Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If I were to buy a new sofa and chairs in Oz

If I were to buy a new sofa and chairs in Oz

Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice
Smile If I were to buy a new sofa and chairs in Oz

If I were to buy a new sofa and chairs in Oz what would I get for my money compaired with the UK. i don't want to have to ship all my stuff if I can replace at a resonable cost.

GreenTea
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

charleyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I were to buy a new sofa and chairs in Oz

Originally Posted by GreenTea
If I were to buy a new sofa and chairs in Oz what would I get for my money compaired with the UK. i don't want to have to ship all my stuff if I can replace at a resonable cost.

GreenTea
Hi we sold everything and replaced it once we arrived. I personally think its easier to just bring the money but it depends if you have loadsa expensive antique furniture - which we didn't! I reckong the prices are about the same once you are earning dollars.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

GreenTea
Hi there

We've just bought a new lounge suite from Super A-mart. a 3 seater and 2 singles. Suede finish, recliners. Cost $1,899.

Also have dining room table and chairs on order. That cost $1,990.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Hya
Ikea have an australian branch in Adelaide - why dont you go onto the website and cost out replacing your furniture on that? Or you could go mad and cost it out in Myers................
Louise
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:52 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Hya
Ikea have an australian branch in Adelaide - why dont you go onto the website and cost out replacing your furniture on that?
Or you could do a "Blue Peter" and make some some furniture out of bits of cheap wood and a bit of plastic stuck in certain places to make it "contemporary" oh sorry thats what ikea does
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frogboy
Or you could do a "Blue Peter" and make some some furniture out of bits of cheap wood and a bit of plastic stuck in certain places to make it "contemporary" oh sorry thats what ikea does
Karma on it's way
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

........got to agree...............IKEA isnt bad!!! Unkess you want to go the whole hog abd shop at David Jones!!! :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

GreenTea
Hi, I really like the furniture at a shop called Freedom. We bought 2 two-seater suede sofas in the sale for $1600. I'm sure I could not have got anything as nice for that price in the UK. There is also a website to give you an idea at www.freedom.com.au. We did not ship big items as our furniture all needed replacing. It can be nice to buy everything new, especially as I wanted to buy bigger beds for everyone, but my house still looks half empty six months' later.

Good luck with the move whatever you decide.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:27 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi, I really like the furniture at a shop called Freedom. We bought 2 two-seater suede sofas in the sale for $1600. I'm sure I could not have got anything as nice for that price in the UK. There is also a website to give you an idea at www.freedom.com.au. We did not ship big items as our furniture all needed replacing. It can be nice to buy everything new, especially as I wanted to buy bigger beds for everyone, but my house still looks half empty six months' later.

Good luck with the move whatever you decide.
I agree. Freedom is a bit like Habitat, but not as ridiculously over-priced. I think that generally speaking (sorry Vash) you get more for your money here for furniture.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:14 am
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we hadn't bothered bringing anything over - It's horrible having to make do with just a few bits of new furniture in an unfurnished rental while you wait for the container to arrive. It would have been much better to buy everything new when we moved into the rental - we had to buy beds, sofas and kitchen basics anyway.

In my opinion the furniture out here is much nicer, has much more choice and is not very expensive. We shall be putting our entire container load on ebay! What a waste of time and money it was shipping!