Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i want to go but wife does'nt !!

i want to go but wife does'nt !!

Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

coopes will become famous soon enoughcoopes will become famous soon enough
Default i want to go but wife does'nt !!

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while now and I've always wanted to go but reading this forum has really provoked my desire to go to aus more than ever......... however, my wife does'nt want to. The only thing holding her back is her parents which she does'nt want to leave.

I'm 33 she is 30 and we have a 2 year old daughter, we live on the Isle of Wight and compared to most have a reasonable way of life but I feel this would vastly improve if we lived in aus. Dont get me wrong, our financial situation would roughly be the same although our house would be much better along with the climate and outdoor living in general.

Any advice regarding your experiences to gently persuade her ??

Only other option is to tie her up, gag her and pop her into the suitcase !!!
(I need her to get in as she is a teacher !!)

thanks in advance
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:01 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: i want to go but wife does'nt !!

Can you just ask her to try it for a few months first. Then take it from there. It's a big decision for sure.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

has she been ther on holiday yet? we have friends who have this type of problem, he's always wanted to go and doesnt really have any family ties (as in he doesnt speak to them) however his wife on the other hand is extremely close to her family and even though she is, she is also willing to go out there for a month on hols next year to see if she likes it! i know a month is not long enough to decide the rest of your life on, but in my experience it made moving out lock stock a little easier cause i knew a little of what to expect, anyhow i dont know your wife or you so can only give you minimal advise im sorry, but good luck
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Can you just ask her to try it for a few months first. Then take it from there. It's a big decision for sure.
Or perhaps a visit to wherever you intend to live as a holiday type recce if you can afford it?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Don't go she will make your life a misery
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I think a good holiday would be really good.
Spring time coming up.....take her to some lovely place and I am sure she will like it here.

Gotto get her here man, talk her into a 'try before buy'...

All the best.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by coopes
Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while now and I've always wanted to go but reading this forum has really provoked my desire to go to aus more than ever......... however, my wife does'nt want to. The only thing holding her back is her parents which she does'nt want to leave.

I'm 33 she is 30 and we have a 2 year old daughter, we live on the Isle of Wight and compared to most have a reasonable way of life but I feel this would vastly improve if we lived in aus. Dont get me wrong, our financial situation would roughly be the same although our house would be much better along with the climate and outdoor living in general.

Any advice regarding your experiences to gently persuade her ??

Only other option is to tie her up, gag her and pop her into the suitcase !!!
(I need her to get in as she is a teacher !!)

thanks in advance
Go on a holiday first, it could be a bad move if you just go without visiting, esp if your wife isn't interested.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:43 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
Don't go she will make your life a misery
Rock on...
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:44 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Take it from me, if she don't want to go, don't push it, unless of course you want to live life out in Oz on your own......

We've been a few times, she loves it there, but can't stand the thought of living there due to her dad.

Your wife will be very unhappy which = unhappy child = unhappy you.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to "convince" your wife to do something she doesn't want to do? How would you feel if she tried to talk you into doing something you didn't want? She's made it clear that she does not want to leave her parents so why make her? It's a very expensive mistake to make if you bring your family here and find that it doesn't work out. Ask some of the posters who's marriages have failed because one partner was desperately unhappy.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I would also say that you could come here for a holiday.But be warned that if you are really close to your family you will miss them more than you think when you get here.I know someone who went home after three weeks even though they spent a month on holiday a couple of months before they emigrated.The wife missed her family but the husband and son loved it.

It must be horrible if you really want to come but you really need to be 100% sure,both of you.

Best wishes.Sue.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

tchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nice

Coopes!!

Until she has tried it, how could she know??? My husband didnt want to move here.... you wouldn't get him out now!! Check you PM's!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:53 pm
App Lodged 28 Nov 08

sparkey is an unknown quantity at this point

You are still young so you have time on your side, you may find your wife needs time to get her head around moving, take things slowly, agree to talk about it and look into the process of moving. Just the same as you shouldn’t try to force her to go, she shouldn’t force you to stay..
Good luck..
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why would you want to "convince" your wife to do something she doesn't want to do? How would you feel if she tried to talk you into doing something you didn't want? She's made it clear that she does not want to leave her parents so why make her? It's a very expensive mistake to make if you bring your family here and find that it doesn't work out. Ask some of the posters who's marriages have failed because one partner was desperately unhappy.
I agree, by all means go for a holiday and check it out but if she tells you that she doesn't want to go, listen. It can be very painful for all concerned if she comes over to keep you happy and is really wanting to stay in the UK. Ask yourself what is more important to you.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly come for a holiday but don't push her into doing something she obviously doesn't want to do. Her parents are obviously very important to her and people have gone back not realising that until after they moved - a very expensive lesson to learn.

Have you been here for any time or is it just a dream that has no real foundation? Have a holiday and you may find you hate it.

It has to be a joint decision and one you can't force on someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.