Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you were us, would you emigrate to Oz?

If you were us, would you emigrate to Oz?

Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:50 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you were us, would you emigrate to Oz?

What part of Australia are you looking at? The reason I ask is that you both have professions (police officer/social worker) for which there is a huge shortage outside the major capital cities, so if you were prepared to live in a small town or regional centre your chances of employment would be greatly enhanced.

Bear in mind that "small town" in Oz means something very different to the same terminology in the UK. Out here a small town can mean a population of 1,000 to 5,000 which is the largest conurbation for 500km in any direction.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:26 am
Just Joined

el_diablo_1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

we were considering, wa. but are open to consider anywhere really, vague i know. had been lookin at busselton, wa. we currently live in a small village of around 150 population, so rural living wouldnt be a problem, it would be preferred to be honest.

the research i have done shows most social work opportunitites to be in perth though.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by el_diablo_1983
we were considering, wa. but are open to consider anywhere really, vague i know. had been lookin at busselton, wa. we currently live in a small village of around 150 population, so rural living wouldnt be a problem, it would be preferred to be honest.

the research i have done shows most social work opportunitites to be in perth though.
Hey El Diablo,

Me and the wife had the chat last night about moving to OZ. Same as mentioned in the posts above.

Each person is different but for what it is worth we went through the lists of pro's and con's and just could not decide so we scrapped all that and thought about if we did not go would we regret it? The answer in short was yes.

It might be great, it might be a nightmare but if we did not take the chance now (27 wife, 29 me, with no kids) then we never would and we would always have the nagging doubt in the back of our mind about "what if".

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck. It is not easy one.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

You can always move back if you need to. (will cost ££££'s or $$$$'s though)

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 20th 2010 at 10:01 am.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

el_diablo_1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

mr kilt,

we have had the same discussion also, and with the same outcome. we are in an identical position, albeit im 27 and the good lady is 25.

good luck with everything...
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yes.

You can always move back if you need to. (will cost ££££'s or $$$$'s though)
I agree!! Especially as others have said if you think you would regret it if you don't try............

We are planning the big move sometime next year with two young children in tow. Not saying it's forever but ready and willing for an adventure along the way - if it doesn't work out for us, yes we will have lost money (which we don't have alot of to spare) but it won't be the end of the world.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Kilt
Hey El Diablo,

Me and the wife had the chat last night about moving to OZ. Same as mentioned in the posts above.

Each person is different but for what it is worth we went through the lists of pro's and con's and just could not decide so we scrapped all that and thought about if we did not go would we regret it? The answer in short was yes.

It might be great, it might be a nightmare but if we did not take the chance now (27 wife, 29 me, with no kids) then we never would and we would always have the nagging doubt in the back of our mind about "what if".

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck. It is not easy one.
I understand the notion of "what if", it's probably for that very reason I came here in the first place.... but the "what if", at least in my case, and judging by the moving back to the UK board is the same for many others, turned into an "oh shit" after we made the move.

It's took a long time for me to get away from that feeling and as I said somewhere before... not everybody gets a happy ending.

Personally, despite having done so myself, and with 20/20 hindsight, I don't believe that the "what if" is ample enough reason to migrate.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Personally, despite having done so myself, and with 20/20 hindsight, I don't believe that the "what if" is ample enough reason to migrate.
I agree. I also don't agree with the 'you only live once' sort of talk.

Come for the definite pull, and only if you really think you might pull it off with a happy ending.