Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

immigrant big black hole??

immigrant big black hole??

Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

yes, changing the curtains for ours and putting our own pictures up really makes adifference. even if our stuff is green and the decor is blue!
today, al been sorting through our videos, found some real gems! queen live at wembley 1982, old harry enfield, frank skinner, billy connolly.... forgot we ever taped them! things like this just help. when i hear someone say "i'm just taking a suitcase" i do wonder how they'll cope. maybe i put too much importance on MY things??!!
hows the racq? did i tell you i worked for the rac in england for 5 years?
all the best to you and bloke xx
Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty, we must meet up before you escape back to snowy England!
We are off to Melbourne for a week for our delayed honeymoon, but maybe after that we can get together one evening? You know we're on the north side, so not so far for either of us! or if you're in Spring Hill one day, we could have a girlie lunch!

Karen,
Its weird isn't it, what makes you feel at home - I am currently watching "Have I got news for you" from about 4 years ago!

RACQ is good, though not what I'm used to - bit behind the UK computer-wise, everything done on paper as well, but they are a good bunch of blokes, and seem to have taken a liking to their new Pommie admin girl!!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 28th 2004 at 5:05 am.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Pollyana
Dotty, we must meet up before you escape back to snowy England!
We are off to Melbourne for a week for our delayed honeymoon, but maybe after that we can get together one evening? You know we're on the north side, so not so far for either of us! or if you're in Spring Hill one day, we could have a girlie lunch!

We are in Bris quite a bit in April, shall send you a PM after your honeymoon, just dont start BBQing please See ya then.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigrant big black hole??

Originally posted by WBB
yes, i have seen that aimed at people who try to give an opinion, they sometimes get shot down in flames by the likes of dotty and ceri among others if they give an opinion that australia has anything to offer so i understand that.

BTW i see badgers has rubbed off on you...yadda yadda

:scared: (I really would prefer a scream, but it's close enough!)

From what I've seen, Dotty and myself (and no doubt others) do not shoot people down in flames if they have something good to say about Oz. We both have good things to say about Oz.

What we get pissed-off about is the almost blind 'Oz is wonderful and you are obviously too dense/bitter to see it' stuff we get from some posters. These are the Aussie Witnesses. If these people think OZ is wonderful, I am happy for them. But, don't expect - just like religious fanatics - all others to support this blind belief.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:37 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the fact that the posts of people here (In Oz) are amongst the most useful, both positive and negative. Personally I feel a lot of info from here adjusted my expectations which I hope will mean I'm more realistic about what to expect now we've arrived. I will continue to post, I'm not too worried if everyones interested, theres no obligation to read them all
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
I agree with the fact that the posts of people here (In Oz) are amongst the most useful, both positive and negative. Personally I feel a lot of info from here adjusted my expectations which I hope will mean I'm more realistic about what to expect now we've arrived. I will continue to post, I'm not too worried if everyones interested, theres no obligation to read them all
That's probably the best attitude to have
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:09 am
Badge

Default My story

I have semi-retired off this board after i allowed myself to get sucked in to an argument - silly boy! - with our old colleague Mr Stanton.

I will continue to post however if specific help is asked for. I have better things to do - tonight I have to help man the gate at the local village show.(!) Thanks Hevs for getting me that.

OK. My story is, I love Australia, warts and all. Yes, I know people can't read and write, people are stupid, obtuse, mediocre (!!!!!) etc but in the main I find living in Australia a congenial thing to do. I now have 14 months experience living in Australia; now some may say that my first 12 was all holiday, but much of it was living out of a spare room in my cousin's babysitting, and working 9-5, and then studying nights for my RPL assessment, so no new home, transport, bbq etc for me. I also gained contacts and new practical skills in the event I have to ditch my first career. Luckily I am pretty adaptable and have had several careers - all of which I can resurrect.

I am still looking for work, but if I have to be honest, much of my work has been preparation hitherto - watch the agencies like a hawk! I was about to mail shot 100 companies last week, but realised my covering letter was not going to get noticed - I have now got a marketing strategy which a mate of mine who is in marketing in Sydney helped me with. Get it right, I may get a percentage response, get it wrong though, and rush it, then get no response at all. This marketing campaign content will also go straight on to my business website, so i can pick up freelance work in IT and security. I am about to apply for a ABN - now I am cooking on gas with all the facts on GST etc. It's all quite simple. Simpler than the Uk it seems. As it happens I wrote a GST program 2 years ago so can use that - and sell it on as well. ;-)

It's great knowing that although I am in a 'backward' country with no shops to speak of(;-)) , I am still in a country's 2nd biggest city with some 4 million odd people. I am only 1 hr from all I need - even theatres and nightlife. Yu can walk out of Spencer Steet and there is none of that noise you get in London. It's so bloody quiet!

20 mins drive is the foothills of the Dandedongs - I was out training in them the other day when I had a listless moring. top tip - if you're feeling lethargic, it is boring looking for work after all - go out and exercise - good cure. Come home and then have a beer - you will have earnt it.

I like Australia as I like having a house! For 4 reasons.
1)It's great having a room to study and work in. I can keep the lounge room clean, no clutter.
2)My ute is only 5 m away. Maybe less.
3)The bins are only 5 m away. Maybe less.
4)The garden is only 5m away. Maybe less.
This makes a big difference to your quality of life, seriously(!) - living in a flat for so long I hadn't realised how these little things would make life easier.

There are many who say that big houses are not everything , well I am in a small aussie starter home, and I tell you now, it's better than a unit or flat. So if you are coming to Australia genuinely because you want a house or/and garden it's not a bad thing.

If I had to return to the UK I would also miss my ute. I would not be able to afford a new twin cab 4x4 with tray and then pay the commerical insurance, and I don't think I could get a twin cab 10 yrs old in the UK, only the 'posh' suburban housewives ones.
Utes are good - whether you buy a car ute, that is what a ute is really,or the pickup types: They are"
1)Useful - REALLY useful - if I charged every time someone borrowed it I would be keeping myself in food for the week. Stick your company website or the missus's website all over it. Free advertising!! I can even get a child seat for the back. Can I? Or is this not a good idea?!!
2)Doesn't matter if I bang a panel on the back
3)Good visiblility in traffic - makes a big difference I've noticed. Makes a bit of a jam less tiresome.

I would also miss driving at 80-100k everywhere - this keeps my 2.5 diesel engine economical to run.

The other top tip is to join every social club going. Every one. Here is a tip based on experience. I have a military background -now the thing with this is that you get to work with very self-discliplined, motivated, switched on blokes and eventually you will earn respect and fit in. As soon as this happens, friendships and networks click in. It's the way it works - you need something doing, and a bloke will be there for you, as you will be there for him. A simple philosophy.

It's not enough to to the local pub, or meet the neighbours or join a union.

Now I can't joing the Army reserve as Mrs B would kill me, shame as you get a trade, and alot out of it, so I have joined

1) rotary - a bunch of older blokes - but so what - you may get a job out of it. They are all fairly fair dinkum. And carry a fair bit of clout in the community too - my cousin got a mortgage as a result after he had been rejected by everyone else.

2) A sporting club. Again this being Australia, there is more hand codes of football around, a game which also encourages teamwork, effort yadda yadda

The first rugby union club I went to a few guys said hello but I was not that impressed as we played touch for 30mins - I prefer to do the hard yards - the phys and the rest. The League club was great every player arrives and shakes hands with everyone, says his name to the new guys. One guy took me under his wing and introduced me to everyone. The coaches are smart and thoughtful, and said "you'll get a game if you want one". I want to maintain fitness, but I still fancy a game once in a while so who knows....

now I've never played League, but now I am hooked. It suits me as I am compact and fast, (in union there is always an excuse to be overweight) and the workrate is extreme; until you train, you just don't realise. I loved it! Came away grinning like the cheshire cat. First time i have been pushed like that for 7 years!! Can't wait to go back on Tuesday. I came home with a spring in my step. Mrs B is also chuffed as she made me promise I would keep fit in her absence!!! whew!

One guy asked me about my background, he said go away and get a certificate in this (a week's course), come back and I'll get you work. (Maybe all talk ;-) )So join clubs, don't be shy.

Another top tip is, forget the UK - hard if you have family there, but really get in to the little aspects of aussie culture, don't stay up trying to get wogball on SBS at 3am, do something aussie, go to the local shows and get in to the culture. Get the stubby holder, get the local paper, read it, digest it, someone gives you a chance - don't say 'No' - you can always say 'No' later if it is not for you. Say Yes and give it a go. By doing this, then you won't be earmarked as a Pom, or even, a whinger. They'll think 'God he's just like us'. This was my attitude my first 12 months, when I was out with a bunch of blokes the fact that you'd had a go at the things they grew up with seems to help the assimilation process. I've heard a story of a Pom who gave up quickly, and he soon lost respect all round, he was allowed to give up of course, but it was his attitude.

One last thing, I don't think Australia is paradise. You will never see me down the beach - heck I don't like getting wet or sandy. I do prefer the pace of life though, and no amount of the "no culture, no shopping" brigade will stop that. I liked the Uk for many things but genuinely I personally can get all what i liked over there over here, except the utes are better(!), the beer is colder, and the footy is FIRST CLASS. I'm on to a winner with this League club - shame I am not younger but there's a few years left in me yet. I might miss long summer evenings here in Melbourne - it's actually not too bad as we are further from the equator than Brissy - or even Sydney, can't think of anything else - (he says scratching his head). I would never want to convert someone going back. What works for me would not work for them, but I do get fed up having my new country pushed around just because it didn't work for them, or, more likely, they just want to go home because they fancy it and they CAN ;- Good for them. But I will not insult anyone, or a nation, over it.

any questions, PM me.

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 28th 2004 at 6:42 am.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:28 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Don't anyone even think of pissing on Badge's ute or they'll get their bum ripped to shreads - by me:
(apologies Badge)
Attached Thumbnails immigrant big black hole??-megalania01.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:35 am
Badge

you're alright, Megs.

Badge

Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My story

Originally posted by badgersmount
but I do get fed up having my new country pushed around just because it didn't work for them, or, more likely, they just want to go home because they fancy it and they CAN ;- Good for them. But I will not insult anyone, or a nation, over it.
badge
Your post brought a lump to my throat.

I think Australia is the lucky one here - lucky that someone as appreciative and as sensible as you, wants to live here.

I wish you the very best.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

you're alright, Megs.

Badge

Badge its good to hear you are doing OK and settled in. But please keep taking the tablets. (joking of course) keep posting.

Last edited by karawara88; Feb 28th 2004 at 12:01 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:18 am
WBB

Default Re: My story

I have semi-retired off this board after i allowed myself to get sucked in to an argument - silly boy! - with our old colleague Mr Stanton.

I will continue to post however if specific help is asked for. I have better things to do - tonight I have to help man the gate at the local village show.(!) Thanks Hevs for getting me that.

OK. My story is, I love Australia, warts and all. Yes, I know people can't read and write, people are stupid, obtuse, mediocre (!!!!!) etc but in the main I find living in Australia a congenial thing to do. I now have 14 months experience living in Australia; now some may say that my first 12 was all holiday, but much of it was living out of a spare room in my cousin's babysitting, and working 9-5, and then studying nights for my RPL assessment, so no new home, transport, bbq etc for me. I also gained contacts and new practical skills in the event I have to ditch my first career. Luckily I am pretty adaptable and have had several careers - all of which I can resurrect.

I am still looking for work, but if I have to be honest, much of my work has been preparation hitherto - watch the agencies like a hawk! I was about to mail shot 100 companies last week, but realised my covering letter was not going to get noticed - I have now got a marketing strategy which a mate of mine who is in marketing in Sydney helped me with. Get it right, I may get a percentage response, get it wrong though, and rush it, then get no response at all. This marketing campaign content will also go straight on to my business website, so i can pick up freelance work in IT and security. I am about to apply for a ABN - now I am cooking on gas with all the facts on GST etc. It's all quite simple. Simpler than the Uk it seems. As it happens I wrote a GST program 2 years ago so can use that - and sell it on as well. ;-)

It's great knowing that although I am in a 'backward' country with no shops to speak of(;-)) , I am still in a country's 2nd biggest city with some 4 million odd people. I am only 1 hr from all I need - even theatres and nightlife. Yu can walk out of Spencer Steet and there is none of that noise you get in London. It's so bloody quiet!

20 mins drive is the foothills of the Dandedongs - I was out training in them the other day when I had a listless moring. top tip - if you're feeling lethargic, it is boring looking for work after all - go out and exercise - good cure. Come home and then have a beer - you will have earnt it.

I like Australia as I like having a house! For 4 reasons.
1)It's great having a room to study and work in. I can keep the lounge room clean, no clutter.
2)My ute is only 5 m away. Maybe less.
3)The bins are only 5 m away. Maybe less.
4)The garden is only 5m away. Maybe less.
This makes a big difference to your quality of life, seriously(!) - living in a flat for so long I hadn't realised how these little things would make life easier.

There are many who say that big houses are not everything , well I am in a small aussie starter home, and I tell you now, it's better than a unit or flat. So if you are coming to Australia genuinely because you want a house or/and garden it's not a bad thing.

If I had to return to the UK I would also miss my ute. I would not be able to afford a new twin cab 4x4 with tray and then pay the commerical insurance, and I don't think I could get a twin cab 10 yrs old in the UK, only the 'posh' suburban housewives ones.
Utes are good - whether you buy a car ute, that is what a ute is really,or the pickup types: They are"
1)Useful - REALLY useful - if I charged every time someone borrowed it I would be keeping myself in food for the week. Stick your company website or the missus's website all over it. Free advertising!! I can even get a child seat for the back. Can I? Or is this not a good idea?!!
2)Doesn't matter if I bang a panel on the back
3)Good visiblility in traffic - makes a big difference I've noticed. Makes a bit of a jam less tiresome.

I would also miss driving at 80-100k everywhere - this keeps my 2.5 diesel engine economical to run.

The other top tip is to join every social club going. Every one. Here is a tip based on experience. I have a military background -now the thing with this is that you get to work with very self-discliplined, motivated, switched on blokes and eventually you will earn respect and fit in. As soon as this happens, friendships and networks click in. It's the way it works - you need something doing, and a bloke will be there for you, as you will be there for him. A simple philosophy.

It's not enough to to the local pub, or meet the neighbours or join a union.

Now I can't joing the Army reserve as Mrs B would kill me, shame as you get a trade, and alot out of it, so I have joined

1) rotary - a bunch of older blokes - but so what - you may get a job out of it. They are all fairly fair dinkum. And carry a fair bit of clout in the community too - my cousin got a mortgage as a result after he had been rejected by everyone else.

2) A sporting club. Again this being Australia, there is more hand codes of football around, a game which also encourages teamwork, effort yadda yadda

The first rugby union club I went to a few guys said hello but I was not that impressed as we played touch for 30mins - I prefer to do the hard yards - the phys and the rest. The League club was great every player arrives and shakes hands with everyone, says his name to the new guys. One guy took me under his wing and introduced me to everyone. The coaches are smart and thoughtful, and said "you'll get a game if you want one". I want to maintain fitness, but I still fancy a game once in a while so who knows....

now I've never played League, but now I am hooked. It suits me as I am compact and fast, (in union there is always an excuse to be overweight) and the workrate is extreme; until you train, you just don't realise. I loved it! Came away grinning like the cheshire cat. First time i have been pushed like that for 7 years!! Can't wait to go back on Tuesday. I came home with a spring in my step. Mrs B is also chuffed as she made me promise I would keep fit in her absence!!! whew!

One guy asked me about my background, he said go away and get a certificate in this (a week's course), come back and I'll get you work. (Maybe all talk ;-) )So join clubs, don't be shy.

Another top tip is, forget the UK - hard if you have family there, but really get in to the little aspects of aussie culture, don't stay up trying to get wogball on SBS at 3am, do something aussie, go to the local shows and get in to the culture. Get the stubby holder, get the local paper, read it, digest it, someone gives you a chance - don't say 'No' - you can always say 'No' later if it is not for you. Say Yes and give it a go. By doing this, then you won't be earmarked as a Pom, or even, a whinger. They'll think 'God he's just like us'. This was my attitude my first 12 months, when I was out with a bunch of blokes the fact that you'd had a go at the things they grew up with seems to help the assimilation process. I've heard a story of a Pom who gave up quickly, and he soon lost respect all round, he was allowed to give up of course, but it was his attitude.

One last thing, I don't think Australia is paradise. You will never see me down the beach - heck I don't like getting wet or sandy. I do prefer the pace of life though, and no amount of the "no culture, no shopping" brigade will stop that. I liked the Uk for many things but genuinely I personally can get all what i liked over there over here, except the utes are better(!), the beer is colder, and the footy is FIRST CLASS. I'm on to a winner with this League club - shame I am not younger but there's a few years left in me yet. I might miss long summer evenings here in Melbourne - it's actually not too bad as we are further from the equator than Brissy - or even Sydney, can't think of anything else - (he says scratching his head). I would never want to convert someone going back. What works for me would not work for them, but I do get fed up having my new country pushed around just because it didn't work for them, or, more likely, they just want to go home because they fancy it and they CAN ;- Good for them. But I will not insult anyone, or a nation, over it.

any questions, PM me.

badge
great post badge but do NOT retire mate, we need your posts on here even if it is only a couple of times a week...you have to look in, don't let the trolls and anti aus brigade get to you.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Badgers, great to hear you are settling in. Just want to add for what it's worth "wog", "wogball" etc are derogatory terms in Oz and not appreciated by many of Mediterranean origin. My brother-in-law falls into the latter category being first Aussie born generation of Italian migrants - 'wog' is not a term they take too kindly to - I guess it's on a par with calling someone a 'nigger'.

HP
Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:12 am
Badge

Originally posted by karawara88
Badge its good to hear you are doing OK and settled in. But please keep taking the tablets.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:15 am
Badge

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Badgers, great to hear you are settling in. Just want to add for what it's worth "wog", "wogball" etc are derogatory terms in Oz and not appreciated by many of Mediterranean origin. My brother-in-law falls into the latter category being first Aussie born generation of Italian migrants - 'wog' is not a term they take too kindly to - I guess it's on a par with calling someone a 'nigger'.

HP
I seem to remember a film called WogBoy which seemed harmless enough, but OK. I thought it would be like calling me a Pom. Certainly offensive in Europe, admittedly, which in a rather strange way makes the use of the word here rather a laugh - in a smutty schoolboy kind of way - but not over here.

cheers

edited for spelling mistake and added content

Last edited by badgersmount; Feb 28th 2004 at 10:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.