Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Iceburg Lettuce!!!

Wikiposts

Iceburg Lettuce!!!

Old May 18th 2004, 11:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
how about growing your own ????????????

$
now you know thats only leagal in S/A:lecture:

Saves drying banana skins though YUK!
Old May 19th 2004, 12:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The trick with banana skins is to dry them in front of the fire, then scrape off the coating, add it to those little roll-up cigarettes, and then talk gibberish all night.....or so I'm told, by a load of bikers I used to know, never tried it myself of course.....

The lettuce at 9 cents is REAL, Mrs D can vouch for it, she knows the farm where we saw the sign.....out Toowoomba way (west of Brissie), you see these huge billboards in fields. "Jesus Saves"....." Praise the Lord"....."God is with you"....."Lettuce 9 cents each"....surreal but true :scared:
Old May 19th 2004, 6:30 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]The lettuce at 9 cents is REAL, Mrs D can vouch for it, she knows the farm where we saw the sign.....out Toowoomba way (west of Brissie), you see these huge billboards in fields. "Jesus Saves"....." Praise the Lord"....."God is with you"....."Lettuce 9 cents each"....surreal but true :scared:
Maybe this means that lettuces are only 9c each in paradise?
Old May 19th 2004, 6:38 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
The trick with banana skins is to dry them in front of the fire, then scrape off the coating, add it to those little roll-up cigarettes, and then talk gibberish all night.....or so I'm told, by a load of bikers I used to know, never tried it myself of course.....
If you live in Queensland you could try licking cane toads to get high. Nothing like lettuce of course - they tend to wriggle for a start - but at least they're green... of course I do not endorse the use of toads for drug purposes, as I am against cruelty to animals. Mind you, cane toads aren't even 9c, you can get them for free!
Old May 19th 2004, 9:08 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by treefrog
If you live in Queensland you could try licking cane toads to get high.
Right stand back...I'm gonna puke
Old May 19th 2004, 9:14 am
WBB

The lettuce at 9 cents is REAL, Mrs D can vouch for it, she knows the farm where we saw the sign.....out Toowoomba way (west of Brissie), you see these huge billboards in fields. "Jesus Saves"....." Praise the Lord"....."God is with you"....."Lettuce 9 cents each"....surreal but true :scared:
i too have seen these signs, on the warrego highway around gatton way!!!

thought they were a bit odd.

Old May 19th 2004, 8:57 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by treefrog
If you live in Queensland you could try licking cane toads to get high... of course I do not endorse the use of toads for drug purposes, as I am against cruelty to animals.
Who says licking toads is cruel? Maybe they enjoy it too. Maybe they only wriggle because it tickles.

Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 9:39 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Who says licking toads is cruel? Maybe they enjoy it too. Maybe they only wriggle because it tickles.

Mark
Does your other half know about your fetish for licking toads?
Old May 19th 2004, 9:58 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

$2.99 for a tray of 8 seedlings (still doesnt beat polly's price) or $4.35 for a packet of seeds.

Hiya Maria & Chris,

my wife has the green fingers in our family, I';m sure she will be growing things when we are in Oz. She likes her fruit & veg "fresh." Apparently they taste much better.

Thgink of all that lovely sun you can use to grow big sttrong plants with

Bye
Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 10:04 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

$2.99 for a tray of 8 seedlings (still doesnt beat polly's price) or $4.35 for a packet of seeds.
was thinking that myself ... and I do mean lettuce
Old May 19th 2004, 10:37 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya Maria & Chris,

my wife has the green fingers in our family, I';m sure she will be growing things when we are in Oz. She likes her fruit & veg "fresh." Apparently they taste much better.

Thgink of all that lovely sun you can use to grow big sttrong plants with

Bye
Mark

Yeah, and the beauty of the OZ climate is how easily you can grow all the "exotics". We've only been in our house for 2 weeks and already I've planted chilli, lemongrass, bok choi & mizuna as well as the more usual stuff that I used to grow back in Northern Germany.

Some of the options of seed here are fantastic. I'm like a kid in sweet shop, but Chris has limited my spending each week so I have a few more weeks to go to get everything on my veggie / salad wish list.

Also have my eye on a fantastic Kaffir Lime tree that I saw at our local garden centre this week, as well as a lovely ornamental chilli, and a great packet of Australian wildflower seeds I'll definately need to get a job come the springtime to be able to afford all the plants I want.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, and the beauty of the OZ climate is how easily you can grow all the "exotics". We've only been in our house for 2 weeks and already I've planted chilli, lemongrass, bok choi & mizuna as well as the more usual stuff that I used to grow back in Northern Germany.

Some of the options of seed here are fantastic. I'm like a kid in sweet shop, but Chris has limited my spending each week so I have a few more weeks to go to get everything on my veggie / salad wish list.

Also have my eye on a fantastic Kaffir Lime tree that I saw at our local garden centre this week, as well as a lovely ornamental chilli, and a great packet of Australian wildflower seeds I'll definately need to get a job come the springtime to be able to afford all the plants I want.
Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be only looking at units....
Not that I'm a gardening type, but a veggie garden would be great!

P.S. Did you get my email?(I emailed cos I couldn't log on here easilily to pm back.)
Oh, and UWA did get my email!! I rang them, and I am 'in the system'!!
Old May 19th 2004, 11:18 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by artep
Does your other half know about your fetish for licking toads?
Yes, we often have a nice evening in, watching DVDs of old episodes of 'Yes Minister', drinking Victorian merlot & licking cane toads.

Can't beat it.....

Anya (MMW's other half)
Old May 19th 2004, 11:38 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yes, we often have a nice evening in, watching DVDs of old episodes of 'Yes Minister', drinking Victorian merlot & licking cane toads.

Can't beat it.....

Anya (MMW's other half)
I should point out that the cane toads involved are bred especially for the purpose, kept in free-range conditions and fed a specially-formulated diet to keep their skins healthy and shiny. So please, no reporting us to the ASPCCT.

Oh dear I think I must be OD-ing. Is this a fresh batch of toad?

Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

The lettuce at 9 cents is REAL
So does this mean we should now refer to Oz as 'the land of Milk, Honey and Lettuce'?

Russ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.