Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I wish I had known or wish I had taken

I wish I had known or wish I had taken

Old May 30th 2006, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice
Default Re: I wish I had known or wish I had taken

Originally Posted by andicee
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that ship has gone down :scared:
I wish. At least we could claim from the insurance.

It has been sat with customs since before Easter, but apparently they have 'IT problems' and can't print release letters.

I've been tempted to break in and 'liberate' the stuff myself.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Bring everything, its just easier that way! We originally came for 2 years so virtually packed as if we were coming on holiday - then not surprising that we had to spend a fortune on things we already had in storage
I also agree with a previous post - bring your warm clothes. It certainly gets very cold in Melbourne and you'll need all your coats!
Old May 30th 2006, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

I wish I had bought my lovely french connection coat, didnt think I would need it and now I freeze my bits off in the morning waiting for the bus and I havent found there to be as much choice in coats over here. Obviously you dont need a coat for anywhere near as long over here but It would be nice in the morning.
Old May 30th 2006, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

one of those all year round quilts (dooner) you know the ones that popper together to make a thick one in winter and then pull aprt and one half is summer amd the other spring as we are finding that it to warm for a winter quilt but to cold for just sheets and we found you don't get much change out of $120 for a half decent one here !!

and garden tools, we left ours as we could not be bother with all the worry off the cleaning dirt .

I'm sure I will think of more so i'll post again
Old May 30th 2006, 6:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
one of those all year round quilts (dooner) you know the ones that popper together to make a thick one in winter and then pull aprt and one half is summer amd the other spring as we are finding that it to warm for a winter quilt but to cold for just sheets and we found you don't get much change out of $120 for a half decent one here !!
Just sheets :scared: We put our lightweight doonas on ages ago and I changed mine for the thicker one last night - it was luverly and cosy. Would have put the two together but thought i would save that for July/August
Old May 30th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

The shops have loads of fleece sheets here, I think they are needed. Its getting colder. Have alot of electric blankets here too, so if you have one bring it and heaters.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Forget him then LOL
(sorry)
J x
Don't be sorry, I've considered it on many occasions but, unfortunately, he is the main applicant
Old May 30th 2006, 8:52 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I wonder when I get there if there is something that I wish I had taken with me or had known which would have saved a bit of grief.

What is the most important thing to know before I get there and what should be an essential to take?
Bring the lot, everything. Things I wish I brought and I didn't:

My 2 electric fires.

My full length winter coat.

All my woolly jumpers.

My lovely blue sofa, I gave it to a mate which meant I had to buy a new one when I got out here as we have 3 living areas.

What you need to remember is that generally Oz houses have more living areas and they have to be filled with something.

Oh and it gets frigging cold on a night time.
Old May 30th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hangers - left loads behind and have to buy new here - they don't give them away when you buy clothes.

Bedding - we have a super-king size and can't get the same size over here. I'm told the single and double are different too but haven't had to buy any yet.

Fruit gums and real cadbury's chocolate.

I can't think of anything I brought but should have left.
Old May 30th 2006, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by a friend they had a box of chocolates they had brought for friends in Aussie taken away from them by customs on arrival.

Originally Posted by flip
Hangers - left loads behind and have to buy new here - they don't give them away when you buy clothes.

Bedding - we have a super-king size and can't get the same size over here. I'm told the single and double are different too but haven't had to buy any yet.

Fruit gums and real cadbury's chocolate.

I can't think of anything I brought but should have left.
Old May 30th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luma
I was told by a friend they had a box of chocolates they had brought for friends in Aussie taken away from them by customs on arrival.
If you declare them (I declared my bulging chocolate filled travel bag) then they usually let you through. It's only not declaring things or trying to bring through prohibited stuff like soil and vegetation, dairy, natural decorations like beads or wood or shells that'll normally get confiscated.

The something to declare queue is also usually much quicker.

Have fun.
Old May 30th 2006, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolates and sweets brought in still in their wrappers are fine - brought in some boxes of choccies for some very very nice people who put me up when I validated. There was no problem, but a bag of fruit pastilles that were open were taken from me - didn't mind, there was only lime ones left
Old May 30th 2006, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby

and garden tools, we left ours as we could not be bother with all the worry off the cleaning dirt .

I'm sure I will think of more so i'll post again
And people thought I was mad having DUVET on my UK shopping list last year! Brought a lovely thick one back as hand luggage
Old May 30th 2006, 9:32 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and if you're coming to Perth don't forget to bring your tumble dryer, some people dry their children in them, or other peoples children in this case.

http://www.skynews.com.au/story.asp?id=111138
Old May 30th 2006, 10:22 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walla
Oh and if you're coming to Perth don't forget to bring your tumble dryer, some people dry their children in them, or other peoples children in this case.

http://www.skynews.com.au/story.asp?id=111138

What a complete evil bastard. I hope he rots in hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.