Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Im so down in the dumps

Im so down in the dumps

Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Im so down in the dumps

Hi Everyone

Im having a low day today which is making me rethink our decision to move to OZ. I keep thinking is life here so bad after all? and why do we want to go to OZ, are we going for something we might never find or may already have here but dont know it?

My hubby earns really good money here as a bricklayer and due to low bills we have a nice sum left over each month for holidays etc. Our mortgage is low due to buying house ages ago. And im scared if we sell everything to go to OZ, and probably use all our money getting there that our lives are not going to be any better, and we will work all hours for less money, and worse still not be able to afford a house. I just dont know what to do, we have gone through so much stress with court for RFJO and spent thousands, my hubby has no interest in researching where to live etc, and it's getting me down to know we could lose everything.

Also im worried that my children will not settle or be bullied and they have had enough upset in their lives so far, i dont want to cause them more upset by placing them in a bad situation.

I know im thinking all this as it that time of the month! and i will think differently tomorrow (maybe!) i keep telling myself you only get one life and i dont ant to look back when im older and regret not giving it a try, on the other hand i dont want to be there and think why didnt we stay in england.

i guess im just after some reassurance from you guys but as with every thread with these questions some will be for england and some for oz, so il prob be in the same boat!

anyway thts my moan out of the way. sorry if i bored or depressed you

Just had to get it out of my system
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all
Default Re: Im so down in the dumps

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
Hi Everyone

Im having a low day today which is making me rethink our decision to move to OZ. I keep thinking is life here so bad after all? and why do we want to go to OZ, are we going for something we might never find or may already have here but dont know it?

My hubby earns really good money here as a bricklayer and due to low bills we have a nice sum left over each month for holidays etc. Our mortgage is low due to buying house ages ago. And im scared if we sell everything to go to OZ, and probably use all our money getting there that our lives are not going to be any better, and we will work all hours for less money, and worse still not be able to afford a house. I just dont know what to do, we have gone through so much stress with court for RFJO and spent thousands, my hubby has no interest in researching where to live etc, and it's getting me down to know we could lose everything.

Also im worried that my children will not settle or be bullied and they have had enough upset in their lives so far, i dont want to cause them more upset by placing them in a bad situation.

I know im thinking all this as it that time of the month! and i will think differently tomorrow (maybe!) i keep telling myself you only get one life and i dont ant to look back when im older and regret not giving it a try, on the other hand i dont want to be there and think why didnt we stay in england.

i guess im just after some reassurance from you guys but as with every thread with these questions some will be for england and some for oz, so il prob be in the same boat!

hi
feel like that to sometimes but your right you do only get one life so go for it you can always come back and start again if needs be . my sister went last year and her kids have settled in really well and made friends in the first week (kids are tougher than us)
good luck
karen
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:09 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Hi
Definitely know what you mean. I often think that we are rocking our boat for no reason but someone said to me, 'you only regret the stuff you don't do in life' and I think there's something in that. I think it's good that you are having doubts - it shows how deeply you must be thinking about it. It's not a one way ticket - you can always come back
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Melbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really nice

Hi There

I think many of us are in the same boat as you to be honest.

One day I'm certain I'm doing the right thing and the next I'm not so sure at all.

I have a small business that I bought ten years ago and while there have been tough times in that time - generally I'm on a good salary and enjoy what I do.

However, I've decided to leave it all behind and head to Oz. To be honest I have sisters there so that really helps - however my OH is leaving EVERYONE behind.

I worry about lots of things - will my dd settle in a new school - will she miss her grandparents terribly - will my oh miss his family too much - will I make new friends - as good as the ones I have here - will we find work - will we be able to afford our rent (we're not selling our house here) - will it really be as good as I hope it will ????!!!!!!!!!

But do you know what - we're gonna give it our best shot - and if it doesn't work out, so be it. Yes it will have cost us money to get there etc..

I don't want to regret anything in my life.

I wish that one of us could help you make your decision, but it has to be right for YOU.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:16 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts. I think we all do
Trouble is if you don't do it now, when your too old to apply you'll be always saying what if???
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Think we all feel the same its the bloody waiting it really gets you down!!!

I've had enough of the waiting and I've only applied since Sept (but started whole thing march 07) god knows how them that have been waiting longer get through it. hats off to them

But I'll say the same as the other posts the UK ain't gunna get better and going to Oz will benefit the kids in the long run and if you don't like it you can always come back or go to another part of Oz.

Cheer up it will all be worth it. We are all here to help and be there for each other.

Tina x
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should only not do it if something happens now that convinces you to stay. If you're not convinced about where you are then go.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:37 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Listen honey, you'll be fine

The way to look at it is this: You've said you're pretty well off here, so you know there's no reason why you shouldn't be again if Oz doesn't work out for you. If your mortgage is low on the house, why not look at renting it out for a while, so you have something to come back to if you need?

Children are little sods, bless 'em. We moved here to Kent last summer & you should have heard the fuss when we told them. Eldest was convinced her life would be over & the younger one howled for two days & then refused to do anything to help. Both said they wouldn't talk to anyone at school, that they wouldn't try at school & that they would behave so badly, we would be forced to bring them back to Devon. Within a week, they had made new friends who are now never off the doorstep, younger one joined Drama & got the lead in the Christmas show, older one full of confidence & has really come out of herself. When we told them we were moving to Oz we had the same dramas & we just looked at them, waved their excellent school reports in front of them & said "Oh really?" Don't worry about the children, they will settle before you do

Completely normal to feel this way, I do too when I think of what a huge thing we're doing. I'll tell you the same thing Wendy said to me when I was going through this a little while back - give yourself a break from it all, don't read all the checklists & websites & everything, take some time out to enjoy other stuff. You'll soon sort your head out & know what's right for you

And you'll need time to recover from that RFTJ, coz I bet that was stress-on-a-stick!

Take care & best wishes

Last edited by JenniGee; Mar 6th 2008 at 3:43 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:42 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

I know how you feel. I was only talking about it this morning to my OH. He thinks I'm having 2nd thought but I think its just natural to be having doubts.

We're all taking a huge chance but we only have one life and I think we'd all regret it in the future if we didn't have a go.

Of course you'll get a nice house - even if it means having to live a bit further out than you planned. And your kids will make lots of friends.
Chin up. My OH reckons I'm pre-menstrual before/during and after my periods so you'll feel different in a few days time, more rational and all that
Irish Gal
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Know exactly how you feel as well. I reckon that if we all got a chance to move across within 6 months of us deciding, then things would be a lot easier.

I think the fact that in some cases it takes years to make the move doesn't help, hence lots of doubts.

I am starting to think my friends reckon I'm spoofing when we talk about going because it has taken so long and because we both now keep changing our minds. Our main reasons for doubting are we are fairly well enough off here and also have a child with special needs.

I don't know if people really are ever totally 100% about moving, not to mention homesickness and being totally out of your comfort zone.

Only you can make the decision,

Good Luck
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:56 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto ditto ditto hooo humm what are we like?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Hi Everyone

It sounds to me that you are not ready to make the huge decision of leaving England behind and head off for a new life. If that is the case then definately dont make the move and stay put. Your attitude may change in a couple of years so rethink it then. Australia will still be here.

I made the decision 12 years ago to move from England to Australia. I left everything behind and came for a better life. For me, it has worked out but I was 100% committed when I left England and I have never regretted my decision. I did make the decision for myself as I came on my own and did not have to take into consideration what children / partners thought of coming as I was a single man. From some of the posts on this website, it is clear that some folks have deeply regretted the move. It is a huge financial cost to lift and shift so do think it through very carefully.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Barney

PS Australia is a great place. (in my opinion)
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

[QUOTE=badassbrickie;6026409]Hi Everyone

Hi,

I think we all feel a bit like this and I see it as a process that we need to go through in order to make the right decision about such a HUGE move.

The highs and lows, feelings of guilt, soul searching and emotional roller coasters are simply stepping stones along the decision making path.
I think that 'acceptance' finally brings peace about the decision being the right one !
Only when you have acceptance are you ready to go !!

Wow, How deep was that !!!!
LOL !!

Alison
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Why do you want to go to Oz?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

Hi there

Your be fine I came over with my family in 1971 & sister who was 16 I was 20I enjoyed the experence. & loved the sun & weather & beaches.

The children wont get bulled here. Dont know where you come from ? I was born in London. Got more bulled there. I have a daughter thats grown up here & no bulling. Now has a great job working for the goverment. Has stacks of friends.

You will be fine. good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.