Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

immigrant big black hole??

immigrant big black hole??

Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:26 am
WBB

Originally posted by badgersmount
I seem to remember a film called WogBoy which seemed harmless enough, but OK. I thought it would be lik calling me a Pom.

cheers
just what i thought.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by karenvirginia
i agree with all of the above!
we arrived at end of september, stayed with brother in sydney first for 10 days. a big help having a proper address for stuff like driving test, bank account, tax file and medicare applications etc. btw i have citizenship (but always lived in england, aussie mom died when i was 4) and alan is here on spouse visa, which took about 6 months start to finish to arrive. our 20 foot container with all our worldly goods had left 15th august and was on the way.
we knew we wanted to actually live on the nsw/qld border as on previous visits (holidays) this was the area we thought most liveable for us. alan is a builder, had his own business for years so we planned to buy, renovate, and sell, a few times to make money for a few years. well, we drove up here having picked up new ute in sydney we'd ordered from england, and stayed at a resort in the area which we'd also arranged months before. we knew we would have to rent first, found a 2 bed duplex, privately owned and took a 6 month rental at $200 per week. we are still here and leave april 14th. very comfortable and owner kind enough to let us use some of her stuff till our shipment arrived. this was a HUGE help fridge, tv, sofa, microwave etc. as to rent these things for a short time was expensive. when our stuff came it was like christmas and birthdays all together, nothing missing or broken, though evidence of boxes being examined as they were re-taped up, so very pleased no extra charges only the normal customs as expected. i would advise people to bring everything they own, tools, cooking stuff, sewing things, books, office stuff, clothes etc. it really does help you settle and would be horrendously expensive to replace. its more the little things than big things i think that mean so much.
we also started looking to buy somewhere in the region of $250k - this was hard, everywhere was being snapped up at that time and there was very little in our price range which needed renovating or extending. we started to panic, all the talk of property prices going up almost daily :scared: etc. then an agent suggested murwillumbah, which is about 15 minutes inland along the tweed river and we went to see 4 properties at the right price. to cut a long story short, we did buy an "uphouse" (old queenslander type, bricked in at bottom) for $245k and got the keys december 15th. during this time i'd been half heartedly looking for work, i have an admin background, telephony etc. there is not much about down here, seems to be mostly franchised businesses who employ family! i took a telesales job but only lasted 3 weeks, it was purgatory! i am not a saleswoman at all and was useless! then i got a job at a new oap home to start in february. so, christmas came and went, we flew down to sydney for a few days and started on the house straight after. all this time we are enjoying ourselves btw! we have made a few friends, al has a golfing partner and we all get together at least once a week for nights at the club, swimming, barbies (yes dotty plenty of those, but i'm not bored yet!) i even saw bryan ferry at twin towns a couple of weeks ago. we have a little tinnie (boat) and go fishing on the river quite often, too.
alan is ploughing on in the house, ripped out most of what was there inside, the horrid old bathroom, kitchen etc. we have redesigned it and moved walls etc. it is to be completely reboarded in gyproc, insulated and we have created 3 ensuite bedrooms, office blah blah blah. al is frustrated by the licences required to do some of the plumbing and electrics, all of which he is perfectly capable of doing himself. they are licence mad here! other posts discuss this more fully.
anyway, i help al and do the garden, the grass seems to grow a foot a week. there are bigger and scarier bugs to contend with, i wear boots and gloves in the garden after al nearly stepped on a brown snake! numerous cane toads -bad, green frogs - good, galahs, lorikeets etc. love it. all the time thinking that i'll be working soon at the oap home. well, it has fallen through as builders well behind schedule, surprise surprise and it could be months so i began to search again. "proper" jobs require a cv written just so, i took advice and had to completely revamp mine. i have a few applications in at the local council (waiting to hear now)and have had a few letters where i did'nt even get an interview. but..... the week before last i saw an ad in a window at the drycleaners in murwillumbah for a dressmaker, i applied, had a three day paid trial and they have taken me on! four days a week, i do the alterations and book in the cleaning which is picked up daily by a driver. its really very relaxing, never dreamt i'd sew for a living. suppose i could earn more elsewhere but money is not everything. it is just a five minute walk to our new house.
basically, we love it here, maybe too soon to say its forever, but i hope so. what i miss: the usual, family, friends, familiarity and my cats!
what i don't miss: the traffic, the cold, the dull grimness of the sky, the monotony
what bugs us: speeding fines! al has had two
licences, not supposed to even wire a plug without one! the australian internet search engines work differently (seems hard to find things we are after)
what we love: the weather - mostly ( a bit hot last week!)
the space, the scenery, the clubs, the laid back lifestyle, meeting people, chatting with expats
so, plans changed a bit, we have decided to live in the house we are doing for a few years probably, and hopefully borrow against the added value to buy the next one, and that will just be a quick reno to sell. we have to remember the capital gains tax etc but sure it will be worthwhile. we would like to be nearer the coast within the next five years.
hope this little story of everyday expat life is helpful to someone!
karen
Karen

What a great post. It was a pleasure to read. Hopefully when I get to the Gold Coast later this year we can arrange our own Gold Coast picnic as I know that there will be a few of us there then.

Good luck with the house and your new job and dont forget to keep us updated.

debs
Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WBB
just what i thought.

I guess it's not outwardly offensive to all but it is to some...I know from family in Oz that it can be a contentious term.

There was 'race row' article in the Herald Sun a couple of weeks ago about a Greek man unhappy at being called a wog. Can't find the article now but got the headline:

12feb04 A GREEK-born man will take a bayside yacht club to the Equal
Opportunity Commission over claims he was mocked regularly and branded a wog ...
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:43 pm
WBB

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I guess it's not outwardly offensive to all but it is to some...I know from family in Oz that it can be a contentious term.

There was 'race row' article in the Herald Sun a couple of weeks ago about a Greek man unhappy at being called a wog. Can't find the article now but got the headline:

12feb04 A GREEK-born man will take a bayside yacht club to the Equal
Opportunity Commission over claims he was mocked regularly and branded a wog ...
i dont suppose it is any different to the english being called pom's or the welsh being called taffy. some people will sue for anything these days, if i sued everytime i was called a sheep shagger or a welsh ****** i would be a rich man.

as far as i remember wogball was a widely used term in australia, well in 97 it was, things may of changed.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

No black hole ... quite the opposite. I've been here 5 months bought house car and more, it would be quite easy to winge and moan about the price of this and the tax on that but its not the UK and things are going to be different so get on with it.
Some of us used this forum while we needed it but now we are getting on with our new lifes, we have met expats from this site and people who have never heard of it and no body I have met has any intention of returning, not everybodys life revolves around this forum.
Some things are dearer somethings are stranger some things are different the telly is crap but we dont stay inside as much now,
got three job offers immediately and after 3 months working for someone I've started a small business and I'm doing OK.
I can speak for the circle of friends we have made whilst out here some have been here for months some for years but nobody hates it here they all love it.
everybody is looking for different things it may be your cup of tea it might not be,
This forum is not a true example of the real world.
A lot of the whingers on here are the ones who are unable to get a job in Oz, its a shame they didnt research the job scene before they came, dont blame it on Oz.
any way thats it for a week or so now I'm of to have a life
I suggest you try it Dotty before you back to the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good posts!

ALL keep posting!

I think I will keep posting once in Perth, I'm very open, and so will post about lots of details!!

But if I'm not posting enough in that time, pm me and tell me to!! Cos I owe it to this site!

I personally find the 'negative' posts the most useful. Posts about what hasn't gone well, how people are feeling, what's difficult, people moving back etc.
All the 'positive' stuff in fun and interesting to read, but people posting about finding a great car and house and the weather being great, isn't THAT usefull.
BUT, still usefull enough though!

I also thought wog was a derogatory (?) term, like nigger and abo.
Pommie I see more as a name/joke, though I guess some people might also use it as an insult, and that's why I guess all these types of things shouldn't really be used......
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
No black hole ... quite the opposite. I've been here 5 months bought house car and more, it would be quite easy to winge and moan about the price of this and the tax on that but its not the UK and things are going to be different so get on with it.
Some of us used this forum while we needed it but now we are getting on with our new lifes, we have met expats from this site and people who have never heard of it and no body I have met has any intention of returning, not everybodys life revolves around this forum.
Some things are dearer somethings are stranger some things are different the telly is crap but we dont stay inside as much now,
got three job offers immediately and after 3 months working for someone I've started a small business and I'm doing OK.
I can speak for the circle of friends we have made whilst out here some have been here for months some for years but nobody hates it here they all love it.
everybody is looking for different things it may be your cup of tea it might not be,
This forum is not a true example of the real world.
A lot of the whingers on here are the ones who are unable to get a job in Oz, its a shame they didnt research the job scene before they came, dont blame it on Oz.
any way thats it for a week or so now I'm of to have a life
I suggest you try it Dotty before you back to the UK.
It never ceases to amaze me that people move to the other side of the world and still seek out "British" friends. Why don't you assimilate into the society in which you are now living, instead of having a go at others (who have truly assimilated)???
Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

I must say I have really enjoyed reading this thread.
Thanks to you all.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
It never ceases to amaze me that people move to the other side of the world and still seek out "British" friends. Why don't you assimilate into the society in which you are now living, instead of having a go at others (who have truly assimilated)???
Birds of a feather and all that.

Actually when we stopped off at a campsite in Guilderton, (the rule is quite after 10pm) in the middle of the campsite was a big group, very noisy, drinking, shouting, swearing etc. into the early hours, our first thoughts were it was a bunch of bloody Aussies.

I am ashamed to say it was a bunch of british expats. Despite being warned on several occasions they continued to do this all weekend. Plus Kids running riot.

Talking to the manageress one morning and she said the worst people are always groups of British Expats who have no respect for anyone else on the site.

We found with Aussies on camping holiday they take over the whole area, 4 wheel drive, boat, big caravan, awning, tent, big bbq, full size fridge!!! they do it in style with a good degree of comfort. and when they leave you would never know they have been.

Unlike when the Brits left, beer bottles and rubbish all over the place. No doubt most on this forum would find that as appalling as we did, but how sad that the impression the site managers had of groups of Brits was such a poor one.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
I seem to remember a film called WogBoy which seemed harmless enough, but OK. I thought it would be like calling me a Pom. Certainly offensive in Europe, admittedly, which in a rather strange way makes the use of the word here rather a laugh - in a smutty schoolboy kind of way - but not over here.

cheers

edited for spelling mistake and added content
It depends on the context the term is used. Those migrants that came here in the fifties and sixties do not see the term as funny because it was used as a hate term rather than joking around. Continental Europeans were regarded just above Aborigines back then. Be careful with the use of the word but fortunately time has healed.

Your comment regarding the rotary club demonstrates that Oz is as fair go as the UK. Its who you know that matters.

That is the best post you have made since you got here. Keep posting along with everyone else.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,,
got a few things to say on this!

Dotty, i've been posting and i hope that i have done some useful ones along with my drivel, such as capital gains and health care etc. I try to do a balence, last week i was home sick and i did let everyone know.

Polly i am looking forward to meeting you next week so we can winge about what it is that we don't know what it is we are missing But seriously it is an issue that came up which i never thought i'd expierience.

As for those who say maybe people who came here "get a life" thus pointing the finger at those of us that are still on here, 2 points.
1. you got all the info from here before you left yes? well why not return the favour
2. I am living in a beautiful place but its a bit isolated with no car, so this is a real link with lots of people who i have actually met, and like! So sue me!

Also the point made about only mixing with poms, i did a thread intitled "does it really matter who you are friends with" and quite frankly no it effin doesn't, as long as you can supoport one another, i don't care where someone is from.

Lastly, Badge, thanks for the loan of your ute. As for paying you, P*ss off, i've done my penance

Thats it, think i've covered everything and i shall continue to post, i don't care if you don't read it, it gives me something to do
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:57 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigrant big black hole??

Originally posted by WBB
i see badgers has rubbed off on you
Hmmm those are pics we didn't see from your trip Badge. Well that explains what you did during the powercuts
Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:46 pm
WBB

Originally posted by hevs
As for those who say maybe people who came here "get a life" thus pointing the finger at those of us that are still on here

sorry H you got me wrong there, but i can see how you could interpret it that way, keep posting we all enjoy your posts.

what i am annoyed at is that some people think once you get here you HAVE to post, for me it is not like that, people like yourself (and HUP) polly and all the others who left in the last few months still post, but nowhere near as near as much as you used too while you were waiting to go, that is probably how it should be....if you get my drift.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:46 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[ours, our first thoughts were it was a bunch of bloody Aussies.

I am ashamed to say it was a bunch of british expats. Despite being warned on several occasions they continued to do this all weekend. Plus Kids running riot.

Talking to the manageress one morning and she said the worst people are always groups of British Expats who have no respect for anyone else on the site.

sorry to say, we saw the same thing in a Mildura camp park, a mixture of british and european back packers , the police had to be called after the manager was beaten up ,for trying to quiet them down ................mm
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
sorry to say, we saw the same thing in a Mildura camp park, a mixture of british and european back packers , the police had to be called after the manager was beaten up ,for trying to quiet them down ................mm
I dont think we would have found it so bad if they had been backpackers but they were 30s+ with kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.