Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If I knew then, what I know now...

Wikiposts

If I knew then, what I know now...

Old Jun 4th 2005, 3:17 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

Originally Posted by JayDeee
You can buy Marmite here, same jar as the Uk but it is called My Mate.

Do not whatever you do buy the other brands of Marmite cos they are crap

You can pretty much get everything here if you look for it.

Kala
Hi Kala

thanks for that

though just wondering still, can you ship food out in the container feel might as well fill it up if we can??
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:02 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

Originally Posted by Rooksie
are catholic schools classed as private schools??
Almost! We got our eldest two in by the skin of their teeth we had filed the appllications about 6 months prior to arriving here, but in our case it didn't make any difference-no decision was made until we were interviewed by the Principal and Parish Priest once we arrived.

Phil x
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philian4
Almost! We got our eldest two in by the skin of their teeth we had filed the appllications about 6 months prior to arriving here, but in our case it didn't make any difference-no decision was made until we were interviewed by the Principal and Parish Priest once we arrived.

Phil x

did you have to supply a letter from your parish priest in UK??
Old Jun 4th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
I always think that people like your grandmother must have been fascinating to listen to. Contrasting Yorkshire - city or countryside - on a drizzly November day with Australia. I wonder how she fitted in - was she unusual (being a migrant) at that time? (or were the numbers similar to today?) Also just before WW1 and all the trauma that it entailed.

Has Australia kept aural histories of early 20th C. migrants?
My mother was an only child for about 8 years and her parents used to tell her stories about their lives (1880s to 1920s in UK, USA and Australia). They lived in rural NSW and the family was the only source of immediate entertainment. She, being a bright child kept those memories and after she retired she started typing them out. She also researched @ various places to establish the historical accuracy and proper chronology of what she was told and remembered.

During one visit to me, she discovered "Word Processing" !!! So for nearly 3 months solid she transposed her typing and wrote down whatever else she could remember.

It is fascinating reading, not only because it is my family. We are now looking for a Publisher.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Catholic Schools tend to be a bit cheaper, the Christian ones are from about $2,000 to $4,000 per year
What about the non-Christian Catholic schools? What are they like ?

JTL
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:02 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ialibu
My mother was an only child for about 8 years and her parents used to tell her stories about their lives (1880s to 1920s in UK, USA and Australia). They lived in rural NSW and the family was the only source of immediate entertainment. She, being a bright child kept those memories and after she retired she started typing them out. She also researched @ various places to establish the historical accuracy and proper chronology of what she was told and remembered.

During one visit to me, she discovered "Word Processing" !!! So for nearly 3 months solid she transposed her typing and wrote down whatever else she could remember.

It is fascinating reading, not only because it is my family. We are now looking for a Publisher.
Is there a good selection of 'ordinary person's ' memoirs in Aus bookshops?
Old Jun 5th 2005, 4:07 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I live in Geraldton (450k's north of Perth) and can get it here in a few of the smaller local supermarkets, I haven't seen it in our coles or woolies.

Dewsons do it who I think are a WA company so there are no doubt some in Perth. IGA/Supavalu also do it. It is about $4 for a small jar.
Kala
Many thanks for the info
Old Jun 5th 2005, 12:34 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

Originally Posted by Rooksie
did you have to supply a letter from your parish priest in UK??

Lost ours en route so emailed him to fax one over-it was expected of us to have one! Off to get interviewed again to get no. 3 in next January. In our school the criteria doesn't give high priority to siblings, just commited Catholics, and ones who show there face at Church/school regularly!!

Phil x
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I had a look some years ago and there was a fair number of that genre of books but not nearly as many as from the UK and US of A.

Others who have done recent rounds of bookshops may have a more up to date idea.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Not particularly. But there are some

http://www.achievers-odds.com.au/top...afaceyfull.htm

was a best seller. HSC text too possibly.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
I don't get it. Why would anyone want to move to a place that they had never even visited before? Someone please enlighten me!
Purely because even if you visit a place sometimes you cannot realise what it is like to actually live there....and two, me personaly I just could not afford to come twice....
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

There are certainly some interesting ones around, especially about outback Australia. Most bookshops stock ones like "A Fortunate Life" by the guy Megs posted a link to, others may be harder to find, but they are still out there.

Secondhand bookstores are often an undiscovered gold mine for books about Australia, that's where I've gotten a few of my great Aussie books from (some no longer in print).
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread, my tip and apologies if somone has already mentioned it, is for those coming to Queensland. You adapt to the heat very fast here, so when you used to laugh when told it was cold here at 15-20 degrees and people were wearing jumpers and coats believe me after experiencing the summer you will experience the winter too so do pack your coats and your hot water bottles and blankets (just incase like us your rental has no heating).

Lori