Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELTS standards sham!

IELTS standards sham!

Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS standards sham!

Originally Posted by itxrd
Hmm they haven't passed. I was just being nice re. the 2nd part ;-)

Yeah you're right - most people that fail will think they have good english. If you fail though it can't be that good
Have you done the test?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Very childish comment. The driving theory test is definitely not relevant here.
Obviously it was a very childish comment. I was in a childish mood. And I was over 'listening' to someone complaining about a system just because their wife had failed to measure up to the points required. Normally I'd have walked away but as I said, I was in a childish nit picking mood.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 31st 2010 at 11:26 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Obviously it was a very childish comment. I was in a childish mood.
Perhaps, but it was rude and made you look quite silly in my opinion.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, but it was rude and made you look quite silly in my opinion.
So what's new? I often look silly as does everyone else on here at times, including yourself.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So what's new? I often look silly as does everyone else on here at times, including yourself.
I can excuse myself for looking silly now and then. No excuse for being rude though, is there?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

I can excuse myself for looking silly now and then. No excuse for being rude though, is there?
Rude? When?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

People who study english as its not their second language are better prepared to sit and pass an exam such as the IELTS. People who speak and write in English their wholes lives most likely pick up some bad habits with grammar, spelling, punctuation etc. It doesnt mean they are unemployable in Australia. They have 1 thing that many non native english speaking people have and thats non broken English.
You are joking right? Are you actually saying that somebody who has been learning English as a second language has an advantage over somebody who has English as a mother tongue.

It certainly pays to be prepared for the IELTS test but no matter what way I look at it, it is not difficult for a native to pass and most do.

If you can prove through your occupation and length of living in an english speaking country that you can speak fluent english, then an IELTS test should not be required. Even a simple interview would prove this. A pointless test is a waste of time and causes stress thats not needed. Especially when you may have to do it again due to forgetting a few apostrophes.
And how do they manage this for hundreds of thousands of applicants, without something like an IELTS test? A British passport does not prove English language skills, we travel freely within Europe, how does one prove the length of time one has been living in an English speaking country and more importantly who has to check all the paperwork?

Who would conduct these interviews that you mention? Isn't the speaking part of IELTS effectively doing this?

A test such as IELTS is the simplest way of managing this process. Anything such as you are suggesting would mean a lot more work for DIAC, slower processing and higher fees.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You are joking right? Are you actually saying that somebody who has been learning English as a second language has an advantage over somebody who has English as a mother tongue.

It certainly pays to be prepared for the IELTS test but no matter what way I look at it, it is not difficult for a native to pass and most do.

And how do they manage this for hundreds of thousands of applicants, without something like an IELTS test? A British passport does not prove English language skills, we travel freely within Europe, how does one prove the length of time one has been living in an English speaking country and more importantly who has to check all the paperwork?

Who would conduct these interviews that you mention? Isn't the speaking part of IELTS effectively doing this?

A test such as IELTS is the simplest way of managing this process. Anything such as you are suggesting would mean a lot more work for DIAC, slower processing and higher fees.
You seemed to conveniently half read my post. Someone who is studying english obviously has an advantage in doing an exam in it as thats what they have been preparing to do over the duration of their course. In fact, the IELTS is designed for them, not someone who speaks it natively. You say its not difficult for a native to pass this but actually, many dont. Not because they arent good at English but because they arent used to being tested on it. They havent needed to be for many years due to speaking it all their lives.

An interview could be conducted as a partial IELTS test. An interview is part of the test anyway but the other parts arent really required when you can determine that someone is fluent in English by speaking to them. Full price, whatever. I'd put it down as an additional cost to the visa. Its when you have to resit the bloody thing that it begins to frustrate and worry you. I know, I've been there.

No exam is easy when you feel your visa chances are depending on it. Dont be so dismissive of other peoples nerves.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Dont be so dismissive of other peoples nerves
But he never put the failure down to nerves. He put it down to IELTS being flawed and irrelevant to his 'English educated' wife.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
But he never put the failure down to nerves. He put it down to IELTS being flawed and irrelevant to his 'English educated' wife.
I wasnt talking about the OP. I was talking about when Bermuda Shorts said

'It certainly pays to be prepared for the IELTS test but no matter what way I look at it, it is not difficult for a native to pass and most do.'

If she looked at it in other ways, then she'd accept that nerves have a part to play in it.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Barnsley to Uxbridge to Southampton and eventually to Iluka....
Gert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really nice

I agree with you knockoff nige. Some people get a bit carried away. Its very easy to say things when you can't actually see the person you are talking to. I wonder if some of these comments would be made if people were talking face to face.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You seemed to conveniently half read my post. Someone who is studying english obviously has an advantage in doing an exam in it as thats what they have been preparing to do over the duration of their course. In fact, the IELTS is designed for them, not someone who speaks it natively. You say its not difficult for a native to pass this but actually, many dont. Not because they arent good at English but because they arent used to being tested on it. They havent needed to be for many years due to speaking it all their lives.

An interview could be conducted as a partial IELTS test. An interview is part of the test anyway but the other parts arent really required when you can determine that someone is fluent in English by speaking to them.
No I have not conveniently only read half your post, was there anything specific you think I have not read? I read all of it and you simply have not thought your suggested alternative through.

Do you have any evidence of all these native English speakers not passing the test. I have seen many on BE take the test and maybe one or two fail it. There is simply NO WAY that this test can be easier for a non native than a native. I take my hat off to the non natives doing it, but I am afraid I cannot see why any English person should be so nervous about being tested on being able to speak, read, listen and write in their mother tongue. Particularly as many will be professionals and will no doubt have years of exam taking behind them.

Full price, whatever. I'd put it down as an additional cost to the visa. Its when you have to resit the bloody thing that it begins to frustrate and worry you. I know, I've been there.

I don't see why the rest of us should have to pay higher fees and wait longer for a visa just because you cannot demonstrate basic competence in your mother tongue.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No I have not conveniently only read half your post, was there anything specific you think I have not read? I read all of it and you simply have not thought your suggested alternative through.

Do you have any evidence of all these native English speakers not passing the test. I have seen many on BE take the test and maybe one or two fail it. There is simply NO WAY that this test can be easier for a non native than a native. I take my hat off to the non natives doing it, but I am afraid I cannot see why any English person should be so nervous about being tested on being able to speak, read, listen and write in their mother tongue. Particularly as many will be professionals and will no doubt have years of exam taking behind them.

I don't see why the rest of us should have to pay higher fees and wait longer for a visa just because you cannot demonstrate basic competence in your mother tongue.
You're doing it again.

I never said that non native speakers would find it easier. I said they have an advantage when sitting a test on it as they are prepared for testing.

You have seen many on here pass their IELTS test. Lets say you have seen maybe 50 people on here pass their IELTS. Lets say you've seen a small handful not manage it. Those few make up many when you consider that thousands take this test every year.

When did you do the test and how did you find it?

I never suggested that DIAC have to do any other work on top of what they do. I suggested that the interview section be the only requirement for those claiming to be native english speakers. This would be marked by IELTS.

You really need to learn to read posts properly. You jumped to some conclusions there which, as many who sat the IELTS test will tell you, thats a big reason of failing the test when doing the reading section. However, I can see you're fluent in English. Its just your attention to detail that needs work.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I saw this thread's title and it triggered a flashback to when I took the IELTS exam back in 2006. I was living in Hong Kong and took it at the British Council. It was made up of three sections, listening (and writing), reading (and interpretation) and talking (in response to questions). My scores for the first two were great but I was surprised at getting a low score for the talking test.

I remember at the time how the examiner didn't seem to be smiling and didn't answer my knock on the door. I entered and after confirming my details she started the test without asking me to sit down. After a few questions I asked if I could be seated and she said I could if I wanted to

The test completed and I felt, at the time, that I had answered everything smoothly. The score was not a true reflection of my efforts so I telephoned to speak to the supervisor to complain. They checked the audio recording and agreed that the examiner was not fair in her marking and my score was elevated.

My point here is that IELTS may very well be a good system but it does need to be self-monitored to prevent the bad (hag) apples from ruining our hopes for a new life
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice
Default Re: IELTS machine rolls on

Originally Posted by pigwhocouldfly
But with needing 7.0 in each section I do feel this is where most people taking IELTS fail. I feel it should be judged on a overall score only, because as I have already stated a nurse could register with a 7.0 overall if he/she recieved a 7.0 in each section, but my OH still cant register with an 8.0 overall score.
I don't agree with you, sorry. English isn't my native language, I took IELTS academic module and I scored over 8 in all areas on my very first try. moreover, considering that the occupation is so important for information to be communicated as effectively as possible, I think it is sensible to ask for a high standard in the language required (this case being English).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.