Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm teaching the kids the Australian National Anthem

Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm teaching the kids the Australian National Anthem

we only just all got our passports (there are 6 of us) and I have sent off my application for registration with NBNSW... so I can get a modified skills assessment from ANMC...

Is it too soon?

I am also working on the "scream when you see a spider and run..." rather than the boys usual..."here mum look what I found" (displays slightly crumpled eight legged thing in palm of hand)

They picked up quite easily that it's okay for them to say 'bloody' and 'bastard' (politely of course)

What else should I teach them about Oz before we go, to help them fit in... we have plenty of time...
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:10 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm teaching the kids the Australian National Anthem

Originally Posted by eddie007

we only just all got our passports (there are 6 of us) and I have sent off my application for registration with NBNSW... so I can get a modified skills assessment from ANMC...

Is it too soon?

I am also working on the "scream when you see a spider and run..." rather than the boys usual..."here mum look what I found" (displays slightly crumpled eight legged thing in palm of hand)

They picked up quite easily that it's okay for them to say 'bloody' and 'bastard' (politely of course)

What else should I teach them about Oz before we go, to help them fit in... we have plenty of time...
"bugga mate, I aint no bladdy whinging pom"

National anthem ? You want the mp3 or just lyrics ? waltzing matilda's easy to come by
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Is it too soon?

Hi
I wouldn't bother learning anything but the chorus and first verse, nobody in Aus knows anything else!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi
I wouldn't bother learning anything but the chorus and first verse, nobody in Aus knows anything else!
Remember we had to re-learn 'our' anthem, that old one about happy and glorious, god save our gracious queen etc didn't have much in it.

OzTennis
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Teach them that its ok to go to supermarkets with no shoes on ......... (disgusting habit, I hate seeing little kids doing it - so scared they will hurt their feet on something)
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Teach them that its ok to go to supermarkets with no shoes on ......... (disgusting habit, I hate seeing little kids doing it - so scared they will hurt their feet on something)
You need to do some missionary work in the outback teaching all those people with no shoes on that it is a disgusting habit.

OzTennis
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:50 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You need to do some missionary work in the outback teaching all those people with no shoes on that it is a disgusting habit.

OzTennis
they are just kids afterall, they dont have money for their own shoes
Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:05 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi
That's cos Advance Australia Fair is mostly racist rubbish & the rest of it is generally ignored
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
That's cos Advance Australia Fair is mostly racist rubbish & the rest of it is generally ignored
Go on, enlighten one?? You've claimed it's racist, explain.

I'll accept nationalistic because it lauds the country and its riches etc but how is that racist? Does it run down other countries or races? Most national anthems are nationalistic by definition - except maybe the Spanish which is one of the few without words.

Incidentally it was written by an early British Expat - a Scotsman - and was first performed on St Andrew's Day in 1878 - hence the girt etc language.

Just in case anyone wants to know its origins and how it was voted in as the anthem:

http://www.hamilton.net.au/advance.html

OzTennis
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:31 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I'm teaching the kids the Australian National Anthem

They'll stick out like a sore thumb; most Aussies take great pride in knowing the first verse and little else.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They'll stick out like a sore thumb; most Aussies take great pride in knowing the first verse and little else.
ok... I haven't got as far as the second verse so will stop there...
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Is it too soon?

pmsl. So they'll be getting off the plane saying gday mate ROFL.
I make cards for a hobby and have already bought peel off stickers with Oz greetings and rubber stamps of 'drop' bears (kaola bears)
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I'm teaching the kids the Australian National Anthem

ok... I haven't got as far as the second verse so will stop there...
Sorted!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it too soon?

Id just make sure that they have all the relevant paperwork for when they hit 18 and decide to earn real money and get a proper life in Britain/Europe.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: I'm teaching the kids the Australian National Anthem

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Id just make sure that they have all the relevant paperwork for when they hit 18 and decide to earn real money and get a proper life in Britain/Europe.
Booked your flight yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.