Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Iceburg Lettuce!!!

Wikiposts

Iceburg Lettuce!!!

Old May 20th 2004, 2:56 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
I should point out that the cane toads involved are bred especially for the purpose, kept in free-range conditions and fed a specially-formulated diet to keep their skins healthy and shiny. So please, no reporting us to the ASPCCT.

Oh dear I think I must be OD-ing. Is this a fresh batch of toad?

Mark
Do they come in just the one flavour? Or assorted?
Old May 20th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yes, we often have a nice evening in, watching DVDs of old episodes of 'Yes Minister', drinking Victorian merlot & licking cane toads.

Can't beat it.....

Anya (MMW's other half)
So that's where you're getting your inspiration from!
Old May 20th 2004, 3:05 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I know absolutely nothing about lettuce - can't stand the stuff, prefer raw cabbage. Oh and before I get to my point have you seen the size of swede over here - bloody tiny and expensive!

But back to the point I want to make - there is absolutely no point licking cane toads....there are no side effects apart from a gammy tongue and a few dozen gritty bits if the toad has been somewhere shitty recently!

(I want that barf smilie someone had recently??? - lick cane toad, big barf :scared: )

Cheers Sandra
Old May 20th 2004, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know that Sandra? Did froggie not turn into a handsome prince either?
Old May 20th 2004, 4:41 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
How do you know that Sandra? Did froggie not turn into a handsome prince either?
Australian Reptile Park, nr Gosford, north of Sydney - excellent day out for all ages. They do a talk/live show on all the nasties including spiders and snakes. Very much like a Blue Peter show and tell but with loads of examples (then they get the kids to walk round with them).

Anyway the demonstrator got out a cane toad and did the whole info bit about how they where introduced (not natural) to Aus, orginal numbers 70 pairs? (I think that was the figure, or it was 35 pairs, total 70) and now they are in their millions. Anyway she licked the thing and was laughing about that little urban myth!

This is the same centre that milks sydney funnel webs for their venom so they can produce antivenom down in melbourne. Excellent place and very very informative - they give out information sheets and great advice to kids!

Cheers Sandra

PS. I married my frog and he treats me as a princess!
Old May 20th 2004, 12:10 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Sandra
I know absolutely nothing about lettuce - can't stand the stuff, prefer raw cabbage. Oh and before I get to my point have you seen the size of swede over here - bloody tiny and expensive!
But in compensation the cabbages are enormous. Also the cauliflowers. (Although neither are cheap.)

It's nice to know I'm not the only fan of cabbage round here!

Mark
Old May 20th 2004, 12:15 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by artep
Do they come in just the one flavour? Or assorted?
Young toads remind me of gooseberry with overtones of citrus and kiwifruit. More mature specimens develop an aroma of pineapple although can also have cranberry notes if fed on the correct diet. Old toads degrade towards urine and are to be avoided at all costs.

Why is the sky turning yellow and purple?! Aaaargh...
Old May 20th 2004, 7:51 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by Sandra
... have you seen the size of swede over here - bloody tiny and expensive!
I hadn't, so I went and looked in Safeway. Picked the largest and weighed it at 0.6 kg. They were priced at $2.98 / kg = about 53p / lb. Much the same size and price as in the UK, I think, if not a little cheaper.
Old May 20th 2004, 9:55 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Young toads remind me of gooseberry with overtones of citrus and kiwifruit. More mature specimens develop an aroma of pineapple although can also have cranberry notes if fed on the correct diet. Old toads degrade towards urine and are to be avoided at all costs.

Why is the sky turning yellow and purple?! Aaaargh...
Whats your name?? Jilly Goulden??
Old May 21st 2004, 1:15 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
As a frog, I think I should immediately take exception to your irreverent mention of my genus. To be a frog is a noble vocation, and nothing at all like being a horrible cane toad! Obviously, noone who kissed a cane toad would turn into anything remotely resembling royalty. Who'd want them to anyway? I kissed my husband and he turned straight from a handsome prince (OK, computer nerd) into a dormouse! and now spends most of his life asleep in a teapot.

No, don't ask.
Old May 21st 2004, 1:24 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by artep
Whats your name?? Jilly Goulden??
My twin sister! Cheers (hic).