Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Illegal for kids to sleep in parents room? (Queensland)

Illegal for kids to sleep in parents room? (Queensland)

Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Illegal for kids to sleep in parents room? (Queensland)

I got an email from a friend who lives in Brisbane and he claims that it is illegal for children to sleep in the same room as their parents???

I understand the rule that 1 family wont be allowed to rent a 1 bedroom unit, but assuming you have 3 small kids and you rent a 3-bedroom house. Is there really such a law? ......

my 2 and 4 year old is not going to like that at all......

thanks for any inputs.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illegal for kids to sleep in parents room? (Queensland)

Originally Posted by obiwan
I got an email from a friend who lives in Brisbane and he claims that it is illegal for children to sleep in the same room as their parents???

I understand the rule that 1 family wont be allowed to rent a 1 bedroom unit, but assuming you have 3 small kids and you rent a 3-bedroom house. Is there really such a law? ......

thanks for any inputs.
I've read some pretty strange things on here but this one beats them all!

Why on earth would anyone want to stop kids sleeping in the same room as their parents? What about new-born babies, which most books recommend sleep with their parents? How come there are 'family' rooms available in hotels/motels complete with doubles for parents and bunk beds for the kids? How would such a 'law' be policed?

It's an absolute load of nonsense....
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Karen72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to allKaren72 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nickyc
I've read some pretty strange things on here but this one beats them all!

Why on earth would anyone want to stop kids sleeping in the same room as their parents? What about new-born babies, which most books recommend sleep with their parents? How come there are 'family' rooms available in hotels/motels complete with doubles for parents and bunk beds for the kids? How would such a 'law' be policed?

It's an absolute load of nonsense....
I agree, that's total rubbish surely?!?!
my 3 yr old often crawls in with us as I'm sure many do, if that's illegal then there's going to be A) a lot of upset kiddies and B) a lot of parents being charged with the offence (if that's what you can call it!!!)

Complete Rubbish!!!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen72
I agree, that's total rubbish surely?!?!
my 3 yr old often crawls in with us as I'm sure many do, if that's illegal then there's going to be A) a lot of upset kiddies and B) a lot of parents being charged with the offence (if that's what you can call it!!!)

Complete Rubbish!!!

Sounds ridiculous. When my hubby goes away on business the kids take it in turns to come and sleep in my bed with me!

This weekend my hubby is taking my daughter off for a diving competition and we have booked 1 hotel room - didn't think anything of it.

Rudi
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any inputs.
Sounds like a load of tosh, but there may be fire regs in units that limit the amount of persons in unit blocks.

Some councils in QLD are currently housing people in tents on showgrounds, (interest rates have caused a rental squeeze) cant imagine a family in a tent would have seperate bedrooms would they.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sounds like a load of tosh, but there may be fire regs in units that limit the amount of persons in unit blocks.

Some councils in QLD are currently housing people in tents on showgrounds, (interest rates have caused a rental squeeze) cant imagine a family in a tent would have seperate bedrooms would they.
People might be confusing this with a quite reasonable requirement that different sex siblings over a certain age cannot permanently share a room. Camping etc is something different again of course.

I think this is a requirement by some UK councils used when housing families.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:43 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any inputs.

Are they confusing this with sleeping in the same bed as parents? Research has shown that it can be dangerous for babies to sleep in the same bed as their parents.

I'd worry more about how you are going to cope with sharing a one bedroom unit (which will probably be quite small, apart from the lack of bedrooms!) with your kids...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Are they confusing this with sleeping in the same bed as parents? Research has shown that it can be dangerous for babies to sleep in the same bed as their parents.

I'd worry more about how you are going to cope with sharing a one bedroom unit (which will probably be quite small, apart from the lack of bedrooms!) with your kids...
I think there's a difference between compliance with the housing regulations and the criminal law! Perhaps that is what is confusing people.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
People might be confusing this with a quite reasonable requirement that different sex siblings over a certain age cannot permanently share a room. Camping etc is something different again of course.

I think this is a requirement by some UK councils used when housing families.
It probably is, but the OP said he was told this about brisbane.

Have rented and nobody ever has been the slightest concerned about who sleeps where. However again, in units as in hotels fire regs will probably limit things more.

Thinking back weve rented a house out, endless problems with tenants from not paying rent to trashing the house, but one family sublet the garage and even had people living in the breezeway however we could not evict them for that, even tho 8 - 12 poeple were living in a tiny 2 bedroom cottage
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:21 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

thanks for any inputs.
l think your friend is wrong.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:23 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
People might be confusing this with a quite reasonable requirement that different sex siblings over a certain age cannot permanently share a room.
That does'nt stop them down in Tassie.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:27 am
Banned

What about in Hong Kong they squeeze chinese extended families of 20 into 1 bedroom flats.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, children under 8 have to abide in council supplied cages.
J.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for quick reply guys.

I was hoping it was not true but I figured who was I to argue with a retired army veteran who has 2 grand kids and lived in brissy all his life. I new i was a newbie but it just didnt make any sense......

The stress of migrating (early 2007) is bad enough as it is. But the idea of forcing the kids to sleep on their own in a totally new country was stressing me even more (glad I didn’t mention it to the wifey or she would have flipped). We actually live in a 4 bedroom house but the kids have slept in our room ever since they were born.

one less thing to worry about. now if only my CO would come back from her leave already...

Cheers!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It probably is, but the OP said he was told this about brisbane.

Have rented and nobody ever has been the slightest concerned about who sleeps where. However again, in units as in hotels fire regs will probably limit things more.

Thinking back weve rented a house out, endless problems with tenants from not paying rent to trashing the house, but one family sublet the garage and even had people living in the breezeway however we could not evict them for that, even tho 8 - 12 poeple were living in a tiny 2 bedroom cottage

Did you not have a max number written into the contract? I've rented about 5 places in Oz, all of which had a cap on the max number of people allowed to occupy the property.

I must say that I admire your tenants' approach. I hope that they made a profit!
I'm sorry tho that you couldn't get rid of them - that's unfair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.