Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm going to Oz for a month!!

I'm going to Oz for a month!!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:02 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default I'm going to Oz for a month!!

Just booked our flights for the end of next month!! ....we're going to be travelling around a bit so that my Australian partner can catch up with family and friends, but we should get just over a week on the sunshine coast, and a couple of days in Brissy! We plan to have a scout around for possible jobs for when we take that great leap off the uk map!!

My question is, where the hell do I start?? I have a couple of engineerings companies I can contact, but I could do with a list of agencies! Is there anywhere I can get a list of agencies in the areas we fancy settling in??

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by GrantP; Mar 22nd 2005 at 5:04 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:27 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: I'm going to Oz for a month!!

Originally Posted by GrantP
Just booked our flights for the end of next month!! ....we're going to be travelling around a bit so that my Australian partner can catch up with family and friends, but we should get just over a week on the sunshine coast, and a couple of days in Brissy! We plan to have a scout around for possible jobs for when we take that great leap off the uk map!!

My question is, where the hell do I start?? I have a couple of engineerings companies I can contact, but I could do with a list of agencies! Is there anywhere I can get a list of agencies in the areas we fancy settling in??

Thanks in advance!!
Hiya GrantP,
I work for a multinational with and I'm still having problems transfering to Oz
Oz Hr and Uk HR don't talk

According to Kelly they would even employ the bloke who made the widget in beer cans (they were that short of people) yet when I got put through to the HR in Oz I was told I couldn't be interviewed because I work for the subsiduary in the Uk and the latest is that I'm not suitable even though they don't know my details or have my CV

If you take a look at Monster is a good starting place, after that try the agencies it throws up.
Alot of the positions require you to have a visa as a requirement before applying. (They don't wonna sponsor you for the visa.)

Sorry for going on but HR Pee me off

Let us know how you get on with a month in Oz
Bye
Mark
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:24 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya GrantP,
I work for a multinational with and I'm still having problems transfering to Oz
Oz Hr and Uk HR don't talk

According to Kelly they would even employ the bloke who made the widget in beer cans (they were that short of people) yet when I got put through to the HR in Oz I was told I couldn't be interviewed because I work for the subsiduary in the Uk and the latest is that I'm not suitable even though they don't know my details or have my CV

If you take a look at Monster is a good starting place, after that try the agencies it throws up.
Alot of the positions require you to have a visa as a requirement before applying. (They don't wonna sponsor you for the visa.)

Sorry for going on but HR Pee me off

Let us know how you get on with a month in Oz
Bye
Mark

Hi Mark!

In my experience most HR departments are a waste of time! Our Hr department, at the company I currently work for, seems to be a dumping ground for people who are useless!!!

Hope you get it all sorted!

Cheers
Grant
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance!!
Go onto SEEK australia and do a job search. You will then see which agencies are advertising for your type of jobs and then you can contact them direct. Its what I am doing now. It would definately help if you can get an interview with some of them while you are there so that when you return to the UK they already know you when you come to apply for jobs

cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:01 am
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by sharkin
Go onto SEEK australia and do a job search. You will then see which agencies are advertising for your type of jobs and then you can contact them direct. Its what I am doing now. It would definately help if you can get an interview with some of them while you are there so that when you return to the UK they already know you when you come to apply for jobs

cheers
I've been looking through seek, but I thought there might have been a better way of getting a list of the agencies!?? I've got the detials of around 5 agencies at the moment, so I suppose that's not too bad!!??

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

thought there might have been a better way of getting a list of the agencies!??
Try contacting the agencies by phone. You usually get at least 1 expat who is only to grateful to impart their knowledge. They usually advise who else to contact, and who to give a wide berth.

Of course you have to do a little buttering up. It has worked a charm for my hubbie in Brisbane. It cut down his list of around 20 agents to 7. He's in accounts, so I can't really advise.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:12 am
Welsh Member!!

The best way I've found of making a list of contacts is to look on www.yellowpages.com.au ....works a treat!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:39 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Grant

Just wanted to say have a great trip (assuming you've not already been?)

Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:51 am
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by bridiej
Hi Grant

Just wanted to say have a great trip (assuming you've not already been?)

No, I'm going in 2 weeks!!! *excited*

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:53 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent, and you should have your TRA result by then so double celebrations!!!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:51 pm
Welsh Member!!

I don't think that'll arrive in time!!?? ...the CTC meeting is the 15th, and I doubt I'll get the letter before I fly out on the 19th!!??

...not sure I'd want to know anyway, if it's a big fat NO it would really spoil my 'migration looksee' holiday!!

Oh, and love you're KIT avatar by the way!!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:34 am
Welsh Member!!

I'm flying out tomorrow night!!! ....can't wait!!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:39 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you, hope you have a fab time.

We are going to Gold Coast for 3 weeks in July and then on to Sydney. I am excited now with 11 weeks to go, so you must be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly excited.

Have fun

Louise

p.s. Good luck with Company, Agency and Job hunting.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying out tomorrow night!!! ....can't wait!!!!!
Hi Grant,
Have a brilliant time
Hilary
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:11 pm
Welsh Member!!

Thanks guys! ....I'll bring you back some Rock!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.