I need tesco

Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need tesco

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I don't see ready meals as lazy just convenient for the modern family, especially when both parents have to work to pay the huge mortgages. Often you only get to see each other for 2 hours a day and most have better things to do than be rolling out pastry to bake a family sized pie!!
It is so much more convenient to buy a box of frozen Kiev's for a couple of pounds than buy a couple of Kiev's for an extortionate $'s at a butchers.
We know it's not the UK but there is nothing wrong with discussing the things you miss in life as well as the things you enjoy. Unless you are meant to surpress it all and become dependant on Prozac!
It's a shame they don't teach kids to cook at school anymore, you can create good food for half the price and with twice the nutrition as those crappy ready meals you get in the UK.

Tonight for me & the Mrs, couple of chicken breasts diped in sesame oil then cajun seasoning. Fry for 10 minutes serve with lettuce and tomato salad.

Just as easy as unwrapping a couple of ready meals and putting them in the microwave and for 1/2 the price.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
It's a shame they don't teach kids to cook at school anymore, you can create good food for half the price and with twice the nutrition as those crappy ready meals you get in the UK.

Tonight for me & the Mrs, couple of chicken breasts diped in sesame oil then cajun seasoning. Fry for 10 minutes serve with lettuce and tomato salad.

Just as easy as unwrapping a couple of ready meals and putting them in the microwave and for 1/2 the price.
I home cook most the time and always have done. There are the days though when swimming finishes at 6pm you dash home and haven't defrosted any meat! Plus you can't have boiled egg every day
And cooking was often taught at home before both parents needed to work. One good thing lost due to the pressure's of the modern world.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Scossie
Here we go again with another moanathon thread about supermarkets!

This is Australia!!
The UK, and UK shops / shopping ways, & general lifestyle are on the other side of the bloody planet!!!

In Australia, things are done the Australian way!!
Get used to it!
Immigrants like ourselves have absolutely no right to "expect" it to be any other way.

52% of the worlds population have never made or received a phone call, and people come on here and whinge about missing a favourite ready meal, or the terrible inconvenience of having to visit more than one shop, etc etc!

Get some perspective, and get a bloody grip...!!!

I don't EXPECT it to be any other way but it doesn't mean that I prefer the Australian way. I much prefer the UK supermarkets and the facilities they offer.
Get used to it - obviously some people prefer UK supermarkets.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Tell you what I really liked about the English supermarkets, whilst the wife was of buying and hunting around the warehouse sized places, filling the relies cupboards with goodies and necessities as payment for their hospitality. After about 20 mins or so of wandering around the miriad of aisles and getting bored of people watching and shelf perusing. I would invariably wander down to the massive booze aisles and just ponder and dream at all the different beers, and single malts, in a state of semi ecstacy. As I was on Holiday, I also had a damn good excuse to buy all sorts of different beers and spirits on each visit, without fear of spouse reprucussion, and boy did I take advantage of that situation. European beer at 33 to 50 pct cheaper than you can buy it here, sheer bloody heaven mate. Single malts, that I'd never even heard of, in a "supermarket". From Duvel to Chimay and stopping via Czech beer inbetween, bloody hell, I'm getting misty eyed now.

How can you knock that. I guess the novelty would wear off after about 5 years

I want to start up a petition, I want this system here.

Come on down Tesco's
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:45 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I home cook most the time and always have done. There are the days though when swimming finishes at 6pm you dash home and haven't defrosted any meat! Plus you can't have boiled egg every day
And cooking was often taught at home before both parents needed to work. One good thing lost due to the pressure's of the modern world.

In that case why not pop down to the many and varied Asian restaurants that not only give you quick nutritious food (stir fried with plenty of veg) but cook it for you for less that a ready meal costs frozen in the shop!!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scossie
Here we go again with another moanathon thread about supermarkets!

This is Australia!!
The UK, and UK shops / shopping ways, & general lifestyle are on the other side of the bloody planet!!!

In Australia, things are done the Australian way!!
Get used to it!
Immigrants like ourselves have absolutely no right to "expect" it to be any other way.

52% of the worlds population have never made or received a phone call, and people come on here and whinge about missing a favourite ready meal, or the terrible inconvenience of having to visit more than one shop, etc etc!

Get some perspective, and get a bloody grip...!!!
I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Just move on and make it work for you.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
In that case why not pop down to the many and varied Asian restaurants that not only give you quick nutritious food (stir fried with plenty of veg) but cook it for you for less that a ready meal costs frozen in the shop!!
Because I chose to live in the middle of no mans land...

Anyway the scenarios were just that, nothing personal... I for one don't work and I stay at home cooking everyday for my family. I am lucky in the fact that I can.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 4:50 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Because I chose to live in the middle of no mans land...

Anyway the scenarios were just that, nothing personal... I for one don't work and I stay at home cooking everyday for my family. I am lucky in the fact that I can.

Good on you.. i havent the patience or inclination!! As theres only two of us it is so often far cheaper to eat out here we rarely cook much at all... i am also very spoilt
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Good on you.. i havent the patience or inclination!! As theres only two of us it is so often far cheaper to eat out here we rarely cook much at all... i am also very spoilt
Must admit most of my 12 years of living in Oz I ate out, and liked the variety and found it was cheaper. I also liked having the buzz of people around me when I ate and didn't like staying in and watching tv anyway, mostly because I did a range of sports and liked being outdoors. I still tend to eat out where ever I am, after a hard days work, I can't be bothered to cook and wash up dishes. Nice to leave that to someone else. Knew quite a few Aussie friends used to do that. If I buy food and shove it in the fridge it become a pharmaceutical paradise for penacillin, lol
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I need tesco

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
No cheap petrol stations onsite
Not entirely true; there are plenty around if you know where to find them. Even the Woolies in Legana (Tasmania) has one!

But the rest of your post was 100% spot on, mate.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Must admit most of my 12 years of living in Oz I ate out, and liked the variety and found it was cheaper. I also liked having the buzz of people around me when I ate and didn't like staying in and watching tv anyway, mostly because I did a range of sports and liked being outdoors. I still tend to eat out where ever I am, after a hard days work, I can't be bothered to cook and wash up dishes. Nice to leave that to someone else. Knew quite a few Aussie friends used to do that. If I buy food and shove it in the fridge it become a pharmaceutical paradise for penacillin, lol
Many of the flats in Melbourne's Docklands don't have a kitchen at all! They do have power points if you want to plug in a microwave though. i.e. many of these inner city urban dwellers eat out most of the time.

OzTennis
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: I need tesco

One thing that really irritates me about UK supermarkets is that everything is sold in such tiny portions. You have to buy millions of one item just to make up a reasonable amount - and then, of course, you're left with mountains of plastic packaging to dispose of.

Consequently, I have found that my rubbish output over here is astronomical; many times higher than when I lived back home in Australia.

You can't get Cadbury's chocolate in the good old 250g slabs (it's either 200g, 300g or nothing) and it doesn't come in all the usual flavours (Snack, Rum & Raisin, Top Deck, Turkish Delight under license from Fry's, etc. etc.); you can't get Peter's icecream (let alone Paul's or Streets); I assume you can get Cadbury's icecream around here somewhere, but haven't found it yet.

And so on, and so forth.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
One thing that really irritates me about UK supermarkets is that everything is sold in such tiny portions. You have to buy millions of one item just to make up a reasonable amount - and then, of course, you're left with mountains of plastic packaging to dispose of.

Consequently, I have found that my rubbish output over here is astronomical; many times higher than when I lived back home in Australia.

You can't get Cadbury's chocolate in the good old 250g slabs (it's either 200g, 300g or nothing) and it doesn't come in all the usual flavours (Snack, Rum & Raisin, Top Deck, Turkish Delight under license from Fry's, etc. etc.); you can't get Peter's icecream (let alone Paul's or Streets); I assume you can get Cadbury's icecream around here somewhere, but haven't found it yet. Now you know how the expats feel......

Things are different. You are in England mate
And so on, and so forth.
Now you know how the expats feel......

Things are different. You are in England mate

Oh and of course things come in smaller sizes. Have you not noticed that people are in general a lot smaller on the waist there
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you still in the UK, and with access to Tesco - did you know they sell Tim Tams? A bit pricey but fab.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
For those of you still in the UK, and with access to Tesco - did you know they sell Tim Tams? A bit pricey but fab.
Penguin biscuits are much cheaper though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.