Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I need a webpage done

I need a webpage done

Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I use www.cheapnet.co.uk for my UK one..
Thanks, I've just had a quick look at their web site, and again it seems to use UK 0845 numbers for server connection. Providing you prefix this with the UK international dialling code does this work OK ?
I'm worried about being charged high international call rates as I update my site, it's mainly photographs, family stuff and the like, so some of the image files can get quite large.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jerzy
Thanks, I've just had a quick look at their web site, and again it seems to use UK 0845 numbers for server connection. Providing you prefix this with the UK international dialling code does this work OK ?
I'm worried about being charged high international call rates as I update my site, it's mainly photographs, family stuff and the like, so some of the image files can get quite large.
no no no

I use FTP to upload my site, so i just connect locally, and ftp across the world. No long distance costs.

Does your site allow FTP uploads ?

Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jerzy

May i ask a stupid question, why are you updating via a dedicated number. If its a case of FTP , then take out a basic package and port your website to it from existing !
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
May i ask a stupid question, why are you updating via a dedicated number. If its a case of FTP , then take out a basic package and port your website to it from existing !

It could be that because it is a free website service, you have to connect on their dial-up service in order that you can ftp to it.

I know that years ago I couldn't pick up email from freeserve's pop3 server unless I was dialled up through their dialup service.

My guess is that they have put this restriction on the ftp service in this case - else how would they make any money, if not through dialup?
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by darkless
It could be that because it is a free website service, you have to connect on their dial-up service in order that you can ftp to it.

I know that years ago I couldn't pick up email from freeserve's pop3 server unless I was dialled up through their dialup service.

My guess is that they have put this restriction on the ftp service in this case - else how would they make any money, if not through dialup?
Yes, this is the case, unless I connect using their dedicated 0845 number their servers will deny access. I use FTPExplorer btw.

Looks like I'll have to start paying to host my site
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future
Default Re: I need a webpage done

Originally Posted by jopaulss
Hi guys
Dave thanks for the well wishes on my venture and i will do my best
The site is getting quite alot of look ins so hopefully things will start to move now. I have put alot of effort into this and cant wait to get started now.
Just have to offer good service and give 110% dont you which i know i can do, especially with all the competion that keeps popping up .
Any comments on the site and how i could change it or make it better etc would be welcome.
www.perthmeetandgreet.com
Joanne
Hi

I'm a designer too (hence bed spelling) and i know how constructive critisism is valuable to any design. Working on a project for a long period can tend to give you tunnel vision and outside opinion is necessary.

Here is my opinion on you home page, and remember its just my opinion.

I would lose the image of private jet and limo. It gives the site an exclusive feel, and a bit Peter Stringfellow ish. As soon as i saw it i thought "i'm not going to be able to afford this service"

I would replace it with a pic of a smiling family with kids. The kind of people you are aiming the site at. A friendly face on a website, who's business is people, always feels welcoming. I like it though. Its comming on well. If you want anymore outside opinion PM me

good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Thanks Leedslad
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jopaulss
Hi guys
Can anyone help or know of anyone in Perth that could help. I am in the last stages of setting up a business and i need a web site. Have looked through the yellow pages and i dont know whats what. Remember i am looking at cheap after my $$$$$$ dentist bills Any help or advice greatly appreciated thanks guys
Joanne
I have emailed you directly.... Web sites is what I do.
Cheers
Steve