Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm coming :) - Need lots of advice, might have bitten off more then I can chew :(

I'm coming :) - Need lots of advice, might have bitten off more then I can chew :(

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

moo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm coming :) - Need lots of advice, might have bitten off more then I can chew :(

In June / July 2013 I have applied for my 417 Working Holiday Visa. I had to apply before my 31st Birthday (July 19th) After jumping though lots of hoops and going through a "interesting" medical exam. My WHV 417 visa was granted in August 2013.

Last week I was mulling over if to "activate" the visa. As I am currently happy in the UK. New job (with extra pay ) and working with excellent colleagues etc. However I have decided I do need a gap year away and thought if I didn't go its likely i'll regret in later life. None of us is getting any younger. So i decided to book the plane tickets. Im arriving in Sydney on the 6th August. (Two days before the deadline of the visa)

I have a couple of Qs

- Bank account? Is HSBC any good? Im currently a First Direct customer.
- Student Loan Company - Im assuming I need notifiy them of my decision of leaving the UK
- Income tax - Im assuming i'll have to register for a tax code? Is that correct
- Employment - Anyone got advice on getting a job? How is the job market out there? I heard stories ecomonic wise things are slowing down. I had look on seek.au and there seems be suitable roles in the IT sector for me to apply to.
- Accomodation - Im gonna be stay in hostal for a month initally. Just to get my feet on the ground but I rather no stay in one forever. Has anyone got any advice on finding a shared house / flat to find. I had a look at Gumtree is there anywhere else I should be looking.

I forgot to mention it would be nice to meet some expats. At least im know im not gonna be alone as it will be the first time im travelling on my own abroad. Expecially to a country where I have no family staying there.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im coming :) - Need lots of advice, might of bit more then I can chew :(

To your questions in same order:

- Banks are much of a muchness really. I'd probably go with one of the four main ones for the ATM network
- can't see any particular reason you would need to notify student loan company, they EO to care so long as you keep paying
- yes apply for a TFN once you get here
- looking for a job is a very similar process to the one you already know, internet sites, agents etc. Note you will be better off looooing for contracts because of your visa restrictions
- yes gumtree, also you might meet some people in your hostel in a similar situation.

In terms if reason for coming, personally I hope that you have more reasons to come than a concern you might regret it if you don't. If you are career minded, this could spoilt your CV and in any case seems a shame if you have a great job you enjoy. I had the opportunity to live overseas when I was about 29, didn't take it and can honestly say I never gve it another moments thought and certainly have never regretted it, other things fill your life.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im coming :) - Need lots of advice, might of bit more then I can chew :(

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

- Banks are much of a muchness really. I'd probably go with one of the four main ones for the ATM network
- can't see any particular reason you would need to notify student loan company, they EO to care so long as you keep paying
- looking for a job is a very similar process to the one you already know, internet sites, agents etc. Note you will be better off looooing for contracts because of your visa restrictions
- yes gumtree, also you might meet some people in your hostel in a similar situation.

In terms if reason for coming, personally I hope that you have more reasons to come than a concern you might regret it if you don't. If you are career minded, this could spoilt your CV and in any case seems a shame if you have a great job you enjoy. I had the opportunity to live overseas when I was about 29, didn't take it and can honestly say I never gve it another moments thought and certainly have never regretted it, other things fill your life.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moo1982
- Bank account? Is HSBC any good? Im currently a First Direct customer.
Yep. No complaints here. You can use HSBC, St George or Westpac ATM's free of charge.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your feedback. Its been a great help. Considering I have booked the tickets I have commited going. There no going back. If backed out it would be £1200 down the drain lol (non refundable tickets). Prior to making the decison to goI did confide in a few close friends and select few of my work colleagues of my plans and concerns about the. All of them said I should go. One of them who was my ex line manager when I worked for British Telecom said he can't see it being an issue affecting my career as long I work in similar IT jobs in Australia. Im tempted to downgrade and work as a helpdesk engineer there seems lots of them in demand.

The work colleagues I confided in have stated I should go but make it clear in my resignation that im not leaving because of the job, pay, conditions etc. Just an opportunity has arisen and couldn't to turn it down. Im planning to noifty my employer early most likely within a fortnight of my resignation. So they can arrange for someone to come in prior to me leaving. Also as long I keep in touch with my current employer its likely I might be able to get my job back or something similar. If not I'll find another IT job in the UK its not like there is any shortage of them here.

Reasons for going
-Explore somewhere I never been before aka travel the world.
-Meet new people and make new friends etc
-Get out of my current comfort zone
-Learn to be independent. I always lived with my parents. Sad I know but its alot cheaper living alone
-Experience new things
-Maybe I might get lucky and I might fall in love (bonus, im not expecting that to happen lol)

Im sure there more.

Reasons for not going
-Giving up a decent paid job I enjoy
-Risk of financial issues later
-Not getting similar paid job on my return to the UK. Or a job I dont enjoy
-Missing family and friends (can keep in touch via social media, skype and phone).

I can't think of any other drawbacks. I think my concerns is my career and any financial worries that might happen on my return to the UK. Most likely being penniless after my trip lol A few friends who have taken gap years abroad have mentioned its natural to think like this as its a massive change. Some even had second thoughts even to the point they boarded the plane and reality hits "What on earth I am doing!" lol

Thanks for the advice regarding HSBC bank accounts. Can I set up the accounts prior leaving the UK?

As I said earlier it would be nice to meet some expats. I'll keep an eye on the Australia meet up forum page.

I think my concerns stands from that fact im actually doing something I don't know what the actual outcome is. "More like fear of the unknown". I guess I'll find out soon.

Last edited by moo1982; Jun 3rd 2014 at 12:59 am. Reason: more info
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Reasons for going
-Explore somewhere I never been before aka travel the world.
-Meet new people and make new friends etc
-Get out of my current comfort zone
-Learn to be independent. I always lived with my parents. Sad I know but its alot cheaper living alone
-Experience new things
-Maybe I might get lucky and I might fall in love (bonus, im not expecting that to happen lol)
All great reasons and more valuable than the reasons you list below

Im sure there more.

Reasons for not going
-Giving up a decent paid job I enjoy
-Risk of financial issues later
-Not getting similar paid job on my return to the UK. Or a job I dont enjoy
-Missing family (can keep in touch via social media, skype and phone).

I can't think of any other drawbacks. I think my concerns is my career and any financial worries that might happen on my return to the UK.
Oz does have careers. What you do now, what you do in 2 years and what you do in 10 should be different if you want to call it a career

Thanks for the advice regarding HSBC bank accounts. Can I set up the accounts prior leaving the UK?
They did for me, but I had quite a few quid to deposit with them. If not, setting one up upon arrival was no problem for Mrs Beoz

I think my concerns stands from that fact im actually doing something I don't know what the actual outcome is. "More like fear of the unknown". I guess I'll find out soon.
That's not a concern - that's the best part of an adventure
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing you already know that on the WHV you can only work a maximum of 6 months for any one employer, so you will have to find another job after the first 6 months.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts are you going first? Make sure you use the opportunity to travel - its a fab country and every state/territory is different from each other so would be ideal to experience at least a few different things. There are also loads of FB groups as well as meetup.com to get you connected with others. You will also meet like minded people in the hostels.

Good luck - and have a great time
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
I'm guessing you already know that on the WHV you can only work a maximum of 6 months for any one employer, so you will have to find another job after the first 6 months.
Yeah im aware of the restrictions on working. I dont mind that to be honest it will force me to actually do some holidaying. My friends have told me not just work all the time. Its supposed to be a holiday as well.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Where abouts are you going first? Make sure you use the opportunity to travel - its a fab country and every state/territory is different from each other so would be ideal to experience at least a few different things. There are also loads of FB groups as well as meetup.com to get you connected with others. You will also meet like minded people in the hostels.

Good luck - and have a great time
Initally to Sydney, im spending a month there just to get my feet on the ground. Most likely I'll stay there for a few months if I find work there. I do want to travel up to Whiteheaven Beach and there is a Mawson Trail I like to do via mountain bike (not on my own as part of an orgnasised group). Knowing my luck I'll get lost somewhere in the outback lol. The problem for me is trying to fit everything in within 12 months. It isn't really a long time.

Last edited by moo1982; Jun 3rd 2014 at 9:24 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Definitely not suggesting you pull out or anything of the kind. I just don't think that a fear about "regretting it" if you don't come is the best reason to come that is all. But clearly you have some other reasons too as you have articulated and they look like good reasons to me. I think doing something even just for an adventure is a much better reason for doing something than a fear of regret.

Thanks for your feedback. Its been a great help. Considering I have booked the tickets I have commited going. There no going back. If backed out it would be £1200 down the drain lol (non refundable tickets). Prior to making the decison to goI did confide in a few close friends and select few of my work colleagues of my plans and concerns about the. All of them said I should go. One of them who was my ex line manager when I worked for British Telecom said he can't see it being an issue affecting my career as long I work in similar IT jobs in Australia. Im tempted to downgrade and work as a helpdesk engineer there seems lots of them in demand.

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

You're welcome. Definitely not suggesting you pull out or anything of the kind. I just don't think that a fear about "regretting it" if you don't come is the best reason to come that is all. But clearly you have some other reasons too as you have articulated and they look like good reasons to me. I think doing something even just for an adventure is a much better reason for doing something than a fear of regret.
Yeah you right. My nerves getting the better of me.
Just ran HSBC to find out about opening an Australian bank account and they said they can. The only issue it will cost £100 to set up I did say I am a UK Student but the woman on the phone didn't mention it will get reduced to £50. She mentioned the £100 will stand.

To be fair to her she did mention to avoid the charge is to just open the account on my arrival. Apparently they just need my passport, visa confirmation letter and proof of address.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah you right. My nerves getting the better of me.
Just ran HSBC to find out about opening an Australian bank account and they said they can. The only issue it will cost £100 to set up I did say I am a UK Student but the woman on the phone didn't mention it will get reduced to £50. She mentioned the £100 will stand.

To be fair to her she did mention to avoid the charge is to just open the account on my arrival. Apparently they just need my passport, visa confirmation letter and proof of address.
There are banks that will open an account for no fee. Any of the big four, try NAB.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Yeah Im gonna leave doing that until I arrive at Sydney.
£100 is a lot to spend considering I need every penny from now until I leave the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Im gonna leave doing that until I arrive at Sydney.
£100 is a lot to spend considering I need every penny from now until I leave the UK.
As Bermudashorts said, the big four will open an account for free.

You can apply from the UK and collect your cards on arrival by showing your ID. Will save you time and effort once here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.