Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i'm an expat virgin.... and need help

i'm an expat virgin.... and need help

Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

NCTATTOO34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question i'm an expat virgin.... and need help

hello.... myself and my husband are just starting the initial thoughts of emigrating in mid 07 to oz... what are the costs involved? (visa,medical,police.. etc etc)... why do some have to pay $100,000 bond? we will be entering under the skilled worker visa...
we will be looking to buy an acreage property and work around victoria as we want to keep lots of animals...
talking of which... has anyone got experience of getting 2 cats and a large horse to oz with the least amount of hassle and what the rough cost will be?does everyone sell up in the u.k before buggering off? or do they try to keep both properties on the go? - as we need the capital tied up in our property here to do this move?
i know its alot of questions and i expect that there will be many more but this site seems to hold all the answers without the bulls##t!!!!!
thanks
nctattoo
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: i'm an expat virgin.... and need help

Originally Posted by NCTATTOO34
hello.... myself and my husband are just starting the initial thoughts of emigrating in mid 07 to oz... what are the costs involved? (visa,medical,police.. etc etc)... why do some have to pay $100,000 bond? we will be entering under the skilled worker visa...
we will be looking to buy an acreage property and work around victoria as we want to keep lots of animals...
talking of which... has anyone got experience of getting 2 cats and a large horse to oz with the least amount of hassle and what the rough cost will be?does everyone sell up in the u.k before buggering off? or do they try to keep both properties on the go? - as we need the capital tied up in our property here to do this move?
i know its alot of questions and i expect that there will be many more but this site seems to hold all the answers without the bulls##t!!!!!
thanks
nctattoo
Without the bulls##t????

Which site are you on then...not BE, surely?

Welcome anyway folks....good luck in your quest!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
nctattoo

welcome to the mad house.

Wendy

PS You may want to ask one question at a time.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 4:55 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Smile Re: i'm an expat virgin.... and need help

thanks
nctattoo
Hi,we just got our Visa, class skilled independant Costs were as follows:
Visa Application £700 approx
Meds £110 per adult £55per child
Xrays £60 per adult
Renewing passports as only one year left on 2 of them
Police checks £10 each (over 16s)
Skills assesment £100 but this varies according to your trade.
Certified copies of documents £4o the lot (got a good deal on this one)
We didn't use an agent,just triple checked everything and used this site a lot for Qs and research saving thousands.Not sure about your other Qs but hope this helps
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hi There

not sure on all your questions but re the cats, you will be looking at about £2000/£2500 to ship them and for quarantine fees.

We didnt take our cats in the end as my mum didnt agree with it although lots of people on here have and have had no problems, our friends have adopted ours and thery are getting on fine, in fact they are being so spoilt that they have forgotton us all ready, which is more than I can say, I cried my eyes out for days, im ok now though knowing they are ok.

sorry bimbling on, good luck with it all.

Laura
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gjs
Hi,we just got our Visa, class skilled independant Costs were as follows:
Visa Application £700 approx
Meds £110 per adult £55per child
Xrays £60 per adult
Renewing passports as only one year left on 2 of them
Police checks £10 each (over 16s)
Skills assesment £100 but this varies according to your trade.
Certified copies of documents £4o the lot (got a good deal on this one)
We didn't use an agent,just triple checked everything and used this site a lot for Qs and research saving thousands.Not sure about your other Qs but hope this helps
thanks for the info that has given us a better idea
Old Dec 30th 2005, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi There

not sure on all your questions but re the cats, you will be looking at about £2000/£2500 to ship them and for quarantine fees.

We didnt take our cats in the end as my mum didnt agree with it although lots of people on here have and have had no problems, our friends have adopted ours and thery are getting on fine, in fact they are being so spoilt that they have forgotton us all ready, which is more than I can say, I cried my eyes out for days, im ok now though knowing they are ok.

sorry bimbling on, good luck with it all.

Laura
thanks for your help thats a great help
Old Dec 30th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
nctattoo
We are planning to emigrate in August '06 and will be taking our two cats with us. We have taken them overseas once before to Singapore for 3 years and they were absolutely fine. Just talk to your vet who can give you all the info you need. Basically you need to ensure that they are microchipped, that they have all the vaccinations up top date and especially the rabies. If they have not had rabies vaccines before them as far as I remember they give them the vaccine, then do the first bloodtest, and then a second bloodtest 6 weeeks (I think) later, but your vet should be able to guide you. Our cats are up to date but we have to check up on all the rules again in the near future and will keep you posted.

Re the horse, I am not sure but I would try to contact an Australian Horse association, you could check out this link: http://www.horsecouncil.org.au/default.asp
But if you do get your horse to Victoria I would love to give you a hand if needed, I love horses and have been riding for some years, but have never had the chance to own my own horse.

Re your property: We own a house in Surrey and have increased our mortgage on this, we will then rent it out for the forseeable future, so the house will pay for itself but we will still have the extra money to invest in a house in Australia. If you do decide to rent your house out, remember to take into account estate agents fees which can be up to 15%!

Good luck with it all,
Karin
Old Dec 31st 2005, 12:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

talking of which... has anyone got experience of getting 2 cats and a large horse to oz with the least amount of hassle and what the rough cost will be?
Loads of people take cats - getting on for 1000GBP each all in (people are cheaper!). We reluctantly rehomed 3 before we came out. It makes it much harder finding a rental this end too.

The only person I remember thinking of taking a horse was Sel but I think she decided it was just too expensive. Why not drop her a PM or search for posts by her with "horse" in them.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 10:37 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Talking Re: i'm an expat virgin.... and need help

thanks
nctattoo
Hi, have sent you a PM
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice

thanks
nctattoo
Hi,
Shipping cost for horse circa £5,000. Just sold my horse after 8 years as, at his age I could not justify the trauma or the costs. Difficult decision and I'm still not quite over it yet. Good luck.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there we are living in NE Victoria and are looking at houses (although it is unlikely that we will be able to buy for a while). You might want to check out
www.realestate.com.au
and also
www.landmark.com.au

Landmark tend to have a lot more rural properties and are a good way to get the feel for an area, check out the Real Estate section although others may well be of interest to you. If you have capital from a house in the UK then you should have no problem in finding something to suit you in Victoria it just depends on how close you want to be to Melbourne as we are 3 hours away. This doesn't bother us but some people would find that just too far, of course it is also dictated by whether you need to find work as well as where we live is decided mainly by Ian's commute to work.
Good luck with your move.
Nicky