Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I thought you couldn't bring food in?

I thought you couldn't bring food in?

Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default I thought you couldn't bring food in?

In the (very funny) Oz v UK food thread lots of people have mentioned food being brought it. I didn't think you could do that?

We got stopped for some leftover cheese sandwiches that we had forgotten.

Well,the Beagle got us.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:11 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I thought you couldn't bring food in?

you've got to declare all food items.. so they can check them - some things are banned outright - meat/eggs/dairy products/fruit/veggies/flowers/plants unless you have an import licence for them. If not, you can get a great big nasty fine.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:14 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Alternativley you can stick it in condoms and swallow it. Must admit though the lubrication makes the gravy taste a bit funny
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:14 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Major offence bringing decent cheese into the country.

Did you get let off?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
you've got to declare all food items.. so they can check them - some things are banned outright - meat/eggs/dairy products/fruit/veggies/flowers/plants unless you have an import licence for them. If not, you can get a great big nasty fine.
ah, so sealed biscuits/marmite.cake (?) would be ok?

When I was little and travelling through Adelaide as an Unaccompanied Minor I would bribe the Customs men with an extra pack of Digestive Biscuits, cos the British Embassy had given the wrong Visa (Dad was on RAF Exchange).

Don't expect they are quite so easily bought these days!

So I can bring in snacks for my toddler then?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Alternativley you can stick it in condoms and swallow it. Must admit though the lubrication makes the gravy taste a bit funny
Brilliant

G
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
I am really sorry, but can't help wondering how you could know what the lubrication tastes like Does Hevs know all your secret habits?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:03 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
ah, so sealed biscuits/marmite.cake (?) would be ok?

When I was little and travelling through Adelaide as an Unaccompanied Minor I would bribe the Customs men with an extra pack of Digestive Biscuits, cos the British Embassy had given the wrong Visa (Dad was on RAF Exchange).

Don't expect they are quite so easily bought these days!

So I can bring in snacks for my toddler then?
I brought in 4x 500g tubs of marmite on the last trip (the real deal!). No issues bringing it in as long as you declare it. Customs just think I'm a sad pom and tried to convince me about the taste of vegishite!

D
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:45 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

In the (very funny) Oz v UK food thread lots of people have mentioned food being brought it. I didn't think you could do that?

Well,the Beagle got us.
As folks have said, you can bring in certain items of food provided that you declare them. Check here (Customs website) to see what you can and can't bring.

PR

Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Declaring innocuous food such as processed baby food tends to deflect their attention from full body searches for something more serious.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:56 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Well,the Beagle got us.
That bloody beagle...he found our Walkers C&O chrisps too

Thankfully we'd declared them and were in the right que, which took us over half hour to get through........ and after all that.... we left the bloody things [and a Terry's chocolate orange] in the taxi when we got to the motel

Anyone find any C&O chrisps and melted Terry's chocolate orange in a maxi taxi at Brissy airport.....they're mine.....all mine ....give em back

Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:01 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am really sorry, but can't help wondering how you could know what the lubrication tastes like Does Hevs know all your secret habits?
I don't know what the lubricant tastes like I just know it makes the gravy taste funny. We tried flavoured condoms but I don't reckon much to the strawberry taste either. Perhaps I should right to Durex and ask them to make a beef flavoured condom. I bet the veggies would love that
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:03 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by HUP
I don't know what the lubricant tastes like I just know it makes the gravy taste funny. We tried flavoured condoms but I don't reckon much to the strawberry taste either. Perhaps I should right to Durex and ask them to make a beef flavoured condom. I bet the veggies would love that

Eeeewww HUP. Tooooo much detail m8

Does the missus know you've posted this :scared:

Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:17 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HUP
Perhaps I should right to Durex and ask them to make a beef flavoured condom. I bet the veggies would love that
Oh yes that would be right up my... er... something.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

crossedleggedmoose will become famous soon enough

Well,the Beagle got us.

Just arrived in Sydney this morning (hooray!) and still very jet lagged
Can confirm that wrapped up chocolates, cough sweets and half eaten packet of polos all ok to bring in. Red channel was shorter than green channel which was about 1 mile long in queues. I was waved through by a very nice man who let me go straight through without having anything X-rayed - result!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.