Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm scared of being trapped in Australia

I'm scared of being trapped in Australia

Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Thomaz
Thank you for that.

I’m still thinking about it I’m afraid – it’s hard not to – but I think I have come up with a plan….

Firstly I was in Brisbane only last week. Drove there and back in six days and had a ball – first time I have really enjoyed myself since we got here. And yes, I loved Brisbane and it is everything that Wollongong is not. And yes I want to move there.

In many ways this forum, or more accurately this thread, has helped me crystallise my thoughts…

The only thing really keeping us in Wollongong is my job – which of course I hate.

And the only thing stopping us from moving to another part of Australia is the cost of it all. If I don’t manage to find work I will at some point have to return to the UK.

So, it’s obvious –

1. Once the lease expires on my rental property (mid-April) I plan to resign from my job.

2. Put all our worldly processions into storage in Sydney.

3. Travel to Brisbane and stay in some furnished accommodation for 1,2,3 months (hard to say what time I will give to….

4. Find a job.

I will of course try to find a job before April – wouldn’t that be great to have one to go to – but my chances of getting an interview will be considerably greater once I am actually in Brisbane. Nevertheless I’ve already sent off my CV to a couple of employers.

And, we have already had a quote from the removals people for the cost of storage and the cost of shipping to Brisbane and (if it doesn’t work out) England.

BTW, my wife is fully in agreement with all this.

Anyway folks, that’s the plan – If we go back after trying Brisbane for 3 months then it will have cost us about an extra $10K but that is a drop in the ocean compared to how much it cost us to come here.

And there is of course still the danger of being unable to return to England because I can't afford to get back on the property ladder but if I’m trapped in a place that I am happy in…well, so be it…

What do you think??
I think its a good plan, but of course I am biased towards Brisbane !

In my opinion ts better to spend $10k on a trial in Brisbane, than to get back to UK and have regrets. It can always be thought of as a Holiday in any case.

Make sure you join the Brisbane crowd up here, there seem to many of them up here that would make you feel welcome.
What areas did you visit when you were here ?

I was talking to my local real estate agent yesterday, and he gave me brochures on two places that do furnished accomodation. I'm going to check the prices on Monday, if its any good i'll let you know.

Would it be cheaper to store in Brisbane ? or Sydney ?

Keep us posted.

Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:06 am
Just Joined

sunshine&sand is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just scared of being stuck in England:scared:
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Lillipilli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Thomaz, and Happy Birthday.

I really feel for you, and I have experienced the pangs of homesickness and confusion which is crippling you now.

However my experience was twenty five years ago, and given the opportunity, I'd have returned to UK within six months of arriving in Sydney. Fortunately for me, I wasn't allowed to leave Aus for two years........the Aus Government knew exactlywhat they were doing, when they made this rule, as it takes the majority of migrants at least that long to settle, and re-adapt to the enormous change in our lives, and build another home, here in Aus.

I can only wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but it would be an enormous waste of time, energy and money, to go back to UK, without giving Australia a fair go. You may be, in the future, like I am now, so very happy to be an Aussie, and so very proud to be a pom.

Cheers
Lillipilli
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:31 am
Go Banana's !!

Thank you for that.

I’m still thinking about it I’m afraid – it’s hard not to – but I think I have come up with a plan….

Firstly I was in Brisbane only last week. Drove there and back in six days and had a ball – first time I have really enjoyed myself since we got here. And yes, I loved Brisbane and it is everything that Wollongong is not. And yes I want to move there.

In many ways this forum, or more accurately this thread, has helped me crystallise my thoughts…

The only thing really keeping us in Wollongong is my job – which of course I hate.

And the only thing stopping us from moving to another part of Australia is the cost of it all. If I don’t manage to find work I will at some point have to return to the UK.

So, it’s obvious –

1. Once the lease expires on my rental property (mid-April) I plan to resign from my job.

3. Travel to Brisbane and stay in some furnished accommodation for 1,2,3 months (hard to say what time I will give to….

4. Find a job.

I will of course try to find a job before April – wouldn’t that be great to have one to go to – but my chances of getting an interview will be considerably greater once I am actually in Brisbane. Nevertheless I’ve already sent off my CV to a couple of employers.

And, we have already had a quote from the removals people for the cost of storage and the cost of shipping to Brisbane and (if it doesn’t work out) England.

Anyway folks, that’s the plan – If we go back after trying Brisbane for 3 months then it will have cost us about an extra $10K but that is a drop in the ocean compared to how much it cost us to come here.

And there is of course still the danger of being unable to return to England because I can't afford to get back on the property ladder but if I’m trapped in a place that I am happy in…well, so be it…

What do you think??
Firstly Happy Birthday

I haven't commented so far as I would only be giving you an opinion which had no basis on any experience.

Your plan sounds excellent and I truely, truely hope it works out for you. I think you have been very brave to stick it out this long ! I don't think there is anything worse than hating your job as it effects everything. That I have experience with !! and it made me very ill.

The very best of luck from

Jill, Warren and little banana

Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:51 am
Just Joined

mercedes1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy Birthday Thomaz

You've obviously got lots of people feeling for you !

Merc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps its p***ing down with rain here. i!!!
Old Jan 31st 2004, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

2. If you are serious about migrating to a new country I believe (or at least believed) you should give it your best shot and that means leaving no doors open for an easy return (my I'm regretting that now). Having said that I did look into the renting option and decided that keeping a house in the UK was a BAD idea. Firstly I would have been liable for tax on any income received to both the Inland Revenue and on my tax return here (world-wide earnings). Then, if and when I decided that yes, Australia is to my permanent home I would have been liable for Capital Gains Tax on the proceeds of my house sale - more money going to the Australian Government and less for me to purchase something here. Okay yes, it would have been a good safety net but I still think it would have meant coming to Australia with the wrong attitude.
Just interested in the capital gains situation.

We have a property in the UK and were told by our accountant that if we wre 'non resident' in the UK for tax purposes, then were would not be liable for capital gains tax if we sold the house whilst we were still out of the country. Your post would seem to contradict this. Do you have any more information?

Thanks,
Helen
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that.

So, it’s obvious –

4. Find a job.

What do you think??
Happy Birthday Thomaz. Im emigrating to Brissy in 3 weeks with my other half who was born there. See you there.....best of luck
BG
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:45 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helenmaine
Just interested in the capital gains situation.

We have a property in the UK and were told by our accountant that if we wre 'non resident' in the UK for tax purposes, then were would not be liable for capital gains tax if we sold the house whilst we were still out of the country. Your post would seem to contradict this. Do you have any more information?

Thanks,
Helen
Thomaz was correct, he said CGT would be potentially payable in Aus, not UK. As long as you are non-resident from the UK for 5 complete tax years and you sell after leaving, no CGT liability in UK.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:50 pm
Merlot

Default You sound more determined

Just been reading the posts and you sound like you are feeling a lot more positive and getting some exciting plans together with a little help from some very kind posters in Brissie.

Keep us updated and I wish you and your family all the best in your search up in Queensland. I have a feeling you will be so much happier!

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Thomaz was correct, he said CGT would be potentially payable in Aus, not UK. As long as you are non-resident from the UK for 5 complete tax years and you sell after leaving, no CGT liability in UK.
Thanks for the info - v. useful. Do you know whether you would still be liable for CGT if you lived in the property again after being abroad for 5+ years?

Thanks ( and hope I haven't hijacked this thread)
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Birthday Thomaz - I think that you've come up with an excellent plan. Most of us potential migrants could find ourselves in a similar situation, but I'm sure you'll work it through. When you've finally settled in your new place I'm sure you'll appreciate it even more!
Good luck,
Larissa
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:38 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a lot more positive Thomaz, hope it all works out well for you all. Have a ball in Brissy and make sure that you use any help offered to you from the kindly folk on here
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Larissa
Happy Birthday Thomaz - I think that you've come up with an excellent plan. Most of us potential migrants could find ourselves in a similar situation, but I'm sure you'll work it through. When you've finally settled in your new place I'm sure you'll appreciate it even more!
Good luck,
Larissa
I think it is vital that anyone in that position makes use of friends and contacts through this forum etc, to help make the first few years easier to cope with.

Most people who have been here for some years will know what others are going through, and be in a position to offer moral support, advice on other options etc, and even to create proper friendships, as has been evidenced on this forum many times.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Dick B is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey, some people amaze me!

How much of my posts have you actually read?

“All your post goes on about is money� ?? I don’t think so…I have mentioned job, lack of employment opportunities in the area, difficulties of settling in a parochial city and missing family and friends.

Yeah sure money is a big thing. And if you’re honest you can’t tell me it isn’t. We had a good life in England but came here in the hope of a “better� one. Sure we never expected everything to be rosy but I don’t think it too much to want a modest family home in a reasonable area (good school) – this is something we had in England but cannot afford here (because of rising house prices and falling exchange rate). Yes, I know you should never compare – what’s the advice? “don’t think about what you lost, concentrate on the gains�. That’s all well and good and we love the outdoor life here but for me it’s not enough – I want a life.

You know the whole purpose of my original post was to do with how I can see me being trapped here for financial reasons – don’t need to go into all that again I hope. Nevertheless I recognise five months is probably too soon to give up and if I thought that I would still have an escape route in a couple of year’s time then I will happily stay here a little longer and give it more of a go (there are worse places to be “trapped�).

Anyway, I’m trying not to get too mad – although statements such as yours do make my blood boil – today is my birthday (I’ll really now have to start lying on my CV – a bit of botox wouldn’t do any harm either) so we’re off to the beach to enjoy what Wollongong has to offer, at least that is free – oops there I go, money again.
Thomas

This is my first post. I am a recent migrant to Oz but have been here three times previously for six month periods. I am finding it hard now actually living here for various reasons too (not the post to go into them here).

Money etc aside - take the advice of the post immediately below this that prompted me to write - visit Melbourne. Here I think you will find the balance of Australia and all it has to offer and with a European feel - which I think may also be what some of your soul searching is about. Oh and house prices are way more resonable (than Sydney at least) - and you'll get cold winter mornings too!

Dick
Old Feb 1st 2004, 12:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helenmaine
Thanks for the info - v. useful. Do you know whether you would still be liable for CGT if you lived in the property again after being abroad for 5+ years?

Thanks ( and hope I haven't hijacked this thread)
The answer is - probably yes but you may be able to disregard the capital gain you made before (presumably) renting out the property and up to 3 years of the gain made whilst renting it out. Check out the Inland Revenue guides available online http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cgt/index.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.