Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I love australia because.......

Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:45 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I love australia because.......

Originally Posted by JayDeee
There are millions of things that I already take for granted but would miss like hell if I were to go back to the UK, so I wont, I'm here and I'm staying here.
That's a very good point. Perhaps all the whinging Poms should be forced to go back to the UK for a month. Then maybe they would appreciate all the good stuff here and shut up. (I mean all the proper serious whingers, not those of us who like to grumble occasionally about the little things. We know they're only little things.)
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

I love Australia because.......
the fruit actually tastes of something
i dont have to worry about how i look, what i say(people accept you 4 you)
the scenery is fantastic and strangers converse with you
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I love australia because .....

Saturday morning, get up and go for a swim in one of the fresh watering holes that's here, staying as long as we want, maybe taking a picnic. In the evening ringing the uk and catching up with family and friends

Sunday we can take a drive into the mountains, take a boat ride and have a cool beer whilst enjoying the scenery.

Monday, have a bbq in the garden when hubbie comes home from work, not staying in watching t.v.

Tuesday, is cheap night at the cinemas, $10 each

Wednesday, after hubbie comes home from work we can all head down to the lagoon for a swim then go for the most fantastic icecream we have ever had

Thurday, go and see friends, sit out in the garden, chilling out having a few beers

Friday, after shopping, nothing, maybe going out in town or just staying in with a good book and a bottle of wine.

There you go, my week, we spend alot more time outdoors than in the uk and we spend it together!

Mandy
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:16 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

the weekend starts sooner than is does in the UK.
4hours 15mins for me, whoohoo!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, thought of another one...

I love Australia because.................Flexitime!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:07 am
Go Banana's !!

Because................

I have time to spend with my little girl.

Her horse riding out here is just so much more fun and her skill has improved dramatically.

I have fantastic friends, who accept me for the stupid things I say and who fill in the gaps (That's you Siren ). They don't judge and they just understand , cos we are all in a similar boat. I have had some of the best laughs ever.

There are 3 cars in front of you and the Aussies call it traffic (geeze they would jump off Tyne Bridge if they had to sit in the trafficI had to [shudder])

You get time at the traffic lights to check your lippy and check the UBD in that order

I wake up most mornings to blue sky

I can put a wash on at 6am, hang it out at 7am and it's dry by 9am.

The shoes are really pretty

I can go to the shops in thongs

I have a choice of at least 10 different places to shop all within 20-30 mins.

The Perth Skyline - gets me everytime

The beautiful turquoise blue sea

The fact that the price on items is never the price you pay, haggling is a sport.

The fact that we are building our dream house with no mortgage. I have had a level of involment in every detail, without the hassle of having to manage it. It is just so much more straight forward than the UK.

The fact that when you put an offer on a house and it's accepted, that's it you are moving.

Petrol prices go down as well as up, seems fare.

The fruit and veg tastes better.

People don't take the mickey out of my Liverpool accent, they love it! This is actually a serious point. I have been humiliated on many occassions in the work place in the UK because of my accent and the related jokes. Here the Aussies don't give a stuff. The only time I have seen a hint of it was from a guy from Manchester and I just ignored him.

The restaurants and the Boatshed sandwiches in Cottesloe.

The best bit is I don't get my hayfever anymore, you have no idea how good that feels.

......................geeze I really could go on forever.................

As Badge said, it just feels right.

Jill

Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Yet another one...

I Love Australia because we have outdoor cinema's.....in the middle of January, you can go sit at the edge of a lake at night and watch a movie on the big screen.....

Just saw Nicholas Cage in "National Treasure" and it was awesome....
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:48 pm
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

it's where I remember one of my most happiest times being when I was there for 3 yrs in my early teens.

Its what I want my children to have as well.

It's where my Mum and Dad is.

It's where my stepbrother and sister are and one of them was my bestie,mate blood sister etc, when we were growing up and I miss her.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Because................

I have time to spend with my little girl.

Her horse riding out here is just so much more fun and her skill has improved dramatically.

I have fantastic friends, who accept me for the stupid things I say and who fill in the gaps (That's you Siren ). They don't judge and they just understand , cos we are all in a similar boat. I have had some of the best laughs ever.

There are 3 cars in front of you and the Aussies call it traffic (geeze they would jump off Tyne Bridge if they had to sit in the trafficI had to [shudder])

You get time at the traffic lights to check your lippy and check the UBD in that order

I wake up most mornings to blue sky

I can put a wash on at 6am, hang it out at 7am and it's dry by 9am.

The shoes are really pretty

I can go to the shops in thongs

I have a choice of at least 10 different places to shop all within 20-30 mins.

The Perth Skyline - gets me everytime

The beautiful turquoise blue sea

The fact that the price on items is never the price you pay, haggling is a sport.

The fact that we are building our dream house with no mortgage. I have had a level of involment in every detail, without the hassle of having to manage it. It is just so much more straight forward than the UK.

The fact that when you put an offer on a house and it's accepted, that's it you are moving.

Petrol prices go down as well as up, seems fare.

The fruit and veg tastes better.

People don't take the mickey out of my Liverpool accent, they love it! This is actually a serious point. I have been humiliated on many occassions in the work place in the UK because of my accent and the related jokes. Here the Aussies don't give a stuff. The only time I have seen a hint of it was from a guy from Manchester and I just ignored him.

The restaurants and the Boatshed sandwiches in Cottesloe.

The best bit is I don't get my hayfever anymore, you have no idea how good that feels.

......................geeze I really could go on forever.................

As Badge said, it just feels right.

Jill
Thanks Jill that has put the warm feeling back inside i have been reading to much negativity on here, can't wait to join you!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:12 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

the woman I love is there and she loves it

And I'm going next week.....

Carl
Old Feb 20th 2005, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scrawni
And not one person is to mention the weather, house prices, or quality of life!!! Come on be original

I love australia because I don't have to wear socks!

Mandy
I love Australia because I wanted to emigrate 25 years ago but family ties stopped the idea.

Karen,also faced a similar situation years ago and backed out for the same reasons in her early 20s

At last the "kids" are now grown up and expensively University educated and in their mid-20s and guess what...our Kate met a nice guy who - surprise surprise - has family in Adelaide. I have a cousin in Melbourne -but he joined the " I am an Aussue and dont acknowledge my Brit birth" brigade..anyway The kids decided thatOZ was better than the UK (!) and decided to emigrate..their visa is due within weeks.

Finally in 2004 Karen and I went to OZ, visiting Perth, Sydney & Hobart ( and few other places) just for a holiday and too see where the kids would be.

On the 1st January 2004, Karen and I sat in the Sydney botanical gardens and took in the vista, The Opera House, the "Coathanger" and I asked Karen just one question...." Could we live here?"

If the Oz government would allow mums and dads to join their sons or daughters who are the educated and skilled labour they so want,, when they can pay their own way and dont want any benefit handouts...it really would be easier..so many "boomerang" back to the UK because of family and parents who cannot get a visa.

BUT we are going back in December 2005 and hope the visa catagories change or we win a few quid on the lottery. On the other hand if you are an Oz and want to get into England...just come over and claim asylum or that your Human Rights are violated by having to work!...sorry dropped into a rant!"
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh

If the Oz government would allow mums and dads to join their sons or daughters who are the educated and skilled labour they so want,, when they can pay their own way and dont want any benefit handouts...it really would be easier..so many "boomerang" back to the UK because of family and parents who cannot get a visa.

BUT we are going back in December 2005 and hope the visa catagories change or we win a few quid on the lottery. On the other hand if you are an Oz and want to get into England...just come over and claim asylum or that your Human Rights are violated by having to work!...sorry dropped into a rant!"
Well the Australian government do not allow it so you will have to wait until you are eligible for a parent contributory visa and take your turn like some of the rest of us have.

If you really want useful information I suggest a bit less ranting as some of us get annoyed by it.

G
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:16 pm
aussie73

As an Island thousands of miles of beaches, most of which ouside the capital cities are unspoilt, unpolluted and uncrowded. The beaches have golden sand clear blue water, good surf ,and nice blue sky and good weather to enjoy it.

Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:27 pm
wombat42

Its suprising Mike Stanton , Eatstatic and the other anti-Aussie trolls have'nt
hijacked this thread yet.

Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well the Australian government do not allow it so you will have to wait until you are eligible for a parent contributory visa and take your turn like some of the rest of us have.

If you really want useful information I suggest a bit less ranting as some of us get annoyed by it.

G
Get out of the wrong side of the bed Grayling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.