Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i phone help please

i phone help please

Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default i phone help please

Hi, we are due to land in brisbane in a couple of weeks and are bring are iphone's with us.

We have had them unlocked so can be used on any aussie network.

Would be using the iphone for internet access mainly i.e facebook / skype / web searches with 500mb should covering that......so not after lots of free call time ?!

Do all the networks have good 3g coverage brisbane ??

Very confused with all the different packages out there, who to use: vodaphone, virgin, 3, Telstra or Optus etc, what's all this about CAPS ??
HELP PLEASE...

thanks
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i phone help please

A cap is a plan which includes an allowance amount for voice calls, sms and data for a fixed fee per month. they vary from provider to provider in terms of value.

Telstra offer the best coverage hands down, however tend to be less competitive than others. Sometimes it's a case of which service works best in the area your going to, which will be a matter of trial and error.

Eg. In my house Vodafone, Optus and 3 are rubbish. Telstra is full strength.

Just get a prepay SIM when you land and be wary of the data allowance included in the cap you select and that you don't go over it
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea - what Centurion said. Buy a couple of $2 cards and try them in the area you'll be living in. Coverage doesn't just vary by area, but also by phone (some have more powerful aerials than others) so you really need to try them all and see which works best. Telstra are money-gouging bastards, but often they're the only option as they have far and away the best network coverage.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:51 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Telstra offer the best coverage hands down, however tend to be less competitive than others. Sometimes it's a case of which service works best in the area your going to, which will be a matter of trial and error.

Eg. In my house Vodafone, Optus and 3 are rubbish. Telstra is full strength
Regardless of cost, I'd jump for Telstra everytime. Currently with Vodafone and in my house the only signal you get is by the door. The same for my daughter who's with Optus. I don't signal at work and heaps of other places too ...

I've not seen a place where Telstra don't get a signal! ...
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:03 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

If your travelling about a bit go for Telstra. Their plans are much better value than they used to be almost to the point of being competitive. But when you consider that the coverage is exceptional compared to the other networks, so you can actually use your iPhone, its a no brainer.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by harrip
so you can actually use your iPhone
or any other phone too!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Hi, we are due to land in brisbane in a couple of weeks and are bring are iphone's with us.

We have had them unlocked so can be used on any aussie network.

Would be using the iphone for internet access mainly i.e facebook / skype / web searches with 500mb should covering that......so not after lots of free call time ?!

Do all the networks have good 3g coverage brisbane ??

Very confused with all the different packages out there, who to use: vodaphone, virgin, 3, Telstra or Optus etc, what's all this about CAPS ??
HELP PLEASE...

thanks
For coverage, I'd rate Telstra as the best and 3 as the worse. Telstra do not have a good reputation but their NextG network is really good and has extensive coverage - even in some very remote areas. Telstra are getting better and they now have some very competitive caps. Virgin seem to have reasonable caps too.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For coverage, I'd rate Telstra as the best and 3 as the worse. Telstra do not have a good reputation but their NextG network is really good and has extensive coverage - even in some very remote areas. Telstra are getting better and they now have some very competitive caps. Virgin seem to have reasonable caps too.
Agreed - once you are outside a major city [and even in one] 3's coverage is awful. When I was down in the South West of WA my iPhone had to roam constantly as 3's coverage seemed to stop almost as soon as I left Perth.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Im with Virgin, and I live rural and still get a decent signal. Had no problems with my iphone.
However as others have said Telstra is the best.

Gems
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:37 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

3 used to roam with Telstra when outside a 3 area - which was OK for phone calls. Not so good for data.

This said, I'm not sure about this arrangement now 3 and Vodafone are the same business in Australia.

I'd avoid a Telstra contract like the plague - a personal view based on personal experiences.

See also the Whirlpool forums,

Best regards.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I'd avoid a Telstra contract like the plague - a personal view based on personal experiences.
This is what I said shortly after arriving and getting stung by Bigpond, but am back with them now as they're offering me the best deal.

Still recommend them for mobile service here, currently untouchable!