Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Love the Gold Coast

I Love the Gold Coast

Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice
Default Re: I Love the Gold Coast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I am a sad git and thought I'd have a dig through old threads and nope, there's no mention from me about Robina being full of Brits so bad luck there. I was more commentating on the fact that you felt the need to have a go at Shiels for saying it was full of poms when she actually said 'Some areas can be I think, very popular with poms'.
I work all over the Gold Coast from top to bottom, there are Poms everywhere in every suberb. I'd say Pacific Pines, Coomera Waters, Parts of Upper Coomera, Mudgeeraba have the most from personal experience.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

swappingstates is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved here from Adelaide Dec 2009. We could not settle in SA our eldest son could not settle at all. We found the people really friendly down there and met some great friends but it just got a little boring at times. Great place if you love walks, wine and very slow pace of life all fine but sadly just not for us.
We have all settled on the Coast now and really feel at home. We have built at Coomera Springs love the house, the lifestyle (we even went camping at Tallabudgera and loved it, never been camping before!) I think the key is getting work i found work quite easy (industrial air con tech) but Clare struggled for about 6 months to get ANYTHING at all it is expensive here on one income. She is now training in child care and loves every second. For us it has been a fantastic adventure but it is stressful.
We just really miss our friends from SA and hopefully can find some on here
We have two boys 16 and 11 who are football mad like their Dad.
We are originally from the Wirral in the UK.
Advice to anyone coming out here be prepared for a bit of stress but if you find work where else is there to live?? Great great place to live and bring up your kids which is the reason we came to Oz.
Good luck to anyone making the trip.

Lee
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:59 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swappingstates
We moved here from Adelaide Dec 2009. We could not settle in SA our eldest son could not settle at all. We found the people really friendly down there and met some great friends but it just got a little boring at times. Great place if you love walks, wine and very slow pace of life all fine but sadly just not for us.
We have all settled on the Coast now and really feel at home. We have built at Coomera Springs love the house, the lifestyle (we even went camping at Tallabudgera and loved it, never been camping before!) I think the key is getting work i found work quite easy (industrial air con tech) but Clare struggled for about 6 months to get ANYTHING at all it is expensive here on one income. She is now training in child care and loves every second. For us it has been a fantastic adventure but it is stressful.
We just really miss our friends from SA and hopefully can find some on here
We have two boys 16 and 11 who are football mad like their Dad.We are originally from the Wirral in the UK.
Advice to anyone coming out here be prepared for a bit of stress but if you find work where else is there to live?? Great great place to live and bring up your kids which is the reason we came to Oz.
Good luck to anyone making the trip.

Lee

Check out the local soccer clubs - the season is just about to start
http://www.goldcoastsoccer.com.au/find-a-club
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks we sorted the footie out already!
My eldest plays at Coomera and the youngest plays at Pacific Pines. Our lives are about to be taken over by training and matches again but we love it!
Are you with any clubs?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:36 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks we sorted the footie out already!
My eldest plays at Coomera and the youngest plays at Pacific Pines. Our lives are about to be taken over by training and matches again but we love it!
Are you with any clubs?
My 15 year old son plays for Southport (3rd season there)
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:02 am
Just Joined

gemsticks is a jewel in the roughgemsticks is a jewel in the roughgemsticks is a jewel in the roughgemsticks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by diddy
Just wanted to say that.

Spent the morning doing Nippers at Broady with the kids, then headed down to Currumbin Creek for the afternoon. Water was crystal clear and not a cloud in the sky. Only very minor whinge of the day was dumpy waves at Broady so the kids all stacked a few times, but they got up and kept going.

The Goldy takes such a bagging, but I love it here and never see myself living anywhere else.
I LOVE THIS! How many times do you hear people from te UK saying oh I love where I live. And I live in Currumbin Valley so the creek is a 15min drive for me. I love the prestine waters and calm lagoon for little kiddies and even dogs. I have to go back in 2 weeks to the UK for a few months and dreading it! It'll be good to see people but I'd rather they came here and enjoyed such a beautiful country!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your life here!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:04 am
Just Joined

gemsticks is a jewel in the roughgemsticks is a jewel in the roughgemsticks is a jewel in the roughgemsticks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Used to live opposite the Currumbin wildlife park beautiful area...see pic of my old watering hole.

Photo taken from the Rocks Resort...of the Vikings SLC
Used to live? Where are you now? Vikings is our local too
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemsticks
Used to live? Where are you now? Vikings is our local too
I had an apartment at the Sanctuary Beach Resort across the road from the Wild Life Sanctuary on Teemangum Street http://www.sanctuarybeach.com.au/

Also lived in Tugun and Palm Beach for a while and had an apartment next to the Rocks Resort down the alley next to the little restaurant opposite the beach

I used to drink in the Vikings before it was modernized and there was no huge back deck...are Mick and Sue still there!!

Now live in California.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by t4top
Hi Milly123,
I am new here but we are in the process of relocating to Australia. We have just booked our medicals after it was requested by our CO. We are applying for a PR visa but we are not really sure which part of Australia to settle in.
We are turn between Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane/Gold Coast.
We have never been to Australia and since you have moved form Adelaide to Gold Coast could you please tell us your experience about living in both cities and why you moved to the Gold Coast.
We are a family of five and my is a ICU Nurse. I am a Maths Teacher and both of us will be looking to work when we get there. Which city would be better for us in terms of lifestyle, job opportunities for both of us.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have been living in the Gold Coast for 12 weeks now, and we think it’s fantastic, I made some good friends in Adelaide, of which I returned last weekend to see and will still do from time to time.
But if we could do it all again, there is no way we would waste as much time and money in Adelaide as we did, It was just not what we came to Australia for.
For us it felt like that was it end of the rd , no progression, cut off from everything, As everyone will constantly tell you , Adelaide is a big country Town , Maybe working in employment services didn’t help as I got to see the bad most times. Jobs are easy to come by, it’s the pay rates that are low, most will say it matches with the state economy, but I didn’t find this . My daughter and her partner still live there and have no intensions on moving for the foreseeable future, but they have time on their side .
I find living in the gold Coast gives you options, more travel and more choice, still working in the same industry, I have noticed a lot of difference.......
It’s all depends on what you are looking for,
In ref to employment, you are both in needed positions so could fine work anywhere .
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by milly123
We have been living in the Gold Coast for 12 weeks now, and we think it’s fantastic, I made some good friends in Adelaide, of which I returned last weekend to see and will still do from time to time.
But if we could do it all again, there is no way we would waste as much time and money in Adelaide as we did, It was just not what we came to Australia for.
For us it felt like that was it end of the rd , no progression, cut off from everything, As everyone will constantly tell you , Adelaide is a big country Town , Maybe working in employment services didn’t help as I got to see the bad most times. Jobs are easy to come by, it’s the pay rates that are low, most will say it matches with the state economy, but I didn’t find this . My daughter and her partner still live there and have no intensions on moving for the foreseeable future, but they have time on their side .
I find living in the gold Coast gives you options, more travel and more choice, still working in the same industry, I have noticed a lot of difference.......
It’s all depends on what you are looking for,
In ref to employment, you are both in needed positions so could fine work anywhere .
Same as we felt, we really feel we wasted 2 and a half years down there despite meeting some great friends. We have been here since last Dec and this does feel like the Australia we thought we were moving to. All more settled than we ever where in Adelaide.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Same as we felt, we really feel we wasted 2 and a half years down there despite meeting some great friends. We have been here since last Dec and this does feel like the Australia we thought we were moving to. All more settled than we ever where in Adelaide.