Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If worst comes to worst...

If worst comes to worst...

Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:20 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Default If worst comes to worst...

Hi all, I'm moving to Australia in July after my A-Level exams and if I don't do as well as I want to, can I go to school in Australia and take their equivalent exams even though I'd be 18? I'm hoping it won't come to this, the University of Melbourne want BBC for guarenteed entry.

While I have made a thread, I'm moving to Victoria and is there anything to expect? I'm a little nervous but I have have an open mind and everyone says it is amazing. What is the best way to make friends, is it harder as I would be foreign?

Thanks all
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If worst comes to worst...

Hi Robw4, hopefully you will get some replies from members in Victoria in the morning. Perhaps in the meantime, let everyone know which type of visa you're coming on, as this affects school fees. They will also know more about Year 11 and 12 in Victoria.

There are so many different nationalities here joining schools during the year, that being foreign is not an issue. Doing a sports activity, or other hobby, and going to uni/school are great ways to meet people here.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:58 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

It's my Dads business visa. Mum, Dad and my brother and sister are already in Australia. They are eagerly anticipating starting school in february to make friends!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You probably wont go back to school as the other kids of your age will have left by then but you can do VCE at TAFE. There are other unis in Melbourne which may accept lower scores though and then you might be able to transfer to Melbourne uni. You would have to do really badly at A levels not to get an entry score for somewhere in Melbourne.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:04 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robw4
Hi all, I'm moving to Australia in July after my A-Level exams and if I don't do as well as I want to, can I go to school in Australia and take their equivalent exams even though I'd be 18? I'm hoping it won't come to this, the University of Melbourne want BBC for guarenteed entry.

While I have made a thread, I'm moving to Victoria and is there anything to expect? I'm a little nervous but I have have an open mind and everyone says it is amazing. What is the best way to make friends, is it harder as I would be foreign?

Thanks all
Quite often there will be an associated diploma you can do at TAFE* which the Uni will accept - you can check with your course provider/student services if there is, and also if this will give you credit on your degree course (depending on the course you might not have to do the first semester/year at uni, so you wouldn't have lost any 'time')

*This is the case in NSW, you'd have to check if the situation was the same for Victoria
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:25 pm
=]

Smile Re: If worst comes to worst...

Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks!