Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well Australia for me. If I had wanted to live in the USA I would be there instead ? Does that sound a bit obvious.

The USA is a nice place I'm sure - 295 million of the most xenophobic people in the world with a constitutional right to carry guns cant be wrong...
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Centurion again.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:05 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by Wol
We now live in Oz but had homes in the US for some 12 years. The only reason we didn't stay there is that there was no way to get a permanent visa.

Our experience is that houses are much cheaper in the USA - like for like. Groceries likewise - no comparison. Taxes are far higher in Oz, except local taxes (ie. rates) which were horrendous in the States.

The general cost of things is much lower in the USA, and there is far better choice - almost too much. In may ways Oz is a third world country whose inhabitants live in the fond belief that it's first world - but compare service, availability, choice, delivery of things, etc and there's no comparison. Think the UK of the seventies, Red Robbo et al and you have the picture.

And certainly where we were in the States, the crime was almost non-existent whereas in many parts of Oz the violent crime and vandalism is totally out of control. (Quote Manly Mayor Peter McDonald direct to me)

The Les Patterson syndrome is very alive and well here!

Don't think that we are going back to the UK - we're quite happy here. But it is as well to understand what you're letting yourself in for before jumping!
USA resembles a third world country not OZ. Look at New Orleans after the Hurricane. In OZ my kids don't need to carry guns to school for self defence or get shot at by crack heads in drive by shootings.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
USA resembles a third world country not OZ. Look at New Orleans after the Hurricane. In OZ my kids don't need to carry guns to school for self defence or get shot at by crack heads in drive by shootings.
I agree. Kids with guns is society gone mad. However I found these statistics interesting :-

Number of murders in each country in 2002 - USA 16,204 (of which 71% were firearm related) and Australia 318 (breakdown wasnt given).

So assuming a population of say 294m for the USA and 20m for Australia then realistically your 3.5 times more likely to be murdered in the US taking into account population differences which is on par with living in Iran.

Would you like fries with that McAK47 ?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:36 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tin
I I also found it next to impossible to get news from the rest of the world
It's the same here there could be a natural disaster killing thousands and it would only get a foot note.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:52 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by M J
if it was the US it would be North/South Carolina border bound.
In my experience North Carolina was real "hicksville". The people were not very friendly and seemed very suspicious of outsiders. But I don't think it helped that the town I was living in was in a real recession, it was founded on the furniture business and cheap imports were causing factory closures all over the place..... Nevertheless I wouldn't live there again for all the tea in China :scared: (or should that be money in the Kent countryside )

Martyn
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi MJ,

then the year later we were send to Australia, we lived in Melbourne.
it was fantastic, I never needed the car, because I would just jump on the tramp, and do some many things on my own.

farideh
Poor Tramp I hope you tipped him well if you jumped on him everyday

Sorry but would disagree with some of your post I found getting round Melbourne if not in city centre or near to a train station difficult unless you had a car!!!! But can't comment on USA as never been there and have no intention of doing so
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We now live in Oz but had homes in the US for some 12 years. The only reason we didn't stay there is that there was no way to get a permanent visa.

Our experience is that houses are much cheaper in the USA - like for like. Groceries likewise - no comparison. Taxes are far higher in Oz, except local taxes (ie. rates) which were horrendous in the States.

The general cost of things is much lower in the USA, and there is far better choice - almost too much. In may ways Oz is a third world country whose inhabitants live in the fond belief that it's first world - but compare service, availability, choice, delivery of things, etc and there's no comparison. Think the UK of the seventies, Red Robbo et al and you have the picture.

And certainly where we were in the States, the crime was almost non-existent whereas in many parts of Oz the violent crime and vandalism is totally out of control. (Quote Manly Mayor Peter McDonald direct to me)

Don't think that we are going back to the UK - we're quite happy here. But it is as well to understand what you're letting yourself in for before jumping!

God you're good at giving a balanced post well done , informed, informative and well laid out A+
Very much an eye opener for original poster.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Tramp I hope you tipped him well if you jumped on him everyday

Sorry but would disagree with some of your post I found getting round Melbourne if not in city centre or near to a train station difficult unless you had a car!!!! But can't comment on USA as never been there and have no intention of doing so

How embarrassing is that for not checking my thread before I submitted the post,point taken.
we were living in the center of Melbourne, I believe it was called st kilda road or some thing, the tram, not the tramp , I only had to ago across the street to get on one, we were only about 30 mins walk from the shopping mall, so on the tram it use to take less than 10 mins.
I really wouldn't know how services run outside Melbourne.

farideh
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I *did* say that where we were was peaceful - not everywhere is, naturally. Mrs Wol was quite happy to go out evenings to the shops & malls or to get groceries, by herself. Even in our village in England nothing would persuade her to go for milk and risk the local youf. And the same in spades in the first place we tried here in Australia. Even where we are now, one of the better off and quitetest parts, has growing vandal problems and regular yob violence. In fact, today's local paper carries a plea from the mayor to help keep order - he quotes groups of 14-15 year olds causing trouble at 3am.

The message is not that there is any country particularly safe nowadays but that (a) each country has "better" areas and (b) one shouldn't build up an unrealistic picture of paradise and go to the other side of the world on that - otherwise you might get a rather large shock
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

OZ OZ OZ OZ OZ, beyond any shadow of any doubt! My hubby & I have lived in the states for the last 6 years in redneck country - south georgia. We have also travelled to many other states in all 4 directions, much to the bewilderment of many our collegues (many have not even been over the state line let alone to another country). While it was novel for the first few years and I absolutely LURVE the heat, once you get past the open spaces and friendly people, you start to realise it is one seriously screwed up nation.

While the americans believe it is the best country in the world (and we'll leave them with that belief because we don't want too many of them populating the rest of the world!) it is a has-been country as far as the 'american dream' goes and good old george is well on his way to making it a joke at all levels.

I could ramble on for a considerable period of time about the disunited states of america but I don't wish to offend any fierce patriotics out there. Some of our biggest frustrations with this country are:
1) the president is an idiot who is ruining what was a great country yet the american people still think he is the right choice.
2) religion is force fed to you even by the pizza delivery guy, and where we live, getting ahead in society relies solely on which church you attend.
3) americans for the most part are isolationalists, outsiders are not greatly welcomed.
4) it is the most oppressive society I have lived in and "land of the free" is a form of brainwashing the americans use to ensure they remain isolated from the rest of the world. At least we can buy beer on a sunday back in the UK, get the morning after pill or if we didn't get there in time, an abortion, and we can walk into a hospital and be treated without being interrogated about insurance!!
5) medical system - while we think paying for medical care would ensure we did not have to spend 5 hours in an emergency room - we thought wrong, so wrong. The hospital bills will terrify the pants off you!
6) racism is disgraceful, it is blatent and the use of the 'N' word is common in the south. I spent 6 months in South Africa and was more appauled by the racism in the US than I was in SA.

I have a lot of family in oz and have spent numerous months on the Gold Coast in particular, although I prefer the Sunshine Coast, Noosa esp Noosa. I think it is time we hung up our USA booties and marched on off to more liberal and chilled out shores! Well done to all those off to start a new life in Oz and maybe one day we'll see ya out there!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with almost all this! Especially the bit about the "land of the free" - it's one of the most brainwashed places on the planet.

We found it a nice place to live though!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:35 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol

The USA might have lower taxes, more consumer goods and choice, hundreds more TV stations, but that does'nt make up for all the advantages living in OZ has over the USA such as far less crime and poverty, less crowds, pollution, traffic conjestion etc.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Mar 1st 2006 at 9:37 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:47 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

I can handle not being able to get baked beans or my favourite face cream so consumer goods and the tv choice doesnt bother me.What i want is a good wholesome life style,fresh air,real outdoor living ,less crime and SPACE.

The USA might have lower taxes, more consumer goods and choice, hundreds more TV stations, but that does'nt make up for all the advantages living in OZ has over the USA such as far less crime and poverty, less crowds, pollution, traffic conjestion etc.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by M J
I can handle not being able to get baked beans or my favourite face cream so consumer goods and the tv choice doesnt bother me.What i want is a good wholesome life style,fresh air,real outdoor living ,less crime and SPACE.
Astonishing as it may sound, you can get baked beans in Australia.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:43 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Astonishing as it may sound, you can get baked beans in Australia.

Thats it then.......I'm sold....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.