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

immigrant big black hole??

immigrant big black hole??

Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB

sorry H you got me wrong there, but i can see how you could interpret it that way, keep posting we all enjoy your posts.
Didn't realise it was you that wrote it (not that it would have made a blind bit of difference ) But thanks for the clarification!!
I don't feel that i HAVE to post, but i do like to, and as i said i got so much info on here BEFORE i came, so why not continue the good work!
It is called British EXPATS after all
Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: immigrant big black hole??

Originally posted by dotty
Just what happens to the new arrivals. Almost every week on here you hear we got it, last post for a while, the packers are here, see you on the other side.............Come on guys surely the most useful info of all to the intending immies on here would be a full and proper rundown of what happens when you get here. Ya know areas, jobs, hours, travel, kids what school what work they do, housing, what else there is here apart from the obvious (beach/bbqs/parks). Living costs, healthcare etc.

Dont disappear when you get here, Post something
Though not a regular poster, I have posted whenever I felt I could reply, and announced “Got it� etc. However, since the last 2 years, I have been addicted to this site and cannot work on the computer, without first logging in here . It gives me my daily dose about the “Ups and Downs� on Oz, what to expect when we get there, and not blindly fly into Oz, with those “Rose tinted spectacles�. We have validated and are giving ourselves some time to sort everything out before making the final move. But I am sure everyone will agree, that once the visa is through, the next hurdle is making the move, and most importantly getting “A Job�, basically for two reasons, 1- if one is not really making the move with a hefty bank balance and going for a relaxed lifestyle, and 2- those who are working and are leaving a decent job back home to migrate. This is evident in most of the posts, where you notice any mention of “getting a job�, gets a prompt enquiry as to how did you get one. However if one notices, most of the job related threads on this site, get very few responses. Though not specific, I am sure some replies based on the opinions of people already settled in Oz., their trials with employment agencies, how they got their jobs (eg.thru agencies/advertising/family & friends) etc., will definitely be welcome. At least it gives one an idea on the job situation out there. After all, everyone using this site knows very well that these are just opinions, and not actual facts.
Cheers!
Sarah
Old Feb 29th 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
It never ceases to amaze me that people move to the other side of the world and still seek out "British" friends. Why don't you assimilate into the society in which you are now living, instead of having a go at others (who have truly assimilated)???

What a pathetic reply, I only mention my expat friends because that is what the THREAD is about , we have many Aussie friends too, we have never actively seeked out expats as friends you just seem to notice each other when out and about and things naturally progress from there, your assimilation has turned sour dont wish it on everyone else...
Old Feb 29th 2004, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by hevs
Hi all,,
got a few things to say on this!

Dotty, i've been posting and i hope that i have done some useful ones along with my drivel, such as capital gains and health care etc. I try to do a balence, last week i was home sick and i did let everyone know.

Polly i am looking forward to meeting you next week so we can winge about what it is that we don't know what it is we are missing But seriously it is an issue that came up which i never thought i'd expierience.

As for those who say maybe people who came here "get a life" thus pointing the finger at those of us that are still on here, 2 points.
1. you got all the info from here before you left yes? well why not return the favour
2. I am living in a beautiful place but its a bit isolated with no car, so this is a real link with lots of people who i have actually met, and like! So sue me!

Also the point made about only mixing with poms, i did a thread intitled "does it really matter who you are friends with" and quite frankly no it effin doesn't, as long as you can supoport one another, i don't care where someone is from.

Lastly, Badge, thanks for the loan of your ute. As for paying you, P*ss off, i've done my penance

Thats it, think i've covered everything and i shall continue to post, i don't care if you don't read it, it gives me something to do
H
keep posting girl!!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsy
H
keep posting girl!!
I intend to debs, how else are you gonna find out about the real grit of Oz, like showbags
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Well' of course I need to know about that kindda stuff as I am sure the kids will be asking for them
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by hevs
I intend to debs, how else are you gonna find out about the real grit of Oz, like showbags
"Showbags" damned expensive rubbish, half the time !