5 weeks in

Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 weeks in

Hi All

We (5) have now been living on the Central Coast for 5 weeks. I haven't posted on here for some time, so I thought I would let you know how we have found the transition from UK to OZ. We left uk on 2nd May and arrived on 3rd. We were met by our rels who we stayed with on the first night. I had arranged a holiday let for us for 2 weeks on arrival. Our rels lent us a car which was a big help and we spent the first week rushing round getting kids into school and looking for a rental.

Not having a computer up and running is a big problem when you are in IT as most recruitment is done via the internet/agencies. We used our rels computer on a regular basis throwing off cv to various jobs but nothing compares to having time to thoroughly looking and tweaking to meet the needs. Having said that he has had a few responses and has a 2nd interview on Wed so fingers crossed.

We moved into our rental 2.5 weeks ago and it is nice big 5 bed villa but no pool (sigh). Our dog and cat came out of quarantine 2 weeks ago and are fine and have coped very well. Our cat is scared of outside so I was a really concerned with how she would cope. Our mut is a lurcher so thin by nature and I was worried about her losing too much weight but she was fine. The cat is very fat and I was looking forward to the new slim line version, but no she is still fat so obviously well looked after. We didn't visit but rang up every week. The lady looking after the mut said she didn't think it would be a good idea to visit unless we could do it regularly so we were guided by her. One concern after was that the dog shied away when we raised our hand and it worried us that she may have been smacked. Still not a lot we can do about it as no proof.

As I am typing this I am waiting for our container to pull up on our drive. I am very excited as tonight we get to sleep in a real bed not on the floor. Seemed to have gone fine so far, 2 pieces of furniture have to be fumigated as wood worm present, they are antiques so I am not surprised. Funny its the things that I thought would get pulled up that have flown through. Like hedge trimmer, shoes, tools things like that. $110 dollars to be done so not to bad, but we have to pick them up ourselves when ready. Our stuff left our house on 15th April and actually sailed on 18th. Arrived sydney on 29 May and today 7th June is our delivery day. We used PSS and found them very good.

On a personal level, I can honestly say that I have not been homesick once which has surprised me, I have had one moment when I missed my mum (dont look at globes and find england) and realised she was so far away, buy apart from that nothing. It feels like we have always lived here and if it wasn't for the different bird noises, beaches and the sun I could be living in England. Have found the Australians very friendly and have bent over backwards to help us. Kids have settled into school, Just hope hubby gets a job soon as money could be an issue later, we still have our property in england as the market was pants.

question though, how long does it take to stop converting, i constantly convert to pounds for a comparison.

Hope this helps

Jo

Oh and soapy if you read this, wish we had made the meet las weekend gutted didnt see it earlier will definately try next time.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 5 weeks in

Hi Jo

I hope your hubby has luck getting a job, it sounds promising if he is at the 2nd interview stage.

It sounds like things are going well for you. My hubby and I are also surprised we haven't been more homesick and that settling in has been relatively easy.

I hope things continue to go well for you all

Katie
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:05 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=joho]Hi All

I have been here almost 10 months and am now not really converting back, I can look at something and say well I can get a better deal down the mall sort of thing. On big purchases I might just to see what it would be but then I just half it as I think is probably fairer. I sometimes convert back for the rellies back in the UK, which is now the "UK" and not back home of which I have made a concerted effort when saying it to say the UK, I take Aus as being home not where I spent my first 30+ years, which I find a little odd sometimes.
I have never been home sick, in fact quite the opposite, I have embraced Aus as my new home and am loving every minute of it.

Jenny
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I still find myself calling the UK back home. I wonder when that will wear off.

Katie