I'm back

Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barrakuda

Steph,
Good to hear from you again. Glad you are amongst it.
Is it true you settled there because it was close to Rochedale which makes you feel at home ?

Barrakuda,
Not the best but Multimap finds most places.
Just enter the road or post code.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...multimap.y=136
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bix

good to hear from you. We were originally going to look for a house in Rochedale, because we liked the school. People back home thought it was bizzare to move to the other side of the world and still live in Rochedale.

Steph x

Anyone have any ideas where I can find friends? i'm thinking of going sitting outside the supermarket pleading with someone to talk to me.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:48 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stefian
Hi Bix

good to hear from you. We were originally going to look for a house in Rochedale, because we liked the school. People back home thought it was bizzare to move to the other side of the world and still live in Rochedale.

Steph x

Anyone have any ideas where I can find friends? i'm thinking of going sitting outside the supermarket pleading with someone to talk to me.
maybe we could all meet up - although we need to get there yet - however there is nothing better (I think than getting together in a coffee shop for a good yarn every so often- must admit we do it weekly here - it would be a good way to meet people and to support one another
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Barrakuda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the map Bix.

Would love to meet with you Steph once I arrive, and with you Diddy when you arrive. It'll be so great if we all could meet together for a chat. I've heard people are getting together on July 27 somewhere on Sunshine coast, they are discussing it now. I won't arrive by that time, too bad for me. Will try to make for the next do.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:08 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Hi Bix

Steph x

Give me a couple of months and me, the missus and my two offspring will catch up with you. I'll probably be living out that way sooner or later.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:18 am
Just Joined

Have you got your visa already Ulujain?
In any case, good luck with it.

You see Steph, so many new people are coming soon, you won't have time to sit outside the supermarkets looking for new friends :-))
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:31 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Barrakuda
Have you got your visa already Ulujain?
In any case, good luck with it.

You see Steph, so many new people are coming soon, you won't have time to sit outside the supermarkets looking for new friends :-))
My wife is the one needing the visa; I'm already an Australian
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

School is a great place to start.

Then a job.

Then pinch your families friends.

Also your council might send you a brochure out (they did here in Vic) with a huge list of all groups and things to do etc in the area, just give em a call

Lastly, but most importantly, hold a tupperware party and invite evryone whose ever had eye contact with you
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:32 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PS Chocolate fingers Australia is a CONTINENT, not a town, everywhere is different
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian "Creepy Crawlies" and what to do about them!

thanks mike, i thought i was the only one who thought chocolate finger was talking out of their bum. I agree you need PMA, of which I have loads, but noneone if invincible to an odd "off day" were they miss home comforts and the people and things they left behind.

What good is non creased clothing to a toolmaker, it's a modern machine he needs.

can anyone tell me how many insects we find in and around uk houses that kill? mmmmm my point exactly.

Having said that so far we love the country. finding the fact that at 24 degrees with not a cloud in the sky, and Australians are wearing jumpers, scarves and ugg boots, which are sheepskin! they turn to us and ask us if were cold!!!

Always a tricky one this, but I learnt a trick from the St John's course I did about 5 years ago.
Basically, insect-bites such as spiders, scorpions, etc. are PROTEIN based. Just get an ice pack, or pack of frozen peas / beans out of the freezer and slap it on the bite for a long time . . . an hour or so. This will prevent swelling and inhibit the toxins. Red backs (related to Black widows in the U.S.) and funnel webs are your main problem. Don't stick your hand down a hole you haven't checked out first and look out for webs with a funnel shape . . . dead give away! You'll fins a black thing at the other end of the funnel looking at ya!
Huntsman spiders . . . those big furry things as big as your hand . . . . are pretty harmless. They'll give you a nip and it feels like a hammer whack . . . you go a bit numb on the spot, but otherwise can get about alright for the day. They actually will keep your flies and mosquitoes right down, some Aussies have them on purpose running around their house.
Snake bites are venomous some of the time. Teach your kids NOT to play with them. Most folks are bitten by mucking around with them. You're too big for them to eat, so just give them time to disappear and they'll slither off. Take a step or two back to let them know you're not going for them! If you're unfortunate to startle a snake and it zapps you, put a restrictive bandage on your limb to stop the lymphatic system transporting the poison around your body. It won't travel in your blood stream . . . it's the lymphatic system that takes most of the venom to your heart, and that relies on movement to shift the lymph fluid around your body, so just immobilise the bitten limb as much as you can, and get to hospital quick. You've got a few hours usually.
Hope this bit of info gives you more confidence in living with the creepy crawlies. I've lived here 35 years and had not dramas .. . yet!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bob & Ginnie for your explaination. could have done with it the other day though, I thought I'd been bitten by a red back. It turned out to be a big ant. They seem to like the taste of me, I get bit every day. They may be small but don't half nip.

Ulujain and Barrakuda, I would love to meet up when you arrive. We are going to the meet up in Brisbane. We went to one the week we arrived, they are really good and people are friendly. it's nice to put names to faces. Even if the names are Expats names at first. I looked puzzled when people introduced themselves with their real names, but as soon as they use their user name, it's like they are old friends.

Hevs.. well said mate anyway where have all the chocolate fingers gone
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Bix

when do you arrive. Just seen how many post you have made. you must be nearly ready for coming over

Steph
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Barrakuda

Thanks for the map Ulujain, BTW do you have such map in a downloadable version? Unfortunately I can't buy any maps here 9I'm in Saigon now) and won't be able to until I move, so I'd love to have a good map that I could download now.

This ones OK towork out where suburbs are in relation toeach other:

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/

also recommend Mulitmap for detail. Don't waste your time with whereis.com
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks Steph, we'll be arriving in August (around 19-20th), booking the tickets now. Very convenient to check and choose the best flight as I work for STA Travel here.
As I mentioned somewhere before, we'll stay near the city for a short time, then move to a 6months rental place (probably somewhere near Redcliffe or Scarborough, need to study suburbs better before I leave) and only after that will be looking for something to buy. I'm now reading all postings about the suburbs on this forum, so many contradictory opinions. Really hard to make any decision now, need to see the places myself, then decide where we'd like to stay.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for the link Jayr, a good one.
I agree about "Whereis", you need to know the exact street address to be able to "surf" through their map.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.