Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:54 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Suspect The Trouble Is About To Start...

Originally Posted by herrchook
Wish us luck, I can see this turning out to be quite a battle knowing my in-laws.
Goodluck! Just remember, that it is your life (and your childrens future) and they have the right to be concerned but not the right to interfere. Yes, going to a new country and starting fresh is going to be difficult but it is also very rewarding & if your children want to come back to England when they are grown up, then they can. (I did it.....although, I now realise the grass was indeed greener in Australia)

I know it seems hard when you are leaving family etc. But you cannot live your lives based solely on other people's feelings or else, you will lose yourself along the way. (this made more sense inside my head)

They will be able to visit, you will be able to come back on holidays, there is Internet, phone, mail etc.

I wish you all the best.

Susan
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi H
God what a nightmare for you just keep your chin up and all the very best

Billy & Vicki
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

It's horrible isn't it. I'm sure I see my Mum with tears in her eyes when she's with my girls these days, and she just won't talk about it. I know she's gutted, but my MIL is a force to be reckoned with, she'll be right up front about how she feels.

This is my mum & dad too. My mum has said she will "DIE without the kids", her "life is over", "how can you just discard us this way?", "you'll be all alone" etc etc, accompanied by pained looks, heavy sighs and lots of tears and hysteria. I don't envy you your 'chat'. I know we have many more to deal with before we go. I'm trying not to get angry about it as I realise how dreadful this is for them, but it's very hard. Best of luck, and 'keep the heid'
TJ
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:32 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the worst bit about emigrating, I think. I am very close to my mother, although barely tolerate my father, and I feel as if I am abondining my mother. She has been fantastic, so supportive. (Though as she moved me and my brother to the US when I was 8 for 10 years, she hasnt really got a leg to stand on!) It does break my heart as she adores my children and they her. But she is encouraging us all the way. My in laws, on the other hand, I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE BACK OF! I have had nothing but CR8P from them for the last 3 years and my FIL is a Grade A W*nker. Dont get me started on BIL and his evil wife Waffa (as in Waffa Bin Laden)/ Im desperately tring to get to emigration day without having to be in the same room as her ever agin.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:36 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Until now, my in-laws have been "OK" with us moving. Not happy with it, and would rather we weren't but not getting in our way. I suspect this is about to change....

This morning, I was collecting the kids who had been staying overnight with them and thanked them for having them. MIL replied, no problem, we have to take them when we get the chance these days! Then she added, actually, we want to talk to you both about your plans to emigrate! This was said with a very stern voice and face. I asked her if there was a problem and all she would say is that they want to speak to both of us!!

I called Mr Herrchook and he suspects they're either going to tell us not to go, or are going to grill us SS style on why we are going. We're going to do homework big style so we can answer everything they throw at us. We know ourselves that it's the best thing for us all but they're going to take some convincing I think!

BIL was round this afternoon and I asked if they'd spoken to him about it and all he would say is that there's a lot about our move they're not happy with. <SIGH>

Wish us luck, I can see this turning out to be quite a battle knowing my in-laws.
Do you want me to come for protection, and I'll bring our hamster
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to go through a similar sort of thing and I don't even have children to make them feel guilty.

I find I get the questions 'Havent you two gone to Australia yet?'

Hmm, apparantly not or I wouldn't be commuting 2 hours each way to Uni in each day and cleaning the black off my face and up my nose when I get home.

Then I get 'So how long does this Australia thing take then?'

Well, they say you can't hurry love, I think that might apply to TRA and DIMIA.

Now we have told them that Stat Dec will be signed next week and then off to Glenny babes, they start to smell a rat.

'Right, i want to know exactly how you are financing this jaunt and what have the Ozzies got that the UK hasn't?'

Or, as was said to me on Monday, 'you are serious then?'

To the original poster, please don't worry about what is going to be said to you.

It is not going to change your mind, influence you in any way and whatever you do, they will think what they want to anyway.

All you can do is reassure them, tell them you are doing what is best for your family.

And do not let yourself be intimidated, put off or upset.

Talk to them and be thoughtful in your replies and the rest is water off a ducks back.

Sam
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:11 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I believe people in this situation should detach themselves from emotional issues no matter how difficult it may be.

Your in-laws have chosen the life they live, the life in the uk. It is their choice and noone could ever make them live any other life.

You, on the other hand have every right to live your life the way you want it and if that means migrating from the uk thats your choice in life.

The distance from the uk to oz is easily travelled and though the in-laws may miss the kids, its their choice to stay in the uk.

It may be seen as selfish of you to leave the uk with your kids but being the parent of them its your decision. The in-laws attitude of selfishness should run off your back like water from a ducks back.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:41 pm
Mandy & Stu x

stutay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am starting to go through a similar sort of thing and I don't even have children to make them feel guilty.

I find I get the questions 'Havent you two gone to Australia yet?'

Hmm, apparantly not or I wouldn't be commuting 2 hours each way to Uni in each day and cleaning the black off my face and up my nose when I get home.

Then I get 'So how long does this Australia thing take then?'

Well, they say you can't hurry love, I think that might apply to TRA and DIMIA.

Now we have told them that Stat Dec will be signed next week and then off to Glenny babes, they start to smell a rat.

'Right, i want to know exactly how you are financing this jaunt and what have the Ozzies got that the UK hasn't?'

Or, as was said to me on Monday, 'you are serious then?'

To the original poster, please don't worry about what is going to be said to you.

It is not going to change your mind, influence you in any way and whatever you do, they will think what they want to anyway.

All you can do is reassure them, tell them you are doing what is best for your family.

And do not let yourself be intimidated, put off or upset.

Talk to them and be thoughtful in your replies and the rest is water off a ducks back.

Sam
totally agree with you Sam x
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:53 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

when i told my dad we were off, he was heartbroken.
wasnt happy at all and started all the wee jabs at us.
i come from a family of 10 kids and was the only child that saw him most days. so i can understand why he was hurt.
it all changed one day when i reminded him that he moved the whole family 10 miles when they were kids, back in the days when 10 miles felt like the other side of the world.
when asked why.
we did it for you kids !!!!!!
ditto dad
after that he was there for us every step of the way
its funny cos i speak to him twice a day now and hes really happy with the whole thing now

good luck with the inlaws, but rmbr your not doing it to get at them, its for YOUR FAMILY
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:55 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Until now, my in-laws have been "OK" with us moving. Not happy with it, and would rather we weren't but not getting in our way. I suspect this is about to change....

This morning, I was collecting the kids who had been staying overnight with them and thanked them for having them. MIL replied, no problem, we have to take them when we get the chance these days! Then she added, actually, we want to talk to you both about your plans to emigrate! This was said with a very stern voice and face. I asked her if there was a problem and all she would say is that they want to speak to both of us!!

I called Mr Herrchook and he suspects they're either going to tell us not to go, or are going to grill us SS style on why we are going. We're going to do homework big style so we can answer everything they throw at us. We know ourselves that it's the best thing for us all but they're going to take some convincing I think!

BIL was round this afternoon and I asked if they'd spoken to him about it and all he would say is that there's a lot about our move they're not happy with. <SIGH>

sounds like a bloody good reason to go live 14000 miles away. I'd give it a big dose of tolerant listening and then an even bigger dose of ignoring. Or even better - just tell them to get lost and have a big row, saves on presents and postage costs when you are here. Or worst case scenario- they want to come too (!).
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

My poor sister has the same problem with her MIL. She whinges and complains that her 'favourite' son doesn't live near her anymore. I can understand her pain, but what really gets my goat is that she has more money than god, which means that she flies over on a very regular basis (1st class) and the whole time she is here she complains about the flight and the country. My parents, on the other hand, who are nothing but supportive but can't afford to visit whenever they like would absolutely love to trip over to visit and don't see it as a chore. This woman has told my sister and BIL that if they return to S.Africa, she will buy them a house, car and support them financially for a year or until they find their feet - hell, I am on the verge of offering to go back as a substitute . She has improved a little but my sister is expecting a baby in December and I think she is going to be unbearable once the baby is here.