Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you could turn the clock back!

If you could turn the clock back!

Old May 20th 2006, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could turn the clock back!

Originally Posted by lawrenson
what are daylight hour Winter/summer on East Coast of OZ?
You will find that info here
Old May 20th 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

lawrenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WendyC
thank you
i wondered where the hell you were sending me for a moment. wouldn't have thought of looking somewhere like that !!!
Old May 20th 2006, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawrenson
thank you
i wondered where the hell you were sending me for a moment. wouldn't have thought of looking somewhere like that !!!
I know, info pops up in the most unlikely places sometimes.
Old May 20th 2006, 12:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desire
If you knew what you know now, would you still emigrate?
Yes oh yes.

The missus and I didn't have any really close friends in the UK, don't have any now, so no difference there.

She misses family but it doesn't bother me cos "I'm a bloke".

Biggest regrets.
Having to depart company with our cats.
Not selling the house before coming. Tried but couldn't. Had to move when we did because of the job. Biggest arse aches we've had all surround owning the UK property. Hopefully that will soon be over though.
Old May 20th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG, they really NEED to get Daylight saving in Brisbane! Dark at 5-6pm all year round! :scared: Not sure I can cope. Might have to move to Sydney!!
Why don't they have it?
Old May 20th 2006, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sparkley23
OMG, they really NEED to get Daylight saving in Brisbane! Dark at 5-6pm all year round! :scared: Not sure I can cope. Might have to move to Sydney!!
Why don't they have it?
Its between 5pm in winter and 6:47pm in summer in brisbane.

Sydney is 5:50 in winter and 8:10 in summer.
Old May 20th 2006, 1:24 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Why don't they have it?
Aparently because they think the cows won't give milk and the curtains will fade more. I kid you not...
Old May 20th 2006, 1:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Aparently because they think the cows won't give milk and the curtains will fade more. I kid you not...
Nah, that's just a cover up story.

The truth is the watches here don't have a winder with which to move the hands.
Old May 21st 2006, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wmoore
Three-and-a-half-grand? Is that the going rate for an agent?

I've always been the sort to have a go at anything - from fixing the car to re-wiring the house - so I was happy to have a look at what was involved and to be honest, I didn't see it being that difficult. The key thing is to do your research before you start filling any forms in, use BE as a resource to help

Of course, there are cases that have complications, etc and maybe in those cases it's worth speaking to an expert.
WMOORE-i agree with you about non straightforward cases(forgot to mention it,of course not everyone is in same boat) I wouldnt have hesitated to use agent if we had had a complicated case,mind you I would definately have shopped around and NOT accepted the 1st quote we were given(just as you would with the removalist & estate agent-some good personal recommendations are what we usually go by too)
Didnt pick-up on ""Expats ""til we'd been here 30months!!! Now I recommend it ++++++
No daylight saving in Perth WA either-what a bummer! I really miss my light nights-Solved by getting up a lot earlier & making THE MOST out of your day
(Like what we never did at "home"!!!!!)
Jan in PERTH (Summer))sunrise 5.15-5.41am sunset 7.26-7.19pm
july in Perth(Winter) sunrise 7.18-6.31am and sunset is 5.24-5.17 pm

Last edited by Angelap; May 21st 2006 at 1:48 am.
Old May 21st 2006, 2:02 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

My god - -it gets dark earlier than i'd thought.

Does this mean i haven't done my research very well???????

Mind you - - I'll still be there on my very own bit of Oz having a fag and a wine, watching the sunset!!!!

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 2:16 am
Just Joined

redmini is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just curious of other peoples thoughts.
I have been here 11 months now, still not sure how i feel, a bit like being in no mans land at the moment.
I feel like I am in no mans land as well at the moment. I have been here 5 months and my homesickness is not so bad as it was. I like Australia but not sure it will ever be home. With hindsight I wish I had appreciated the life I had back in the UK. The distance from family and friends has definitely been a problem for me.
Old May 21st 2006, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

I'm just curious of other peoples thoughts.
I have been here 11 months now, still not sure how i feel, a bit like being in no mans land at the moment.

Hi

Just coming up to our 11th year here, and have no regrets at all. Sorry yes one, wish we had done it earlier.

I havent even returned to the uk for a hol, whats the point the family keep coming here for a holiday because they love it too!!!!!

Kim
Old May 21st 2006, 8:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I regret leaving my citizenship certificate in the drawer for over a decade.
Old May 21st 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by redmini
I feel like I am in no mans land as well at the moment. I have been here 5 months and my homesickness is not so bad as it was. I like Australia but not sure it will ever be home. With hindsight I wish I had appreciated the life I had back in the UK. The distance from family and friends has definitely been a problem for me.
Did you have doubts about going to Aus from the beginning, or has the "problems" come on only in the last 5 months?
Old May 21st 2006, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I love Aussie TV as there is good stuff on ABC and good independent films on SBS. No adverts.

The rest I wouldn't watch anywhere in the world. It's all the same crap.

The poster not liking summer nights is a bit weird! I take it then that there is no takers from your family when the Grease number comes along.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; May 21st 2006 at 9:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.