Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm scared-It sounds like i need a load of money to get to OZ??

I'm scared-It sounds like i need a load of money to get to OZ??

Old Mar 8th 2004, 4:43 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think your husband will have a job finding work as an electrician or a gas fitter. Well that is he won't when he's qualified. He will have to do the necesary tests etc to get his licence to work in Oz. Check out threads by baldbutts to see how he got on (he's an electrician.)
Old Mar 8th 2004, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debio
Thanks for the replies guys-I'm off down the docks now to earn a few bob!!!!!!
I know i don't need a bond but it's still a lot of lolly-my old man doesn't like taking a chance so it's gonna be a nightmare persuading him to do it.
I'm a teacher for my sins and he is an electrician and gasfitter.What are the chances of getting jobs for us sooner rather than later? We want to go to Perth (south of)
All advice and help needed.
Debi
Its cost the two of us (without the cost of the actual migration process) to live here for 7 months roughly about £15,000 ($36500) and we lived reasonably cheaply. Thats inclusive of transport, accomodation, food etc. BUt we have not bought any clothes or luxurys. With hindsite we could have saved £2 - 3 thousand.

If we decided to add up cost of migration process, cost of lost equity on house, (we sold at £160,000 and now selling for £200,000) cost of selling cars, loss of earnings etc. etc. We would probably hang ourselves.

Migration is an expensive game, even more so if it does not work out. The hidden costs are the ones that add up.

Would we do it again? no way pedro.

Last edited by karawara88; Mar 8th 2004 at 5:57 am.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Hup,
I'll check out those posts you recommended-cheers
I knew it was going to be a great deal of lolly-but I honestly think i didn't take a lot into consideration!!!!!!!
That's life-think my man is probably more level-headed than me!What an admission-i'm sure not going to show him this or he'll sart thinking he's the one in charge-i've managed to fool him that it's me for the last 11yrs
Debi
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Hup,
I'll check out those posts you recommended-cheers
I knew it was going to be a great deal of lolly-but I honestly think i didn't take a lot into consideration!!!!!!!
That's life-think my man is probably more level-headed than me!What an admission-i'm sure not going to show him this or he'll sart thinking he's the one in charge-i've managed to fool him that it's me for the last 11yrs
Debi
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:19 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hiya debio
this is the link for the family benefit that you can claim when you get there;

www.familyassist.gov.au/

sue
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Tanks for that 'tired with twins' i'llhave a butchers in a mo!How's the weather in yorkshire this fine morning? It's a bright and sunny day here in s wales.Mybrother lives in Hull-that reminds me gotta give him a call.
Debi
Old Mar 8th 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Luke1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debio
Thanks Luke-got to say the docks were a bit chilly tonight and well i didn't realise i'd have to pay them LOL
When and where are you going to? Have you got jobs to go to?Tell me if i'm being too nosey!
Cheers,
Debi
Hi Debi,
We are leaving on the 5th May for Perth, no jobs lined up, Luke is my son, my wife is nursing and hopes to pick up a Job after touring area for a short while. Where are you from & how far down this long road have you got?
Brian
Old Mar 8th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Brian,
We are only just starting out -as you may have seen from my previous posts Alun (my Other Half) is rather anxious about the 'not going with a job thing'
We live in Neath.Have only just moved(10Mnths).House is fab and it's not like we're not happy-but just feel there's more for us and the kids,who are 14 and 6.They love the outdoors and so do we.
Good luck with it all and hope the big move goes really well.I will keep a look out for you on the forum and find out what you are all up to.How old is Luke? My son is 14 as i said and i am a bit worried about schooling because he is a severe brain box and will suffer if not challenged in his school life.
Where in Perth are you going?Have you friends or relatives there to get you up and started?
God i am a nosey old cow!!!!
Debi