Reload this Page >

Im scared. Moving to Brissy in Feb

Im scared. Moving to Brissy in Feb

Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Im scared. Moving to Brissy in Feb

Hello

This is my first posting. After a lot of planning I am finally moving to Brisbane in February. Although I am looking forward to it I am a little scared and feel a bit guilty about leaving my family. My partner, who comes from Brisbane has a house there and work will not be a problem but I still feel a tad nervous. Any messages of support would be greatly appreciated

Paula:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:14 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Over to you Polly and Mrs DB!!!

If it support you are after, Paula, you couldn't have picked a better place!!!

I think the powers that be ought to make sure every place downunder has a Polly and Mrs DB on hand!

Good luck Paula - you will be fine - when do you fly?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:21 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Loads of good people on this site living (or soon to be living) in Brisbane. Keep posting and visiting the forum and you'll be meeting up for a barbie and a few cold ones in no time. See you there later next year Paula!

Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hello
Thanks a lot. I fly on 21st Feb but having a nice couple of days in singapore on the way.
I think it has all happened a bit quickly although it has sort of been in the planning for a year. Once the visa was submitted we had it in 9 days and the tickets booked 2 days later.
Paula
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:27 pm
Kiwified member

Blimey, that is quick!

No wonder you are feeling a bit shell shocked
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Buglegirl,

I know just how your feeling because we fly to Brisbane on the same day as you! Also feel terrified but excited too. Very up and down at the moment. We're not stopping over, just want to get there asap!

Good luck

Michaela

Last edited by ANA123; Dec 18th 2003 at 8:35 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by buglegirl
Hello
Thanks a lot. I fly on 21st Feb but having a nice couple of days in singapore on the way.
I think it has all happened a bit quickly although it has sort of been in the planning for a year. Once the visa was submitted we had it in 9 days and the tickets booked 2 days later.
Paula
Hi Paula
just wanted to wish you all the very best for your future down under,
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up

Hello everybody
Im really impressed with your site and thankyou for all the encouraging messages. I think I will definatly become a regular from now on
Ta everybody
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OOh Pollster, you do flatter!

Seriously Paula, I'd be very glad to offer some support. Theres plenty of people on the forum heading for Brisbane and the surrounding area early next year. We had an expat meet up last weekend, and are planning to repeat it around March time, so that'll give you a chance to meet people (and not all Poms, some are even Aussies - my Bloke, and Mrs Dagboy, for starters!).

Sounds like your situation is similar to mine - I came out from the UK at the beginning of November to marry my Aussie Bloke, who also has a house and job and stuff in Brisbane. I felt the same as I guess you feel now - bit scared and apprehensive. Is your man over here now or is he in the UK? Its a big help having someone who knows their way around and can answer all the silly questions about where to do things, and how stuff works.
Feeling nervous is natural; as is the feeling about leaving your family - but with phones bring cheap now, and email, and theres always text/SMS messages as well. Maybe you could look into a webcam link?
Whereabouts in Brisbane are you headed? We're on the north side at present. And what visa are you coming on?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:39 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by buglegirl
Hello everybody
Im really impressed with your site and thankyou for all the encouraging messages. I think I will definatly become a regular from now on
Ta everybody
Careful, it can be addictive. At first you just dip in but then it becomes a mad dash to collect five stars and before you know where you are six months have passed!

Ah, I remember when I became a senior member.......................
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:41 pm
Kiwified member

It's all true Pollyana!! I don't spose you and Mrs DB and the rest of the welcoming committe could go over to New Plymouth ready for our arrival, could you?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya
Im moving, for the first few months, to Ferny Grove and then to my other half's house in Keperra later. He is actually in the UK, as he has been for a year and a half. We met 24 hours after he entered the country!!We are coming out on a spouse visa, although we are not married but had lived together for over a year when we applied. Isnt it good how Australia regards un-married couples as highly as marrried as long as you can prove you have lived together a year!!??
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, you'll be fine once you get here! Starting to feel like home to me - I've only been here six weeks! Even managed to get a job.
The Aussie spouse visas do seem to give people a chance without having to be married; I'm on a Prospective Spouse visa, and we get married in January - at least we have a chance to get used to each other and living together first!

Pollster, maybe we'll have to get an old bus or van like Donna's and travel round welcoming the newbies! They'll either feel at home straight away, or get on the next plane back!:scared: