Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Was Warned, I've Hit "The Wall"

I Was Warned, I've Hit "The Wall"

Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:12 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy I Was Warned, I've Hit "The Wall"

A friend warned me this would happen. We've got the house, the cars, the girls are settled in school and kindy and OH is back at work full time.

Where does that leave me? Standing at the school surrounded by just about the most unfriendly bunch of clicky Mum's you're ever gonna meet, I can't even get a hello out of most of them let along strike up a conversation!!!!!!!!!!

There's loads of expats I want to get together with but I've honestly just not had the time what with geting the kids and house settled. Hopefully after the school hols I can start getting out a bit more and meet some of you.

Must try harder but it's getting difficult. I can't call OH at work as it's frowned upon where he is so the days are looooonnnnngggggggg. Was happy yesterday when I found a UK OK mag for sale so got a large coffee and indulged myself.

I think this is also the first time I'm really starting to miss home. One of my best friends got married at the weekend so I missed that and my parents are on hols so I can't even call my mum

Feeling pretty sorry for myself today too as OH has a business trip to Sydney which is my No1 fave place in the entire world lol.

It's the Melbourne Show this week and we're planning on going on Sat. Is anyone else going? Can't wait to see what it's all about and have some fun.

Gill
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:16 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Was Warned, I've Hit "The Wall"

Originally Posted by herrchook
A friend warned me this would happen. We've got the house, the cars, the girls are settled in school and kindy and OH is back at work full time.

Where does that leave me? Standing at the school surrounded by just about the most unfriendly bunch of clicky Mum's you're ever gonna meet, I can't even get a hello out of most of them let along strike up a conversation!!!!!!!!!!

There's loads of expats I want to get together with but I've honestly just not had the time what with geting the kids and house settled. Hopefully after the school hols I can start getting out a bit more and meet some of you.

Must try harder but it's getting difficult. I can't call OH at work as it's frowned upon where he is so the days are looooonnnnngggggggg. Was happy yesterday when I found a UK OK mag for sale so got a large coffee and indulged myself.

I think this is also the first time I'm really starting to miss home. One of my best friends got married at the weekend so I missed that and my parents are on hols so I can't even call my mum

Feeling pretty sorry for myself today too as OH has a business trip to Sydney which is my No1 fave place in the entire world lol.

It's the Melbourne Show this week and we're planning on going on Sat. Is anyone else going? Can't wait to see what it's all about and have some fun.

Gill
Aaaahhhhh darling don't be lonely, you have us here

((((((( hugs)))))))

I am sure you will meet some ' real ' friends soon.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:19 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
Aaaahhhhh darling don't be lonely, you have us here

((((((( hugs)))))))

I am sure you will meet some ' real ' friends soon.
Cheers Issie, thank god for BE. . I'm hoping to get togerther with Margaret next week and I've been trying to get the time to get together with a few others but with little kds it's just so hard to find the time.

I know I'll get there, just having a wobbly week.

How are you? Is the house sale all settled again?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:24 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Issie, thank god for BE. . I'm hoping to get togerther with Margaret next week and I've been trying to get the time to get together with a few others but with little kds it's just so hard to find the time.

I know I'll get there, just having a wobbly week.

How are you? Is the house sale all settled again?
Oh Gill ........The house has been a pain in the bum, it's been going fine, then it was off and then on again and now we are not sure Need to speak with EA again tomorrow !

I am sure it must be so hard love......and you know you just have to ride through it. Keep your self hydrated with wine most nights and get on BE as much as you can, we will see you through it.

I am suprised how clicky the Mums are though. Is there no one that you could latch on to ?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:42 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gill,

Its a shame we are a plane ride away or we could have met with our girls and took them to play like back in Scotland I'm sure you'll meet some peeps soon.

Have you tried the local playgroups? I took Azaria along to a few till I found one where the mums are really lovely (both expats and ozzies). We meet for coffee and go to the beach most days with somebody. We also met people through Ethans football team so maybe try some local dance groups I know your girls used to go, or maybe gymnastics.

Hope you find your feet soon. I have been lucky no homesickness but then my family lived in another country when I was back home anyway.

hugs Axx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:45 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

You will get there....you have spent so much time getting everybody else organised and had so much to do youve forgotten about yourself. Now everyone else is sorted your left on yer tod. Its murder having nobody to talk to, and an even bigger pain in the arse when OH's get a business trip away(mines been all over, the sod) so you dont even have anybody to chat with at night. It gets easier....you will find the time to meet up with people...the clicky mums hmmmmmm not come accross that one...but soon your kids will make friends and want to go to their houses etc...thats where we have made most of our lasting friendships...through our kids. It all takes time......everything is still alien, but one day you will sit back and look at everything you have and go WTF was I worrying about. If u fancy a gab on here give me a shout and I will send my msn addy.

Take Care

H
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

gill we're going to the melbourne show this weekend, wanna meet, will phone you later today.

p.s finally plucked up the courage to resign, wooooooooohoooooooo, so will be ave alot more free time, will be working agencey (ok i plucked up the courage when boss was on holiday)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Gill
Trouble is see Gill, you have been so blinkin busy for yonks that you are at a loose end now lol!!!

Your children will make friends at school and you'll soon be having coffee mornings with their Mums etc - dont fret you will be alright girl!!!

The sun will shine on Melbourne very soon and it will get warmer and wamer and warmer - enjoy what is now at your fingertips! You lucky so and so, you are gonna being seeing MUSE soon - not that I'm jealous or anything la de da!
They will be just FAB!!!!

Take care
Gill
:-)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Have sent you a pm ...

Ruth
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, I sympathise - I know exactly how you are feeling because I am feeling about the same at the moment. I've got plenty to do but I just feel lonely all the time until my husband comes home from work. Luckily, I remember feeling exactly the same a few weeks after we arrived in America, and I know it will pass, so it's not phasing me too much this time.

I know how easy it is filling your days with things you 'have to' do, especially when you have just moved, but I do think it helps to just put some of them aside and make time for doing things that will help you meet a few people. Sadly, this is one of those occasions when sometimes you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit for a better end result.

Are you planning to work? If you are then I'd suggest starting to look sooner rather than later, and if you're not have you considered volunteering for a couple of hours a week? That's something that you could fit around your schedule with the girls etc.

If it makes you feel any better it's raining and grey in Sydney right now, so you're not missing out on much (that's not helping my mood!)

Keep your chin up, it'll get better soon
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:45 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

gill is it poss to help out at school, hugh done that when he wasnt working, was helping the kids at PE
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough

Aww Gill,

Big hugs to you. I know exactly how you are feeling as that was me just a short time ago!! Accept every invitation for coffee and be brave and invite some of the mums at school to yours for coffee - break into that clique

I don't mind coming into the city to meet you (as it is the school holidays) just let me know. And I can definetely say that this will pass as I feel much more positive about things now.

See if you'd moved to Berwick I would be giving you these words of wisdom in person

Take care,

Karenxx
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way to get in at the school is to help out. I work in the canteen one day a week (unpaid, it's voluntary) and have met loads of other mums.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:14 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

It's great idea to get in there and help out, we help out in my son's class and it's great way to mix with the other mums, chin up!

It's hard especially when they are in a click, jump in there! Even if they look at you as if you have got two heads, you will meet someone who is your cup of tea soon! It turns out too that the person you end up with is the most unlikeliest of all sometimes!

Do you have a class contact or anything? Organise a mum's coffee t the local shops, put a flyer out! It's not desparate measures it's sociable! You'll probably find that some mums haven't even met eachother!

I got speaking to a woman in bunnings of all places! I ended up asking her for her number, something I wouldn't do normally!

Best of luck

Carmel
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:18 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

What about joining a gym too? Just a thought
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.