Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ideas what to do with the car ?

ideas what to do with the car ?

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:58 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default ideas what to do with the car ?

well i need the car to get work and back til the 3rd of march but that only leaves me with 6 days to get rid of it, so the dilemma is do i sell it before hand and rent a car or do i keep mine and try and sell it nearer the date.

some of the quotes for car hire are up in the 450/500 mark so would appreciate what others have done in the past.

or a good rental firm with good rates lol

ATB andy

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:50 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ideas what to do with the car ?

Originally Posted by woody1974
well i need the car to get work and back til the 3rd of march but that only leaves me with 6 days to get rid of it, so the dilemma is do i sell it before hand and rent a car or do i keep mine and try and sell it nearer the date.

some of the quotes for car hire are up in the 450/500 mark so would appreciate what others have done in the past.

ATB andy

Ours is an old banger so hoping it will hold out. I would sell and rent if we had a more decent car.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

try www.1car1.com I recently hired a car with them and they were very good. There quote includes everything so no hidden extras which many hire companies leave as a surprise until you go to pay the bill.

If you start advertising your car sooner you may find you dont sell it until later anyway. I started advertising my car at 3 to 4 weeks before moving and I ended up selling it on the last day before I flew out. However if you should end up selling it quicker why dont you keep the insurance going and add the hire car to it, to save taking out hire company insurance. (not sure if thats possible.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:11 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

if not too old try a dealer and what they will give you selling on the day to suit you - ok will get less than if you sold privately, but when you take account of car hire costs & less hassle factor it may be worth doing.

Whatever you do try avoid geting into any accidents - I experience how much of a pain that is.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:15 pm
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Keep your car, then two days before you go take it to a deserted field and burn it out. Claim on the insurance as joyriders nicked your car then burnt it?

Only kididing. I know thats fraud.

I'd sell it as soon as possible and rent. Luckily I drive a company car so dont have to worry about that.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:24 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: ideas what to do with the car ?

ATB andy

Do what my brother-in-law's both did and sell it asap if it is decent and but a heap of shite with a bit of tax left on it to get around in for a the remainder of the time its needed. Then when ready to go just give it to someone or take it up the tip!

R.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 4:47 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

ATB andy

We need ours too as we're driving up to Scotland to say all the goodbyes before we fly out. We,re staying with hubbys parents and my father in law is going to sell it for us and then send us the cash.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:12 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
try www.1car1.com I recently hired a car with them and they were very good. There quote includes everything so no hidden extras which many hire companies leave as a surprise until you go to pay the bill.

If you start advertising your car sooner you may find you dont sell it until later anyway. I started advertising my car at 3 to 4 weeks before moving and I ended up selling it on the last day before I flew out. However if you should end up selling it quicker why dont you keep the insurance going and add the hire car to it, to save taking out hire company insurance. (not sure if thats possible.
I think that maybe breaking the law. 2 people can't insure tha same car.

Are easy hire still doing £10.00 a day hire. Make sure you check the car when you pick it up and get one of their staff to check it back in as they have a habitof keeping your deposit
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Hi Andy.

I am going to leave the car paperwork here in the u.k and let my Dad sell it for me. Not everyone has that option - cheers James.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If you sell it privately, don't let on that you're leaving the UK in XXX days - they know that you are desperate to sell then!

We were lucky since I sold to a friend - he let us keep it until the day we left - and then drove us to LHR in it!
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I think that maybe breaking the law. 2 people can't insure tha same car.

Are easy hire still doing £10.00 a day hire. Make sure you check the car when you pick it up and get one of their staff to check it back in as they have a habitof keeping your deposit
You dont have to take the hire companies insurance, if you can prove the car is already insured. Most of the cost of a hire car is the Insurance, so if you can add the car to your insurance it would cut this. Having said that I'm wondering if you can insure a car that doesnt belong to you, its worth a call to your insurance company at least.

You may be surprised how long the car will take to sell anyway, if it were me I would advertise it at least a month before, as I said I did that and the interest was very quiet until about 3 weeks in then at the weekend before I left I had 3 people wanting to buy it.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:02 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
You dont have to take the hire companies insurance, if you can prove the car is already insured. Most of the cost of a hire car is the Insurance, so if you can add the car to your insurance it would cut this. Having said that I'm wondering if you can insure a car that doesnt belong to you, its worth a call to your insurance company at least.

You may be surprised how long the car will take to sell anyway, if it were me I would advertise it at least a month before, as I said I did that and the interest was very quiet until about 3 weeks in then at the weekend before I left I had 3 people wanting to buy it.
Hi Lisa, what I meant is that if he sells the car he has to tell the insurance company, so he would have to cancel the insurance, on the other hand if he did not inform the insurance company and he had to put in a clam for the hire hire car it would not be valid. Hope that makes more sense?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

We sold it on Ebay but told the buyer in the auction, the day to collect it. It worked really well. I know people say it is dodgy selling the car on Ebay but if you are careful and make sure you cancel bids if they have no feedback then you will be fine.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
Do what my brother-in-law's both did and sell it asap if it is decent and but a heap of shite with a bit of tax left on it to get around in for a the remainder of the time its needed. Then when ready to go just give it to someone or take it up the tip!

R.
Or drive it to the airport & leave it in the carpark. I know tat's been done a few times.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:02 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Or drive it to the airport & leave it in the carpark. I know tat's been done a few times.

well now thats an option lol buy an old bange and leave it at the airport lol, thanks all for the feed back and will try 1car1 did manage to find a place to hire a fiesta for 20 days at a cost of 319 which was the cheapest i found yesterday.

thanks all

andy

p.s may see some of you in perth wooohhoooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.