Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Identity theft - beware!

Identity theft - beware!

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Identity theft - beware!

Hi

Not going to go into the details for obvious reasons but my husband has been contacted by the UK police regarding ID theft, leaving us with all sorts of issues in the UK.

The reason I'm putting this on here is that my OH and three other people who all had their IDs used to set up bogus companies have all emigrated to Oz in the last 18 months. The police think we were all targeted as being out of the country made it much easier to set up fake business etc. Be very careful who you are giving out information to, I think of all the emigration shows we went to and blindly gave our details to all and sundry. Of course, that may not be how they got the info but as all the people involved in this have moved to Oz, there has to be some link somewhere.

Also be very careful about post and redirection etc, I know that we forgot to inform some companies of our change of address and although we had redirection in place, I know from previous experiences that Royal Mail don't always get it right, so some post may not have reached us correctly either.

Sam
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identity theft - beware!

Sorry that you have had this problem & hope you get it all sorted out.
Thanks for the warning!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:58 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I agree with the royal mail!! We set up redirection and after 3 weeks of no mail, i phoned to find that they didn't have any stickers so had just put it all to my old address!!! To top it off, the people renting my house took it upon themselves to open my mail and then order from catalogues in MY NAME!!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:47 pm
Banned

LanceMorgan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kar-kier
To top it off, the people renting my house took it upon themselves to open my mail and then order from catalogues in MY NAME!!!!!
Unreal - what are the odds on that ?

Now that would be one justifiable reason not to return their bond
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I agree with the royal mail!! We set up redirection and after 3 weeks of no mail, i phoned to find that they didn't have any stickers so had just put it all to my old address!!! To top it off, the people renting my house took it upon themselves to open my mail and then order from catalogues in MY NAME!!!!!
Is against the law to open someone elses mail, you should have contacted UK police, how did you find out?
Amazes me the cheek of some people
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Is against the law to open someone elses mail, you should have contacted UK police, how did you find out?
Amazes me the cheek of some people
Well . . . it was just before we left the UK, and we had them mail forwarded to my aunts house. A box of christmas crackers arrived at my aunts house (forwarded through royal mail), addressed to me, from the Studio Catalogue. I knew i hadn't ordered it, so i contacted Studio to find that they had ordered £200 worth of stuff, but it had all been delivered by courior, only the crackers got delivered by post! Anyway, the fraud squad looked into it, but never took at any further - think that was due to the fact we left the country! The people have now left the house with a mountain of work needing done, and a bond that won't cover it all!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

A friend who rented his house out whilst doing a world trip had someone open up a credit card in his name, fortunately he could prove he was in deepest Malaysian or somewhere when it was set up!

You've got to be careful!