I used to love UK Now I worry all the time

Old May 15th 2004, 1:02 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road
Default I used to love UK Now I worry all the time

Hi to you all

I have been reading the UK Pants thread and here is My Story

Hubby Aged 44 Me Aged 45 3 children 16, 14 and 3

Awaiting TRA Approval Hoping to Apply 139 Sponsored Designated Area in Aug before Hubby reaches 45.

Would like to settle in Perth have friends there,

Hubby and I were brought up in Berkshire all our lives, when we were kids our area was ok although you had to be streetwise to survive.

I am one of 6 kids and hubby 1 of 3. We eventually bought my parents house where I grew up, the council eventually replaced the parks and football fields surrounding us with more houses, eventually the area really declined. We couldn't allow our two small boys to play in the back garden because the house behind us was a drug dealing house, They used to enjoy sitting on there garage roof with an Air rifle and try to shoot the birds off of mine. The kids couldn't go out the front to play because of the Joy riders racing pass the front garden.

So 6 years ago after trying to sell the house for 2 1/2 years we moved 20 miles away. Bigger mortgage but hopefully a nicer area. Yes it was until about 12 months ago, lots of trouble again and 16 year old son was finally mugged 2 weeks ago.

My reason for wanting to Emigrate is not because I think Australia is Crime/Drug free compared to the UK, but because we have a large mortgage hubby is working 24/7 to pay for it all, hopefully with the equity we have accumalated over the years we might be able to have a smaller mortgage and hubby may be able to spend a bit more time with 3 year old daughter and teenage sons.

We visited Perth for 3 weeks in Feb, friends have settled really well and hopefully this time next year we may be able to try to do the same.

Hubby is self employed. Wall & Floor Tiler and 16 year old is training to be a Wall & Floor Tiler. 14 year old says he wants to be an Electrician. Hopefully Perth will be able to provide us with enough work to live comfortably.

I have a few doubts though, are we running away yet again to find peace and tranquility.

My family are very supportive of our decision but hubbys family are not, putting lots of doubts our way.

I'm sure there are many of you out there that just want a nicer environment for yourselves and family, well from what I saw of Perth and this is just my opinion I felt that I could settle there.

Julia
Old May 15th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Good luck Julia. I hope that you and your family find hapiness in Australia.
Old May 15th 2004, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

thefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nicethefim38 is just really nice
Default Re: I used to love UK Now I worry all the time

Originally posted by Springo
Hi to you all

Awaiting TRA Approval Hoping to Apply 139 Sponsored Designated Area in Aug before Hubby reaches 45.

Hubby and I were brought up in Berkshire all our lives, when we were kids our area was ok although you had to be streetwise to survive.

I am one of 6 kids and hubby 1 of 3. We eventually bought my parents house where I grew up, the council eventually replaced the parks and football fields surrounding us with more houses, eventually the area really declined. We couldn't allow our two small boys to play in the back garden because the house behind us was a drug dealing house, They used to enjoy sitting on there garage roof with an Air rifle and try to shoot the birds off of mine. The kids couldn't go out the front to play because of the Joy riders racing pass the front garden.

So 6 years ago after trying to sell the house for 2 1/2 years we moved 20 miles away. Bigger mortgage but hopefully a nicer area. Yes it was until about 12 months ago, lots of trouble again and 16 year old son was finally mugged 2 weeks ago.

My reason for wanting to Emigrate is not because I think Australia is Crime/Drug free compared to the UK, but because we have a large mortgage hubby is working 24/7 to pay for it all, hopefully with the equity we have accumalated over the years we might be able to have a smaller mortgage and hubby may be able to spend a bit more time with 3 year old daughter and teenage sons.

We visited Perth for 3 weeks in Feb, friends have settled really well and hopefully this time next year we may be able to try to do the same.

Hubby is self employed. Wall & Floor Tiler and 16 year old is training to be a Wall & Floor Tiler. 14 year old says he wants to be an Electrician. Hopefully Perth will be able to provide us with enough work to live comfortably.

I have a few doubts though, are we running away yet again to find peace and tranquility.

My family are very supportive of our decision but hubbys family are not, putting lots of doubts our way.

I'm sure there are many of you out there that just want a nicer environment for yourselves and family, well from what I saw of Perth and this is just my opinion I felt that I could settle there.

Julia
Julia

Don't listen to the husbands family their only thinking of themselves. Obviosly they don't want their family member to leave the country.

Myself and My wife are in Newcastle upon Tyne and are awaiting a decision from the TRA. We are a bit more fortunate that im 42 and my wife is 34 so we have time on ourside.

We have family in Perth and spent a wonderful 6 weeks their which is why we decided to emigrate as it is a great country and wonderful place to live and bring up children.

We have lived in the same type of areas as yourself and moved to try and have a happier life. Unfortunately it has cost us a great deal of money as we moved at the wrong times. We have had 3 different homes in the last 2 years due to hooligans and kids running riot around the area. The riff raff in this country are spoiling it for the rest of the population but it doesn't stop there.

This government have destroyed everything that Britain stood for and we can't wait to get out. Perth is our dream home and we would have gone anyway but the rest of the issues surrounding us in the North East have just made it easier to decide. Im leaving my mum and dad and 2 brothers who are a bit upset about it but they are pleased for us. They understand that there is no life for our children here anymore.

As i said don't listen to the moanings of people only interested in their feelings. Its understandable they don't want him to go but you have to put your kids first. They will thrive in Perth and i hope that when we both get there we can meet for a drink and celebrate what a brilliant decision we made.

If you would like to email myself or my wife then post a message to the people who run the site and they can give you my personal email address

Take Care and Good Luck

THE FIM
Old May 15th 2004, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hi Springo,
I can understand how you feel, I have a cousin living in Woodley
Berkshire she has said how much the place has changed, which is rather sad, but having said that I guess most places have changed.
My advice to you would be give it a go,you sound as though you really want to make it work so go for it.
My husband was a wall and floor tiler, he now runs his own business, selling Tiles, spa's, ect.he has never looked back have managed to buy a few properties, it does take time and lots of hard work.
We return to the U.K every year for holiday's as we both love England, you can always return for holiday's, as you most likely know wall and floor tilers really do earn good money in OZ.
So go on give it a go!!!!!
Old May 15th 2004, 4:46 pm
Carramar Perth

Originally posted by thefim38

As i said don't listen to the moanings of people only interested in their feelings. Its understandable they don't want him to go but you have to put your kids first. They will thrive in Perth and i hope that when we both get there we can meet for a drink and celebrate what a brilliant decision we made.

If you would like to email myself or my wife then post a message to the people who run the site and they can give you my personal email address

Take Care and Good Luck

THE FIM
Thanks for the reply

Yes that would be great although we have a friend already in Perth you always worry that it might be hard to make new friends, although we had no trouble building up a new circle of friends in Bracknell when we moved 6 years ago, Hubby is a very keen golfer.

I will e mail you.

Regards Julia
Old May 15th 2004, 4:51 pm
Carramar Perth

Originally posted by Irish Guinness
Hi Springo,
I can understand how you feel, I have a cousin living in Woodley
Berkshire she has said how much the place has changed, which is rather sad, but having said that I guess most places have changed.
My advice to you would be give it a go,you sound as though you really want to make it work so go for it.
My husband was a wall and floor tiler, he now runs his own business, selling Tiles, spa's, ect.he has never looked back have managed to buy a few properties, it does take time and lots of hard work.
We return to the U.K every year for holiday's as we both love England, you can always return for holiday's, as you most likely know wall and floor tilers really do earn good money in OZ.
So go on give it a go!!!!!

Thanks Irish Guiness

When we were in Perth in Feb we did a bit of ground work and visited some tile shops, wow they were huge and lovely, We were told if your any good you shouldn't have a problem getting work, Hubby has been a tiler for 25 years and he is excellent.

Thats one of the things his family keep going on about, they know someone that knows someone that has been in Perth 3 years, can't afford a house, no job etc etc etc. I am trying so hard to be understanding with them but my patience is wearing thin, I really don't want to leave with bad feelings so hopefully they will come round.

Thanks for your reply it always makes you feel better to hear that work should not be too much of a problem

regards

Julia
Old May 15th 2004, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Springo
Hi to you all

Julia
Hi Julia.Read your post and I have to say we are in a very similar position.We have two children 19 months and 5 years old.When we were kids it was fine but now everything has changed and feel there is no real future for them in the Uk .We also have a large mortgage and my hubby works all the hours gods send and basically have had enough.
To be totally honest YES its going to be hard to emigrate and there will be lots of hurdles to overcome.Just praying that our application is sucessful.We got in just before the points went up and are on the long wait now to hear hopefully around November time with Med and police check requests.
I too will miss my family,both are supportive and know its an awful long way to go.We too are hoping to go to Perth have second cousins in Mandurah.I think you will find a lot of us on here are in roughly the same position and feel the same about the future in the UK.
We feel we have just got to give it a go at least if it does not work out we can say we certaintly tried.On a positive note IT WILL WORK OUT!!!!.
Cheers Dreamaway Gaynor
Old May 15th 2004, 7:30 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's face it: the UK is going down the sinkhole, it's getting a worse and worse place to bring up your kids.
Old May 15th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

You mustn't see it as running away. Its an adventure, a dream. Lots of people haven't got the guts (or the points) to do it. Tell the family to sod off!!!! You are your own family, live your life for you and the children. It will be hard leaving friends and family but if you are friendly, you soon make more - well hope so anyway.

Everywhere has good and bad points and people love to tell you all about failure - don't listen.

Jo
Old May 15th 2004, 10:26 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Julia I agree with everything that has been mentioned Graham would love a game a golf with your hubby

We are going to Brisbane though

Perhaps when you arrive you can come to stay with us if you fancy a holiday in Brisbane sometime D

Nikki x
Old May 15th 2004, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hope it all works out for you. It sounds like you would all do well out in Perth. Tradepeople are in high demand in most parts of Australia so your family would not have any trouble getting jobs. And with some equity the houses would probably be more affordable.

Have you looked at any house sites to get an idea of prices? Try www.realestate.com.au You can put in the areas you are interested in to get an idea of what houses are selling for.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

I say do it, we came from an area in the UK that is going downhill, I never felt safe walking to the local shops during the day let alone in the evening, and walking past a group of teenagers scared the living day lights out of me. But since we have been here I feel alot more at ease, don't mind walking anywhere. Not saying it's trouble free here in Port Kennedy, I just don't see any of it
Old May 16th 2004, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move.

I was walking the dog through the park the other day and a load of kids on bikes were coming my way. My instant reaction was' oh my God', but as they went past the all shouted ' Hi'. I was very pleasantly surprised.
Not saying that things are perfect here, but even teenagers haven't got that 'Kevin and Perry attitude'.

Whisky
Old May 16th 2004, 12:32 pm
Carramar Perth

we have just got to give it a go at least if it does not work out we can say we certaintly tried.On a positive note IT WILL WORK OUT!!!!.
Cheers Dreamaway Gaynor [/QUOTE]

Hi Dreamaway Gaynor

Thanks for replying to my thread,

I agree totally, If we don't try we will always be wondering what if.

Good luck in your app.

Best Wishes

Julia

PS today I feel really positive, thanks to the replys. what a rollercoaster of emotions you go through when you begin this process.
Old May 16th 2004, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Palmyra just outside Freo for 2 years and can only say I have felt quite extraordinarily safe at all times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.