Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you could turn the clock back!

If you could turn the clock back!

Old May 21st 2006, 12:21 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could turn the clock back!

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I love Aussie TV as there is good stuff on ABC and good independent films on SBS. No adverts.

The rest I wouldn't watch anywhere in the world. It's all the same crap.

The poster not liking summer nights is a bit weird! I take it then that there is no takers from your family when the Grease number comes along.
What amazes me is when people pass of the bad telly notion in Oz as it being all ok as they are looking forward to all the other social pleasures you can obtain here in Oz in the evening……Long hard think, there are not any! My evenings that start at about 5.30pm of telly watching and jigsaw puzzles, book reading and music. There’s bog all to do apart from entertain yourself so for me TV is essential. A trip to the pub is a non starter as I’ve tried it and trying to make conversation with the pubs only other customer, one eye’d jack, soon gets boring. The evening pub life here is just nowhere near as good as it was back home and apart from the pub and cinema there is nothing to do. You can’t even normally eat out after about 8pm’ish.

Those people that think that Australia offers so much more in the very long and black evenings to do that TV doesn’t matter have got a rude awakening coming. Just wait till you find you ‘need’ that big TV and huge DVD collection!
Old May 21st 2006, 12:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
What amazes me is when people pass of the bad telly notion in Oz as it being all ok as they are looking forward to all the other social pleasures you can obtain here in Oz in the evening……Long hard think, there are not any! My evenings that start at about 5.30pm of telly watching and jigsaw puzzles, book reading and music. There’s bog all to do apart from entertain yourself so for me TV is essential. A trip to the pub is a non starter as I’ve tried it and trying to make conversation with the pubs only other customer, one eye’d jack, soon gets boring. The evening pub life here is just nowhere near as good as it was back home and apart from the pub and cinema there is nothing to do. You can’t even normally eat out after about 8pm’ish.

Those people that think that Australia offers so much more in the very long and black evenings to do that TV doesn’t matter have got a rude awakening coming. Just wait till you find you ‘need’ that big TV and huge DVD collection!
You constantly refer to 'Australia' when what you actually mean, is 'A five mile radius around my very rural home.'. It's getting very old.

Both my soon-to-be locals are excellent, the regulars are friendly and easy to talk to, the food served well after 9. I'll take an Aussie pub over an identi-kit Beefeater clone any day of the week.
Old May 21st 2006, 12:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Regrets....I have had a few ...................etc etc

yes I regret being here, I would also regret if we had not tried it....so basically buggered!

still waiting on a lottery win ..............
Old May 21st 2006, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desire
If you knew what you know now, would you still emigrate?
I'm just curious of other peoples thoughts.
I have been here 11 months now, still not sure how i feel, a bit like being in no mans land at the moment.
In one respect, I'm with Worzel - in that I'd wish I'd done it years ago.....

But, having said that - time and experience have made me the person I am, and think that I have made a better go of it now than I might have done.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
You constantly refer to 'Australia' when what you actually mean, is 'A five mile radius around my very rural home.'. It's getting very old.

Both my soon-to-be locals are excellent, the regulars are friendly and easy to talk to, the food served well after 9. I'll take an Aussie pub over an identi-kit Beefeater clone any day of the week.
Let's clear up one thing. Hutch, you are a 100% hypocrite. You spend much (all?) of your time bitchin' about the UK and yet cannot deal with others complaining about the Dust Bowl down under. Of course you don't like to hear that all is not perfect Down Under and that some went, saw and decided UK is better. Tough titty.

Arkon is telling others what country pubs are like in Oz. And I ditto his comments; the Oz pubs are crap. This may come as a shock to you, but in country Oz, there is F all to do; there is no thriving social scene where residents swap bon mots. Rather, the height of social excitement is to visit a 'pub', wearing your best knee-length white socks, and shed a tear when you lose the raffle and miss out on a meat platter. Be still my beating heart!

Most of the Oz pubs are just rough assembly areas for the town drunks. They are not a patch on a half-decent English country pub. And many of the Oz city pubs aren't much better than their country cousins; they are mainly characterless boxes.

Now, you may prefer the Oz pubs, but that says a lot more about you...

Last edited by MikeStanton; May 21st 2006 at 1:25 pm.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:23 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Let's clear one thing up, here. Hutch, you are a 100% hypocrite.
Remind me again who said they were going to stop posting on this forum when they returned to chav-land?
Old May 21st 2006, 1:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

You spend much (all?) of your time bitchin' about the UK
Actually - you're right Stanton, I am a hypocrite. Most of the stuff I say about the UK is designed to get a rise out of xenophobic half-wits. Looks like it's working.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Remind me again who said they were going to stop posting on this forum when they returned to chav-land?
Oh...he loves it far too much...
Old May 21st 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Actually - you're right Stanton, I am a hypocrite. Most of the stuff I say about the UK is designed to get a rise out of xenophobic half-wits. Looks like it's working.
Thank you, my buck-toothed chum. That still means I have 50% more wit than you. And, please, look up the definition of xenophobia. It means fear of foreigners, not 'I don't care much for Aussies in Australia.' I think you'll find the correct word is not xenophobic, but 'rational'. It is the very parochialism (you'd better look that up too), of Oz that was one of the drivers for our return. As for you, the term 'loser' seems to be most appropriate.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:39 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Let's clear up one thing. Hutch, you are a 100% hypocrite. You spend much (all?) of your time bitchin' about the UK and yet cannot deal with others complaining about the Dust Bowl down under. Of course you don't like to hear that all is not perfect Down Under and that some went, saw and decided UK is better. Tough titty.

Arkon is telling others what country pubs are like in Oz. And I ditto his comments; the Oz pubs are crap. This may come as a shock to you, but in country Oz, there is F all to do; there is no thriving social scene where residents swap bon mots. Rather, the height of social excitement is to visit a 'pub', wearing your best knee-length white socks, and shed a tear when you lose the raffle and miss out on a meat platter. Be still my beating heart!

Most of the Oz pubs are just rough assembly areas for the town drunks. They are not a patch on a half-decent English country pub. And many of the Oz city pubs aren't much better than their country cousins; they are mainly characterless boxes.

Now, you may prefer the Oz pubs, but that says a lot more about you...
Crikey, you must have been to my local! I'd forgotten about the raffles for a hamper of shite.

For anyone else reading and doubting what MikeStanton is saying, regardless of what hutch says it is all 100% true. If you like your pubs then ignore us at your own peril! How anyone can actually say the Oz pubs are better than the UK ones is beyond me. I'm not so sure its just a rural thing either as 2 pubs I visited in Melbourne were crap and so was a few I visited in Sydney. I can't speak for Brisbane as after the other 2 cities dissapointments I didn't bother going to any.

I know there will be some thinking, 'well we don't like the overcrowded noisy smelly pubs in Britian anyway so I doesn't matter'. Well when at 5.30pm the sun starts going down and by 5.33pm it's pissed off altogether and plunged you into darkness and your wondering what to do after you've done the same jigsaw 50 times, don't even consider the pub unless you have 10 friends to take with you.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Thank you, my buck-toothed chum. That still means I have 50% more wit than you. And, please, look up the definition of xenophobia. It means fear of foreigners, not 'I don't care much for Aussies in Australia.' I think you'll find the correct word is not xenophobic, but 'rational'. It is the very parochialism (you'd better look that up too), of Oz that was one of the drivers for our return. As for you, the term 'loser' seems to be most appropriate.
Ah Mike, you jealous of my buck-toothed smile? Nobody knows you wear dentures. Really! That wig however ...

Now then, I wondered when our Mr Academia would get pedantic (best look that up), seems the time has arrived. It's a clumsy attack and, really, I expected more from you.

Xenophobia: A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples. Or, since I know you're pedantic (have you looked that up yet?), the OED definition is: noun intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries. Intense? Check. Irrational? Check. People from other countries? Check. Hmmm, I don't think we need a Crimewatch E-Fit, do we?

Incidentally, is Arkon related to you? Product of a previous relationship or something? He can look after himself you know, and I have to say, he does a far better job at arguing his case than you do.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Who needs bleedin telly when we've got this
Old May 21st 2006, 2:03 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have chosen a different agent

D D
Old May 21st 2006, 2:05 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Who needs bleedin telly when we've got this

D D
Old May 21st 2006, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream

D D
Who can afford to go down a pub these days anyhow? I like the sound of drive in offlicences though!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.