Identity Theft

Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:11 am
tennisoz

Default Identity Theft

Some gutless bastard just made a post in a thread using my name. I suppose it is a case of correctly guessing my password and logging on. As a result I am going to re-register under a different name and with a less transparent password. So if anyone else purports to be TennisOz from now on you will know they are the aforementioned gutless bastard.

Last post as TennisOz

Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:16 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that is a real shame and scarey too, can't the moderator locate who may have done this through an IP address.

Can't you change your password and keep your username?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identity Theft

Originally posted by tennisoz
Some gutless bastard just made a post in a thread using my name. I suppose it is a case of correctly guessing my password and logging on. As a result I am going to re-register under a different name and with a less transparent password. So if anyone else purports to be TennisOz from now on you will know they are the aforementioned gutless bastard.

Last post as TennisOz
Tennis, one other idea might be to delete the said posts as well. I couldnt believe it when I read them, they were certainly out of character. I have a pretty good hunch who it may have been, its not hard to work out, especially when you add the attack on Billy in.

Gutless is the word .
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:20 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Wow, that is a real shame and scarey too, can't the moderator locate who may have done this through an IP address.

Can't you change your password and keep your username?
Actually Donna is right about the moderators being able to tell who it is, they log the IPs.

Not sure if you can change passwords, but I imagine so in the profile section.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:23 am
Good to be back in UK

I think you can change passwords, this is really awful. I knwo sometimes things can get a bit heated on the forum, but to make such attacks and to violate TennisOz in such a way is particularly terrible.

I don't know people on the forum that well, and can't think of who could be so malicious.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:34 am
Good to be back in UK

The other thing I just thought of is that someone could have had access to your profile for sometime and could have been reading your PM's etc, this is a definate breach of privacy and I would like the moderator to post a reply on this matter.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Tennis, one other idea might be to delete the said posts as well. I couldnt believe it when I read them, they were certainly out of character. I have a pretty good hunch who it may have been, its not hard to work out, especially when you add the attack on Billy in.

Gutless is the word .
On second thought, dont delete the posts, otherwise the mods wont be able to check the IP. But as suggested in the other thread, log in & change your password.

Donna, its about as low as you can get IMO. That is just plain nasty. I contacted one of the moderators about it. Hopefully they can do something.

Poor TennisOz
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:42 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by Jirrupin
The other thing I just thought of is that someone could have had access to your profile for sometime and could have been reading your PM's etc, this is a definate breach of privacy and I would like the moderator to post a reply on this matter.
Thanks everyone for the replies and the justifiable concern. I have reported the errant 'Gay Australia' post to the moderator and await his/her advice.

The real TennisOz

P.S. the other scary thing is that I was just reading an article on Identity Theft in the Sunday Times and how people have had their bank accounts cleaned out! Shred everything before putting in the rubbish and if a bank statement doesn't arrive on time (cos some thief has sent a change of address form to your bank purporting to be you) report it straight away was the advice.

P.P.S. I am still angry thinking how low someone can stoop

Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:05 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by tennisoz
the other scary thing is that I was just reading an article on Identity Theft in the Sunday Times and how people have had their bank accounts cleaned out! Shred everything before putting in the rubbish and if a bank statement doesn't arrive on time (cos some thief has sent a change of address form to your bank purporting to be you) report it straight away was the advice.

P.P.S. I am still angry thinking how low someone can stoop
what a weird co-incidence, it sounds as though you may have fallen into the 'twilight zone' :scared:
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:09 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like that thread doesn't appear anymore?

so mods must be on to it?

I hope they put it back minus your imposter - it was quite an interesting thread...
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:10 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

whatever happens mate dont stop posting because of some gutless wonder-your posts have contributed greatly to forum and it people like you thats needed not some idiot thinking they are funny

keep going - just change p/w etc

Seang
Old Nov 10th 2003, 12:45 pm
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i was sorry to read that, although i must say i read that thread about gay australia and thought that can't be true, i was going to write a really angry answer, but then what can you say to people like that. i am glad it was not you, as i thought most of your posts were interesting so far and i could not imagine how someone could be so ....(don't even know an english word for that)!

hope it works out with changing password
barbara
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys and gals. I have as you will see changed my username to OzTennis. The gutless bastard who made the errant posts also changed the password before I got there so I have had to re-register under a different username and would you believe a new email address (because the previous one is already 'taken' by the GB because I couldn't guess his/her new password - gutlessbastard didn't work).

OzTennis
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:15 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

now how can we be sure its you

Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seang
now how can we be sure its you

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. Seriously though most regulars know the tone of my posts by now and if the GB posts you'll pick it up by the out of character nature (or the spelling/grammatical mistakes).

OzTennis

Seriously weird stuff the more you think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.