Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you could turn the clock back!

If you could turn the clock back!

Old May 22nd 2006, 2:06 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could turn the clock back!

I don't know if I regret moving over here. In a few weeks time we are going back to England for a few weeks holiday, my first visit back in two years - deliberately, as I felt going back any sooner, I would have stayed there and not returned to Australia.

Now it will be a chance for me to see it the grass is greener, if I really do miss England as much as I think I do, or whether as soon as I touch down at Heathrow I want to leave again.

What I do know is that moving here has put an incredible strain on our relationship, though we are also a lot stronger for it. Neither of us has made really good friends yet to make up for the ones we left in England, which is very hard.

I have to admit to feeling a bit bored with the Australian landscape (that is, areas which are close enough that we can drive to for the day) and I'm looking forward to seeing different scenery, architecture, animals/birds etc. But I like the fact that even though it's getting colder, when the sun's out we can still venture outside and have a picnic lunch Then again, it will be nice to go out during the day for a few minutes and not have to put sun cream on...

A chels
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's a clumsy attack and, really, I expected more from you.
To read that I didn't meet your expectations made my day - well, that and Brits show Aussies how to design Socceroos' World Cup kit: http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.a...5001023,00.htm.

Now I know that you think UK is a hell-hole with heaven awaiting you in Oz.

So, let's try a different tack to penetrate that rather dense object atop your shoulders.

I believe you are some kinda low-brow journo, writing can't-miss articles for journals such as Greyhound Molesters' Gazette, What Bollard? and Trainspotters' Wives.

So, you'll no doubt appreciate comments, on Oz, by one of your scribbling brothers, a Mr Jeremy Clarkson. Rumour has it that he is a tad more successful than you, but I'm sure that's just a vicious rumour. A short extract (remember it?) sums it up:

"Nobody ever went to live in Australia because of the success they'd made of things at home. "I have thousands of friends, endless party invitations, a wonderful, happy family, a great job and even better prospects. So I'm off." All Australians are descended from Billy No Mates. "

What say you, William?
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

Whoa! Guys! Put your claws away!

This isn't the 'UK VS. OZ' Forum!

Both places have their good and bad points...
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desire
If you knew what you know now, would you still emigrate?
I'm just curious of other peoples thoughts.
I have been here 11 months now, still not sure how i feel, a bit like being in no mans land at the moment.
Well it depends what you mean in a temporal sense. If you mean, would I do it all again, no bloody way, I couldn't go through all that again. But if you mean we could time shift back two years having not gone through it all but with the knowledge then yeah we would do it. Its something I think I could only do once. Is this making sense?

Actually if we are talking about the benefit of hindsight, we would have bought a house in Melbourne the first time we were there 5 years ago, and we'd be living in Brighton by the beach blowing rasperries at the riff raff as they commute into work. We would have borrowed as much as we could from the banks and bought into BHP billiton and Rio Tinto, and I'd have bet the house and all our shares on England winning the rugby world cup in 2004, just to piss the aussies off and wipe out their bookies.

Ahh, the joys of hindsight,

JTL
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jdt3000]Whoa! Guys! Put your claws away![QUOTE]

"Hrmphh.......but I am so superior to that son of a crim. He is so far below me he might as well be downunder. He'll never reach my level."
Attached Thumbnails If you could turn the clock back!-stilts.jpg  
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

"Ahhh.....but sticking your head in the clouds is no defense against woodworm or a strong blow or two from my trusty axe"
Attached Thumbnails If you could turn the clock back!-lumberjack.jpg  
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:56 am
anonymous1234

Angry Re: If you could turn the clock back!

Stanton...Get a life, you sad, whinging POM. Just because you failed to make it here in Australia, don't put other people down for trying. Your pathetically negative attitude is no doubt the reason that you prefer it in the UK...You are the apitome of a whinging POM. No wonder the Australian's have such a bad view of us with moaners like you around. If you don't have anything good to say about Australia, then GET OUT of the Australia forum...

I have watched this forum for quite a while (under a different username of course), and I have also read a lot of your posts Stanton, and it sickens me to listen to you whinge constantly. I was quite prepared to suffer the occasional "UK is much much better, Australia is ****", but you have taken it too far. You came, you failed to see, you left for pastures brown and soggy again. Get over it. You're no longer an expat. So why are you still posting?

AND THAT GOES FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO WHINGE, BITCH OR MOAN ABOUT ANYTHING...IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING POSITIVE OR CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY, SHOVE OFF...

Old May 22nd 2006, 11:59 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anonymous1234
Stanton...Get a life, you sad, whinging POM. Just because you failed to make it here in Australia, don't put other people down for trying. Your pathetically negative attitude is no doubt the reason that you prefer it in the UK...You are the apitome of a whinging POM. No wonder the Australian's have such a bad view of us with moaners like you around. If you don't have anything good to say about Australia, then GET OUT of the Australia forum...

I have watched this forum for quite a while (under a different username of course), and I have also read a lot of your posts Stanton, and it sickens me to listen to you whinge constantly. I was quite prepared to suffer the occasional "UK is much much better, Australia is ****", but you have taken it too far. You came, you failed to see, you left for pastures brown and soggy again. Get over it. You're no longer an expat. So why are you still posting?

AND THAT GOES FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO WHINGE, BITCH OR MOAN ABOUT ANYTHING...IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING POSITIVE OR CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY, SHOVE OFF...
Have you ever thought about joining a debating society ......or perhaps diplomatic services
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Have you ever thought about joining a debating society ......or perhaps diplomatic services

Do you think he disagrees with Hutch then ?
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Do you think he disagrees with Hutch then ?
I reckon he's hutches bro
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

I reckon he's hutches bro
Is he a lumberjack too ? or a member of The...........
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Is he a lumberjack too ? or a member of The...........
.....debating society
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:08 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

.....debating society

Spani............
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:10 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonymous1234

Well maybe if you wern't so gutless and posted under your real name we might have listened to you.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Spani............
....Spanish inquisition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.