Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Im still scared to go to Brisbane

Im still scared to go to Brisbane

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by buglegirl
Rain. Nobody told me about rain. Thats not suppose to happen in OZ is it. Oh well. Ill feel right at home!!
The rain is different here though, the air temp is still warm !! 26C where I am. You walk outside and let the rain fall on you and its lovely Unless of course its REALLY bucketing down, in which case you take cover , Fast.

You are going to Ferny Grove, slightly North West of Brisbane, nice and convenient for the City, it's even got a railway station.

Within a few days you will forget all your old worries, and enjoy the new ...... moments, was going to say "new worries" Just joking

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Why don't you try and meet up with others already in Brisbane, I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers from this forum, if you need them, they're such a friendly bunch!
If you'd met us sandy you wouldnt be saying that .

The rain I think started on Tuesday/Wednesday & its been bucketing down. Manly road was underwater this morning when Dagboy went to work, our house is going to float away soon :scared: . I think the rain is supposed to disappear about Sunday/Monday according to the BOM.

ABC, Dagboy says the same thing, he doesnt mind the rain here one bit as its warm.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

gypsey is an unknown quantity at this point

been exactly where you are now.
i left england in august last year and it is really hard.at the end of the day no matter what great ideals you have of the country it will never turn out as expected,good or bad.
we came back in october because of alot of reasons,mainly crime ,but are now considering going back as i have now realoised that the crime is in england as well its just that you dont feel as threatened by what you know.
just keep telling yourself that of course you will feel vunerable at firsy because it is not what you are used to.it may be a westernised country but the culture is totally different.
it doesnt mean its worse or that you are more at risk,its just different.
it will take time to get settled but do give it a chance.
i am the prime example of someone who didnt and am now regretting it.
and the funniest part to this story is that i am australian.(although spent along time in england).
it all comes down to what you know and what you are used to.
but it can work if you make the effort and give it a chance.
and anyway the east coast aussies are much more friendly than the west coast aussies.
dont know why but its a proven fact.and i am from perth originally but would swear by queensland every time.especialy north queensland.
i wish you all the luck and happiness in the world.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My first experience of Austrlia was getting a cab from the airport. The cabby was very twitchy and speaking like someone who had been partying on speed all night. A very strange experience after getting off an overnight flight.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

not the best of starts,eh?
but i dont think you,d feel quite as concerned if it had been in england.again,its what you are used too.
where are you going to? and where in aus have you been?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:59 pm

Originally posted by gypsey
not the best of starts,eh?
but i dont think you,d feel quite as concerned if it had been in england.again,its what you are used too.
where are you going to? and where in aus have you been?
That was the start of a working holiday and it was all part of the adventure. Compared to the journeys I had been on through SE Asia on the way over it was just another nutter.

The dodgy London Cabs have just as nutty drivers just in different ways.

We moved on from Brisbane because if felt a bit small and lacking in work. 3 days in Surfers Paradise and pickled livers prompted us on to Sydney. Fruit picking in Batlow and a brief unsuccesful spell Melbourne were the other bits I saw of Oz back then. I temped a lot back then and tried my hand in a few industries, learned a lot and somehow fell into IT.

Trouble was I met a beautiful Aussie girl in Sydney who I took back to Britain for a few years and finally we settled back in Sydney in May 2002. As is Melbourne is the only other city in Australia that I could settle in long term. I am not the provincial type.

Brisbane is growing rapidly and could make something of itself as the feral gene pool is bred out of the locals. Seriously the place is set to boom and it will be interesting to see what industry follows the Aussie migrants moving up there.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

we were in townsville up until october last year.
we came back because i was concerned crime and my three girls.
i am from perth originally but have lived a long time in england.
we are deciding whether or not to go back to aus as we cannot seem to settle in england.
it will have to be queensland though as western australia doesnt appeal to us.
dont know what to do,really confused.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:21 pm

we are deciding whether or not to go back to aus as we cannot seem to settle in england.
What sort of crime worries you? As you say it is unavoidable. What is your line of work and are you in and are you an outdoors QLD type?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi Gypsey
I did something similar to you. Came out to OZ, never really settled, or felt at home in Sydney.

Went back to UK, as I knew it better, but then after getting back I realised it wasnt what I remembered it to be. Funny how you mainly remember the good bits you miss!

Now i'm back in OZ, SE QLD, and feel much more settled this time.

Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

violent crime and drug related crime really worries me.
but i think i am a really paranoid person especially when it comes to my girls.
we spent alot of time out of doors,going to the beach and wildlife centresetc.
there is so much to do in townsville and its all free.
we made some good friends who want us to go back.
my husband and girls want to go back,its just down to me now.
i do believe though that there are more drug problems in the schools over there.but then again we live in a little market town in england and the schools are good so i suppose i am comparing them to that.
there is also alot more opportunities for the kids in townsville.
my eldest who is 14 desperately wants to return.
its just me worrying to much.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:38 pm

I could live in the UK easily with the right money. I never expected to be living in Bondi coming back this time but like it now I am here. It is strange how the cookie crumbles sometimes.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

i do believe though that there are more drug problems in the schools over there.but then again we live in a little market town in england and the schools are good so i suppose i am comparing them to that.
thats good to hear and really encouraging.
have you been to townsville?
you are so right though it is never how you remember it in england is it?
its only family that i really missed.
where abouts are you now?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

thats good to hear and really encouraging.
have you been to townsville?
you are so right though it is never how you remember it in england is it?
its only family that i really missed.
where abouts are you now?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: Im still scared to go to Brisbane

Originally posted by buglegirl
I hope somebody can cheer me up. I have this new wonderful life awaiting me in Brisbane...
At least it's sewered now. Gough fixed it.

As to it "never raining", why are Queensland houses built on stilts? Partly to keep the floodwaters out and partly to have somewhere to hang the clothes when it's raining.

But seriously, folks walking in the rain is one of the many free pleasures you will find in Oz. It can be a back to basics place. But the Tamworth Music Festival goes on. http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...878077316.html

As to the ferals, after he short stint in jail, today the Sun-Herald reports Pauline Hanson has a new found aborignal friend whose mother has a minor criminal record. There's hope yet.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Im still scared to go to Brisbane

Originally posted by Banksia
As to it "never raining", why are Queensland houses built on stilts? Partly to keep the floodwaters out and partly to have somewhere to hang the clothes when it's raining.
When it does rain, it RAINS !!

This weeks Sunday Mail, QLD, has some great photos of Brisbane from 1974. The Brisbane CBD resembled Venice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.