Reload this Page >

I'm scared of being trapped in Australia

I'm scared of being trapped in Australia

Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:35 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm scared of being trapped in Australia

Originally posted by keyurlavingia
As far as getting US$, I would say its a no-no. The USD is falling like crazy right now and its not expected to recover for atleast another year. When I applied for migration to Oz in Aug '03, it was almost AU$1.6 for one USD. Its hard to get 1.29 now. Even the feds here are telling businesses not to expect the USD to come back for a year or so.

Keyur.

Forgot to mention this. The Oz economy is doing really good right now and is almost the only one amongst the developed countries to be able to raise interest rates even now. Every other country has falling interest rates due to sluggish economies. Its only 1% here in the US and you cannot get even that in a savings account right now. The Oz $ on the other hand is strengthening a lot and is not expected to loosen up soon anyway. So if you brought your money into Oz right now, it may not be too bad even after a year or so. That is my perception though and I am a IT pro not any accountant.

Keyur.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:52 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Thomaz
Yeah Wollongong - lovely place…NOT.

Actually I only work in Gong – at the ugly Steel Plant, we are renting a bit further south in Shellharbour which is nicer in that there are a lot of new developments taking place. Nevertheless apart from great beaches there is not a lot else here – Sydney may look close on the map but with traffic it is a two-hour drive – too far to go for a night out for instance. Also, most of the people we have met so far – certainly the one’s I work with – originate from Wollongong. Nothing wrong with that but it does make it harder to settle – I feel like a bit of an outsider most of the time and so far we have made no friends.
Help!!
Hi Thomaz

I asked that question as I know for a fact that you would feel the "cultural" differences between those from the UK and Australia, cities are sometimes easier to make friends.

My In-Laws emigrated here in 1987 and now have retired down to Sussex Inlet, a little further south of you guys. If we were not in the process of moving back to the UK in March, I would have arranged to meet you all just to say hello and have a beer.

I truly hope things work out for you and your family.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaving for the airport in 4 hours to validate my visa and it's posts like this that really make you think.....good posts like this get lost in amongst the sea of trivial nonsense.

If you're only renting, would it be possible to move closer to Sydney and give yourself a longer commute to work but a better area?. I don't know the score with schools etc. but the majority of people seem to think kids settle better than their parents. Is it possible for your wife to do a college course?, if nothing else it would occupy her day and let her meet others. I've already decided I'm not going to work in the mines of WA once we get there for that very reason. Anyone stuck in the (rented) house in a strange country while the other partner works is bound to feel isolated.
Is it possible for the grandparents to visit?, showing people your new life may spark a new love for your new life. My parents have already stated they have no intention of ever going to Oz, but I'm sure if I get them over to show them the country they would better understand why we've decided to give it a go.
I really don't envy your position, but I think I'd try to stuck the 2 years for citizenship out. You've probably lost the lions share of your money anyway. The kids will only appreciaite the outdoor life Oz has to offer once they're teenagers too.
5 months seems very shot to pack it in,

Hope it all works out, away to stare at passport some more....
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:10 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by GengaKev
I'm leaving for the airport in 4 hours to validate my visa and it's posts like this that really make you think.....good posts like this get lost in amongst the sea of trivial nonsense.

Hope it all works out, away to stare at passport some more....
Good luck on your trip, do let the Forum know how you found things here, as you said these type of threads are very useful.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:21 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I really felt for you reading your post.
About a week ago both my kids flipped out with homesickness, it was sudden, but very disconcerting as we had no indication of the way they were feeling. They wern't missing the place, but the friend and rellies and, as you say, nothing compensates for actually seeing your family in the flesh.
We moved into our own home just before chrismas which still felt strange, but now the furniture is here its a million times better. The kids have settled down thousand fold and life is good.
All of the advice offered is basically what i would give anyway. Have you considered a visit home? This could decide which side your rose tints are facing and help you make the right decision.
All the best................
Heather
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

My tuppence worth Thomaz.

Youve gone 1/2 way round the world and spent tousands getting to Oz - why not persevere - move somewhere where there are more jobs and whole bunch of others who have emmmigrated like you did. Maybe Adelaide? Podgypossum bless her heart is forming a support group (I think )in Adleaide where help and encouragement is at hand. The first 2 years are tough I hear so maybe you should tough it out for a while yet.

I would send my wife home for 3 weeks to visit her Dad when you next get holidays and see how she feels when she gets back to the UK and then back to Oz again. During that time you can look around for a new place to live etc.

I think the life you want is there in Oz, you just need to find the right spot - not easy - Im grappling with the problem of where to go in Oz - probably wont get it right first time either.

All the best - Your posts have been really worthwhile and Im sure alot of people can empathise.

Graham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:42 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

At least you`re in the position of having a job... that gives you some flexibility. Try and see where you could get another job.

You could also try and go to some social things in your area.... you don`t need to have friends from work. Get out and meet people.... tell them your concerns and I`m sure they would try to help you settle in.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:44 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thomaz

Sorry to hear that you've been having such a hard time, but don't be too tough on yourself. You say you came to Australia in search of a better life for your family, and if you haven't found one, it doesn't mean you've screwed up. All any of us can do is our best in any situation. Sometimes we are faced with impossible decisions, and as you say without the benefit of hindsight, we can only do what seems right at the time. I have been here for 4 months and hardly a day goes by when I don't look at my kids and wonder if I've given them a better life, or just ruined the one they had.

I can see what you mean about changing jobs, but there are few things that can make you more miserable and affect more aspects of your life, than work. Try and go all out to do a different job. It could make a huge difference to your frame of mind. It's very hard to make a rational decision when you're spending hours every day doing a job you hate.

GuitarDoctor is right about needing to be bit selfish to emigrate, or at least it will seem like that to everyone you've left behind, but don't let guilt be the reason you go back. I can't really add anything to what has already been said about the money side, but if you invest the money at least you'll get some return on it while you're deciding.

Either way, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Stick it out for a bit longer and you never know, things may start to fall in to place. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck.

Andy

After five months in Australia it looks like I screwed up. Brought my family (wife and two kids aged 7 and 5) here in search of a better life but so far we’ve never been so miserable.

Thing is it is probably too early to be thinking about going home – although at the moment that seems like the easiest thing to do – I know I should give Australia at least a year or two.

But, and here’s my problem, what do I do about my money? Back in September just prior to coming here I made the decision NOT to transfer the bulk of my money across. Reason being I had been following the exchange rate for the last few years and at the time the $2.45 rate I got for the little I transferred was the lowest rate I had ever seen (I know it was a lot lower around 6-7 years ago but that was a different time – house prices here were very low for one thing). I therefore decided to wait a bit in the hope that the rate improved. Ha, it’s dropped steadily since then and is now around $2.35 for the pound.

With hindsight (wouldn’t it be lovely to have that!) I should have transferred in September and at least my money would have been earning a decent interest in the bank here. As it is I have it in the Commonwealth Bank holding account in London earning a paltry 2%. Now I’m not rich by any means – the money is the proceeds from the sale of my house in England which was pretty much my pension. It’s not a nice feeling to see it being eroded.

So what are my choices assuming I don’t go back to the UK for a bit… bite the bullet and bring it across at the current rate and either stick it in the bank or buy a property here? Having owned my own home in England for the last 16 years I’m not comfortable renting - for one thing I think there is even less chance of settling here if we don't have our own home - but will a property here be a good short-term investment given the slowing down in the market?...plus the costs of buying and selling here are greater than in the UK. The one thing I don’t want is be trapped in Australia.. if in two years time we do end up wishing to return home, we don’t want to be priced out of the UK market either because house prices have risen more than here or because the dollar has weakened and we get a lot less for our money when we transfer it back to sterling.

I know, nobody out there has a crystal ball but any thoughts would be very welcome.

Also, a question some of you may be able to answer – will I be liable for any tax on the money if I leave it much longer before I transfer it to my bank in Oz. I know there is no tax on the sale of one's UK house if you transfer it when you first get here but I’ve heard 6 months mentioned, after that it’s then subject to CGT.???
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:50 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Go Home. If you go within the next few months things wont have changed at all. You can slot nicely back in and have no more worries about living here.

The longer you leave it the more things do change and then you may feel even more unsettled when you do return?

Five months isn't long but only you know how you feel, I knew after four months (but have had to wait because of animals) and I know people that knew the minute they landed!! Some people return after a few weeks some after a few months, many after a few years. Go now while you still have the money in the bank.!!

Good luck with your decisions.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I think one of your main problems is a total lack of help and support where you are...Graham mentioned what we are doing here in Adelaide...we have just been very lucky that a lot of other Brits have come here at roughly the same time and we have found each other so early on. We like to help each other and have become very friendly in a short space of time.
You said there isnt many other Brits where you are, and i think this is probably making things difficult on top of everything else as theres no one around you who can relate to how you are feeling right now.
I dont have any answers for you, but maybe you woul dbe better looking to go elsewhere in Oz. What type of work do you do at the steel plant? Is there a dmeand for it anywhere else in Oz apart from Woollongong? I always think it is a bit risky to up sticks and go somewhere "out of town" as it is bound to have less going ofr it than the cities.

I wish you good luck in whatever you decide. I just wish i could be of more help.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by keyurlavingia
As far as getting US$, I would say its a no-no. The USD is falling like crazy right now and its not expected to recover for atleast another year. When I applied for migration to Oz in Aug '03, it was almost AU$1.6 for one USD. Its hard to get 1.29 now. Even the feds here are telling businesses not to expect the USD to come back for a year or so.

Keyur.
I certainly wouldn't rush to invest in US$ with the US' massive current account deficit, commitments to Iraq spending, the uncertainty of an upcoming election... Certainly, any sort of currency speculation is very risky!

On the "should I return to the UK or stick it out?" question - only you can answer that. However, unless it is starting to work out the way you envisaged, the stress is likely to increase (which probably won't help your personal relationship).

The general guide is that it takes about 2 years before people have a good feel whether a place is right for them. We all get homesick (I certainly did!) It took me 2 years until I felt OK about it.

I've been here 12+years and I've now decided to return to the UK. It was no great insight, just that I need more than sun and beaches. Oz is OK, but not a place I want to die in.

Somehow I don't think you'll be waiting that long! If you don't feel it is the place for you, why bother staying? I can't help but feel from your emails that if you stay you'll become depressed.

Difficult though it is, please remain positive. In no way regard a return to the UK as a failure - you had the guts to try it in the first place.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point

How quickly things change....

http://afr.com/articles/2004/01/30/1075340811754.html

Dollar loses more ground
Jan 30 07:33
AAP

The Australian dollar has lost more ground against the United States dollar, which has continued to surge on ramped up market expectations for a US interest rate rise.

At 7am (AEDT), the local currency was trading at US76.11¢ compared with Thursday's close of US77.15¢.

Overnight it reached a high of US77.14¢ and a low of US75.74¢.

The US dollar continued its surge overnight on reaction to the US Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) statement the previous day, leading to further Australian dollar weakness.

The altered wording in the FOMC statement led market players to believe the Fed, which left Fed funds rate at one per cent, was nearer to a rate hike than was previously expected.

"It's follow through selling in the Aussie [following] the FOMC statement and that dropping of the clause to maintain accommodative policy for a considerable period," Westpac Bank currency strategist Richard Franulovich said.

"And today's price action is a continuation of that trend ... we saw a tremendous amount of liquidation of long Aussie positions, not just against the US.

"[We saw] a trimming back of positions of being long Aussie against some other currencies like the kiwi, the yen, even the euro featured."
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:16 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Oz is OK, but not a place I want to die in.
Funnily enough, I feel the opposite, and not just cos I`m from Aus.

Here in the UK I`ve seen and heard (first hand) time and time again how badly the OAP`s get treated.... it`s really terrible. They get taxed and taxed and get less and less pension... and get treated really badly in alot of nursing homes (my wife used to work in one near S`ton... she quit because the residents and call-outs and herself were being treated so badly.

I definitely don`t want to be an old person in the UK.

Do they tax you big time in Oz when you die too, like they do here? Sign over your house in the UK years before you die or the govt will take a huge chunk of it.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Jeez mate, I really feel for you.

Can't offer you any money advice & really think that only you can decide what is best for you & your family because we all come here for so many different reasons and can have a hundred different perspectives on the same thing.

If you hate your job that is going to impact greatly on your experience but I absolutely agree with you that moving elsewhere is easier said than done , the whole process over again of finding somewhere that suits, finding somewhere to live, settling in, trying to meet people etc etc.

I have been here 3 months & don't think Oz is for me. I think it has loads to offer in so many ways but it's not enough for me. I miss UK & my friends & family & I don't want to get used to missing them.

Me & Mr Bella are gonna stay another year then if I still feel as I do now we're heading home. We have spent hours discussing buying a house but have now decided not to & I feel so relieved.

I really hope you can make a decision you are happy with.

Good luck.

Bella
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah Wollongong - lovely place…NOT.

Actually I only work in Gong – at the ugly Steel Plant, we are renting a bit further south in Shellharbour which is nicer in that there are a lot of new developments taking place. Nevertheless apart from great beaches there is not a lot else here – Sydney may look close on the map but with traffic it is a two-hour drive – too far to go for a night out for instance. Also, most of the people we have met so far – certainly the one’s I work with – originate from Wollongong. Nothing wrong with that but it does make it harder to settle – I feel like a bit of an outsider most of the time and so far we have made no friends.

Yes, came here because I was offered a job. Took a while for everything to go through – in fact almost a year in which time the pound dropped around 17% against the AUS$ and the property prices in the Wollongong area rose by 40%!! Sorry to keep mentioning the money but one of our reasons for coming to Australia was to have a biggish house with pool etc. Sadly now, with a max of $300K should we decide to transfer our money, the best we can get is a 3-bedroomed shack in one of the poorer suburbs. The kind they call a starter or investment home here. Not much for all my years striving and certainly a lot less than I had in England. Obviously, before anyone says it, I could take out a mortgage like everyone else does but I took a big drop in salary to come here (and taxes are higher) and I really don’t feel I can afford the payments. Not if I want to be able afford to return home, sorry I mean England, for holiday’s every couple of years or so. Is that too much to expect? Oh, and my wife so far can’t get a job – there is very little work in the area.

Yep the more I think about it the more I realise I only have two options – either go back to England sooner rather than later or take the gamble and move somewhere better e.g. with affordable housing (a few Brits in the area would also be nice). That’s still one option too many though.

And I still don’t know what to do with my money but thanks to the people who gave me advice. I thought about US$ but another gamble for sure. If I really thought we will stay in the country for a number of years then yes I would transfer it now and get my foot on the property ladder (hopefully somewhere nicer such as Brisbane)… but even as I say that I get that TRAPPED feeling again. Help!!
I feel for you too mate so I'm gonna try and give some "inside" advice.

I mostly grew up in a northern suburb of Wollongong (moved there when I was 9). I always think of the southern suburbs of Wollongong like Dapto, Kanahooka, Berkley and Shellharbour as being very similar to the western suburbs of Sydney but with beaches nearby. Yeah its got all the fancy new homes, but you wouldn't want to live there.

OK, I'm a little biased but I think some of the northern suburbs of Wollongong are much more livable. Perhaps you could consider keeping your job, adding a little time to the journey to work, and make small a move this way. Some of the suburbs like Balgownie, Corrimal and Tarrawanna (esp. near the escarpment) and further north are worth a look. For the following reasons:

- They are far enough away from the steel works to get it out of your mind when you are not there.
- Travelling to Sydney is easier. A lot of people commute by train to work in Sydney - this is a lot harder south of Wollongong.
- The beaches are good, uncrowded and very close. The mountain is right behind giving a nice backdrop. There are some good bushwalking trails in the rainforest which are great because you are often sheltered from the sun.
- There are some reasonable schools in the area and Wollongong University and TAFE are close and very good.
- The people aren't as "westy" as in the south (except for Bellambi) - this is a big plus. You might even find a few expats here.
- As you move further north the towns get more village like as they are squeezed between the mountains and the sea (prices go up as well unfortunately).
- There is a fast freeway link all the way to port kembla
- I really think the future prospects for kids are better here because of it's better access to Sydney
- Wollongong can be OK for a night out and is not far.

Also, I've never understood this... Do you really need a pool when the beach is so close?

I know it's more than 300K, but you can get some good homes for 400K-500K, some even with pools. eg. http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Go for a drive along the various sections of Foothills Road through balgownie, Tarrawanna and Corrimal, you may like it.. you may not...

Anyway just an idea. Thought maybe a small move might make a big difference...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.