Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i married a criminal

i married a criminal

Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:56 pm
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i married a criminal

Just got our police checks back and my husband (of 7 days) had burglary at the top of the police check - when he was 15 he and his friend broke into a woodmakers factory and took some wood to build a jetty for fishing (how sweet) unfortuneately they got found out and grant went to juvenile court - 12 months conditional discharge. Then when he was 18 he was out with his mates, decided to limb a zebra crossing becan and knocked the ball of the top - got fined £50-00. He also lost his license for 18 months (20 years ago) for drink driving. He's 41 now these offences all occured over 20 years ago, will these ruin our chances or not?
Old Jun 1st 2003, 6:03 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

No but they need to be declared otherwise PR could later be revoked for any unconnected reason.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:37 pm
Keelie

Default Re: i married a criminal

I had to smile at your post. Isn't it ironic that these are exactly the kind of misdemeanors that would have seen him shipped off to Australia a hundred years ago. If they make an issue of it, I'd be tempted to remind them of the fact.

Originally posted by carolerussell
Just got our police checks back and my husband (of 7 days) had burglary at the top of the police check - when he was 15 he and his friend broke into a woodmakers factory and took some wood to build a jetty for fishing (how sweet) unfortuneately they got found out and grant went to juvenile court - 12 months conditional discharge. Then when he was 18 he was out with his mates, decided to limb a zebra crossing becan and knocked the ball of the top - got fined £50-00. He also lost his license for 18 months (20 years ago) for drink driving. He's 41 now these offences all occured over 20 years ago, will these ruin our chances or not?

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 12:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Keelie
I had to smile at your post. Isn't it ironic that these are exactly the kind of misdemeanors that would have seen him shipped off to Australia a hundred years ago. If they make an issue of it, I'd be tempted to remind them of the fact.
The English would have had him transported, not the Aussies.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry about it, I had worse than that as I was a bad lad. !!

As long as you declare them it will be OK, I actually added a covering note with mine to say the offences took place x amount of years ago and since then I have have been an honest citizen. etc. etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

No Problem! Just make sure they are stated on the form!
Cheers
Gary
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Keelie
That would go down like a lead balloon!