Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:58 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

Originally Posted by Dinnie
I think that's really sad and I hope that in reality it is not always the case for you - Akron I mean. I'm new here and do not know how long people have been in Australia so forgive me if I blunder in.

I'm an Aussie but I've been living in the UK for the past 6 years. My English hubby and I are about to move back to Melbourne (my hometown) in January - all dependant on when his residency application is approved. *holds breath*

Anyway, its recently occurred to me that for the last few months I have actually stopped feeling like an outsider. What I mean is that I have lived here for long enough to absorb loads about the culture, language, people, way of life and history to be able to integrate with my colleagues, friends and family. I wanted to live in England for a while so that when we eventually moved to Australia, I'd have a context and a background I could draw on for my husbands sake in his inevitable moments of homesickness. i.e. I miss pints of Black Sheep, Pedigree [insert ale of choice] I could at least know he wasn't talking about animals!

I stopped trying to be an 'Aussie in England' a while ago. I stopped comparing things (okay, out loud at least!) with 'home' and I stopping trying to make England Australia for it was doing my head in - not to mention my husband's.

And for my efforts I found that this place slowly became my home. I belong here - yes I am Australian but as I stopped struggling I found instead that while life in England is not like it is in Australia, I like it nonetheless.

I think its more about letting go what you left behind than getting used to what replaces it. I even got used to a front-loading washing machine and a shower over every bath! But I resolutely refused to work with a washing up bowl in the sink!

I hope those of you who have taken than enormous step and moved to Oz find it eventually becomes a home. And to those idiot Aussies who insist on calling you 'immis' - just tell them to s*d off!

Dinnie
Very well said Dinnie.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

Originally Posted by fnord
As a kiwi, I grew up with an attitude similar to OZ: If it feels comfortable, do it. I quickly saw that wasn't the case in the UK. Unfortunately my brother, newly arrived in the UK during a hot summer here, didn't believe me and walked to the local corner shop barefoot. On the way, he passed a guy in his mid-thirties who said "This isn't a 3rd world country, you know". We live and learn, eh?
The Brits have... a rather curious outlook on the issue of bare feet in public places, yes.

I put it down to the repressive, conformist culture.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

Originally Posted by arkon
Not far off, I thought it was whale spotting season again.
Thar she blows...!!!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:14 pm
Fighting my corner

I think that's really sad and I hope that in reality it is not always the case for you - Akron I mean. I'm new here and do not know how long people have been in Australia so forgive me if I blunder in.

I'm an Aussie but I've been living in the UK for the past 6 years. My English hubby and I are about to move back to Melbourne (my hometown) in January - all dependant on when his residency application is approved. *holds breath*

Anyway, its recently occurred to me that for the last few months I have actually stopped feeling like an outsider. What I mean is that I have lived here for long enough to absorb loads about the culture, language, people, way of life and history to be able to integrate with my colleagues, friends and family. I wanted to live in England for a while so that when we eventually moved to Australia, I'd have a context and a background I could draw on for my husbands sake in his inevitable moments of homesickness. i.e. I miss pints of Black Sheep, Pedigree [insert ale of choice] I could at least know he wasn't talking about animals!

I stopped trying to be an 'Aussie in England' a while ago. I stopped comparing things (okay, out loud at least!) with 'home' and I stopping trying to make England Australia for it was doing my head in - not to mention my husband's.

And for my efforts I found that this place slowly became my home. I belong here - yes I am Australian but as I stopped struggling I found instead that while life in England is not like it is in Australia, I like it nonetheless.

I think its more about letting go what you left behind than getting used to what replaces it. I even got used to a front-loading washing machine and a shower over every bath! But I resolutely refused to work with a washing up bowl in the sink!

I hope those of you who have taken than enormous step and moved to Oz find it eventually becomes a home. And to those idiot Aussies who insist on calling you 'immis' - just tell them to s*d off!

Dinnie
I still do everything the Aussie way, wherever and whenever possible. I take great satisfaction in asserting my nationality.

And I definitely agree with you on the "washing-up bowl in the sink" thing; when I first arrived here, I thought I'd stepped back in time to the '50s!

Especially with all the ciggy smoke around the place... it amazed me that the UK was so far behind re. smoking legislation.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I still do everything the Aussie way, wherever and whenever possible. I take great satisfaction in asserting my nationality.

And I definitely agree with you on the "washing-up bowl in the sink" thing; when I first arrived here, I thought I'd stepped back in time to the '50s!
Seriously Vash, what is wrong with a washing up bowl, I'm getting paranoid that I'm being uncool or something?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Seriously Vash, what is wrong with a washing up bowl, I'm getting paranoid that I'm being uncool or something?
Washing up bowls are revolting. But then I will only use a dishwasher because I am a tart about dirty washing up water
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Red face Re: I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

Originally Posted by herrchook
What's right with it?!

You already have a perfectly good sink for the purpose of washing up; why do you need to crowd it with a silly little plastic bowl?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Washing up bowls are revolting. But then I will only use a dishwasher because I am a tart about dirty washing up water
LOL, good onya mate.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice

What's right with it?!

You already have a perfectly good sink for the purpose of washing up; why do you need to crowd it with a silly little plastic bowl?
One could waste hours and hours on this board! It was my husband who found it now I'm the one hooked!!! I digress.

Anyhoo ... in some ways I will always be an Aussie in England i.e. different, unusual, noicye ::in Kath & Kim mode:: and if my husband read my post he'd p*ss himself for I'm always ranting but lately I've realised you just have to let go! I think I'd see things differently if our return to Oz was not imminent.

I had lunch with an Aussie mate who has only been here for 2 years and is heading back a week before we are. She is sooooo fed up with life in England and much to my surprise I found myself standing up in defence of it. I agree that things are frustrating here a lot of the time so when did I become so bloody tolerant?!

Example - she and her bloke moved into a flat 18 months ago and despite repeated calls and letters to the power company they have never received a bill. Now, the idiots have caught up with their paperwork they want to send them a bill for the entire 18 months. She politely told them she was not going to pay for their incompetence, end of story. Mind you, she did go supersonic on them at that point so I suspect they backed off!

As for the plastic bowl - I refuse to use them for they get slimey, smelly and stained. I like my stainless steel sink, I clean it every few days and I have NEVER broken anything in it. (Someone once told me they used a plastic bowl cause things get broken in a steel sink - um, only if you drop them into one from a bloody great height!)

Off to do some work!

Dinnie
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: I ran over some guys naked foot in the supermarket

What's right with it?!

I think you'll find it is all perfectly logical. A secondary washing-up bowl is used when there is only one sink/plug-hole in the kitchen, so that whilst washing up, dirty/dirtier water can be got rid of down the sink rather than having to put it back in the washing up bowl which would make the job of actually getting the pots clean even harder!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
I think you'll find it is all perfectly logical. A secondary washing-up bowl is used when there is only one sink/plug-hole in the kitchen, so that whilst washing up, dirty/dirtier water can be got rid of down the sink rather than having to put it back in the washing up bowl thus making the job of actually getting the pots clean even harder.
Perhaps I've been staring at the screen for too long today but that makes absolutely NO sense!!

:scared:
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Dinnie
Without wishing to sound patronising you are one of migration's success stories Dinnie and this is in no small part due to your attitude. I'm not having a go at anyone else, it just seems to me that this is an important state of mind to have if you want to make a 'go of things' somewhere else.

I too, like you, am an Aussie from Melbourne (what part you, me Williamstown) and my wife is British (well Scottish she would insist). I have been here a little bit longer than you and I would like to think that I have embraced the local culture and appreciated the differences between the two countries. Unlike Neil Diamond who came from New York and lived in LA and was very confused because he wasn't living where he was born ('I am, I said'), I feel that I am fortunate to have 2 'homes'. I lived the first part of my life in Australia, the second part of my life in Scotland and the next part of my life will be in Australia - who knows the next part may be back in Scotland.

Arkon by the way goes around a coastal NSW town with a trolley running over weirdos in Bunnings, termites, unhelpful people in boat yards, supermarkets and every place he does business with. He always comes on here saying how uncool LA is compared to NY (metaphorically speaking if you get my drift). Oh, once he said the birth certificates were better in Australia than Cornwall or wherever.

OzTennis
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

BazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the rough

What's right with it?!

Couldn't agree more - Not sure it is a measure of Nationality though!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:45 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Oh, once he said the birth certificates were better in Australia than Cornwall or wherever.
Not as cool as the NZ birth certificate which is in English AND Maori
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:48 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BazzaMatthews
Couldn't agree more - Not sure it is a measure of Nationality though!
I think you'll find it is in this forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.