Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If there was a bit more space in the container

If there was a bit more space in the container

Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:29 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default If there was a bit more space in the container

Again this is one for those who have made the move to Oz. In hindsight is there anything you wish you had taken across from Australia. Not so much personal belongings, more things you think are expensive in Oz and wish you had brought in the UK

For example most of the major music shops are selling loads of bargain price CDs and DVD's and we are stocking up before we go.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:59 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: If there was a bit more space in the container

Originally posted by HUP
Again this is one for those who have made the move to Oz. In hindsight is there anything you wish you had taken across from Australia. Not so much personal belongings, more things you think are expensive in Oz and wish you had brought in the UK

For example most of the major music shops are selling loads of bargain price CDs and DVD's and we are stocking up before we go.

Bear in mind the dvd regions are different over there, they are reg 3 i think.... so you will need a multi region player.

We are taking everything we own.....

Things to stock up on? Not much i personally can think of, but :

Marmite
Someone on here once said take razor blades as the are pricey out there....
Cd's...as you are doing
Clothes. My wife reckons the sales over here in the UK are heaven on earth
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

we're not there yet but things i've been told to take with me are kids clothes from GAP as they have no stores in aus, also my cousin told me that facial skincare products and cosmetics (clarins, clinique etc) are more expensive over there, but once you're there and thinking in dollars are you really going to care what it would have cost you in the uk. Dont give yourself more work than you already have.

lynn
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:30 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
we're not there yet but things i've been told to take with me are kids clothes from GAP as they have no stores in aus, also my cousin told me that facial skincare products and cosmetics (clarins, clinique etc) are more expensive over there, but once you're there and thinking in dollars are you really going to care what it would have cost you in the uk. Dont give yourself more work than you already have.

lynn
lynn yer gonna run out of the crap eventually so whats the point...and in 40deg heat you will dry up like an old prune, so don,t waste yer money,,,,,,,,,,, MM
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

my sentiments exactly mr mover, i dont see the point in filling up your container with stuff just cause you cant get it in aus, or its more expensive, now i know i'm going to get shot down for this but what the hell, i intend to think australian and live australian when i get there, none of this how much is that in pounds, and thats not what i'd have done in britain rubbish for me. The only exeption would have to be the gap stuff for the kids but as my other half says, whats the point nobody in australia has heard of gap!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:36 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

my sentiments exactly mr mover, i dont see the point in filling up your container with stuff just cause you cant get it in aus, or its more expensive, now i know i'm going to get shot down for this but what the hell, i intend to think australian and live australian when i get there, none of this how much is that in pounds, and thats not what i'd have done in britain rubbish for me. The only exeption would have to be the gap stuff for the kids but as my other half says, whats the point nobody in australia has heard of gap!
I'm taking nothing I'm only gonna take Gap stuff?

Thats a bit like saying I'm not racist I just don't like Pakis (Please note I am quoting a saying and not a sentiment here)
And theres no racist implications to you either!!!

Last edited by HUP; Aug 5th 2003 at 5:49 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:45 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there was a bit more space in the container

Originally posted by HUP

HUP,
I have asked a similar question on another website except we're going to NZ, and apart from the usual food items (that cannot be taken anyway) the clothes and cheap flatpack furniture are the main suggestions coming through.

I would also suggest any less mainstream books, CDs, etc for which availability in Aust/NZ will be a bit more limited.

What about some artwork of your favourite part of UK (or Europe even)?
Old Aug 5th 2003, 3:55 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

I intend to think australian and live australian when i get there
Hey if your thinking Australian then don't take anything just nick it when ya get out there

Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:26 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP
I'm taking nothing I'm only gonna take Gap stuff?

Thats a bit like saying I'm not racist I just don't like Pakis (Please note I am quoting a saying and not a sentiment here)

Hmm. Don't see the link.

Roll over, another moment arises, I breathe once more, no heart attack just yet, nursie.

IMHO take everything or take nothing (apart from some clothes.)
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:48 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hmm. Don't see the link.

Roll over, another moment arises, I breathe once more, no heart attack just yet, nursie.

IMHO take everything or take nothing (apart from some clothes.)

Don,

I see you clocked up another milestone on the old post counter today. Well done and all that.

You have had about 30% of PBs activity. You'll be glad not to even go for that one.

Did you ever say where in middle Europe you live? I recall it being close to Vienna, but not necessarily in Austria. Czeck Republic or Bavaria maybe. Not the most exciting place in the world? Rules out Italy I guess, although the Sud Tirol isn't exactly heaving either.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:07 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by southerner
Don,

I see you clocked up another milestone on the old post counter today. Well done and all that.

You have had about 30% of PBs activity. You'll be glad not to even go for that one.

Did you ever say where in middle Europe you live? I recall it being close to Vienna, but not necessarily in Austria. Czeck Republic or Bavaria maybe. Not the most exciting place in the world? Rules out Italy I guess, although the Sud Tirol isn't exactly heaving either.
Cheers, Southerner, I didn't notice that one (but you lot better look when I hit 2000!) Never actually said where I live but you get the general 1000km picture. Could even be München Bierfest. Loved Italy when I did live there. As I did love Spain, France and Portugal when I lived there too.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

HUP

I am in fact taking a conainer filled with all my worldly goods, my childrens toys and both my work equipment for both myself and my husband, in addition to that i am taking some clothes for all of us including items purchased in GAP, i personally dont see the problem in this, i was merely making the point that if your kids like stuff from GAP then you cannot get it in Australia, i dont see how this makes me a racist, i have a good friend who was born in Pakistan, i have friends of Jamaican origin, i once dated a guy from India, god i even like the English, some of them anyway. Maybe i'm being thick here but how does choosing to buy some t-shirts for my kids from GAP make me a racist.

I was having a really good day today, not anymore!

Lynn
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:11 pm
Don
Banned

Smile once more! We all wish you the best of goddamn luck.

Great that you are a Rainbow Warrior.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:47 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Default whoa neddy

HUP

I am in fact taking a conainer filled with all my worldly goods, my childrens toys and both my work equipment for both myself and my husband, in addition to that i am taking some clothes for all of us including items purchased in GAP, i personally dont see the problem in this, i was merely making the point that if your kids like stuff from GAP then you cannot get it in Australia
Lynn
Sense of humour failure alert. The point I was making was that you said you wanted to live Australian and not worry about taking stuff except gap.

The anology had nothing to do with you being racist if you looked at the bit in brackets it was more to do with the

Im totally against this well except maybe that

I apologise for any offence caused
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry HUP

I guess i'm just a bit sensitive, i get your point now you've explained it! I guess the kids taste will change to all thats surfy within a few weeks but i do believe that if you're going to go there and enjoy it then you should forget, ok not forget maybe dissassociate yourself from anything british you cant get over there, i guess that comes with time, so i'll refrain from shopping at gap if you dont stuff your container full of cornflakes or something. Now we are friends again who are you using for your move?

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.