Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Love Adelaide!!

I Love Adelaide!!

Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I Love Adelaide!!

Originally posted by evorobin
Um no that'll be you and all the snobs you claim to be a spokesperson for

Go to woolworths I dare you...
Well I do go to City Cross - does that count ??
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:08 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

my ex g/f who was from adelaide has said that it is quite hard to get work in adelaide. is that true or was it more of a case of her not being qualifeid enough. is there a problem there with not enough work and too many people.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

robins girlie says.....she who wrote those crap stats about adelaide.. of All the playgroups i have been to.. im the youngest one there and im 27!!average age is 31 and as for the 99% of uni students that are supposed to be from elsewhere...well most ozzies are from elsewhere! i went to school in adelaide and i know of a lot of people that went on to uni..i think you need to check your sources next time.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

hello again.. another update for you

we have found a house to rent in Glenelg...its a lovely old sandstone house with high ceilings and chandaliers. I love this part of Adelaide. We are right by the tram stop at the end of Jetty Road if anyone wants to pop in for coffee..LOL

Went for a very late night drive into the city last night to see how lively it is (daughter in London needs to know for her visit!!!) I was amazed at how busy it was at 2am. There were even restaurants in china town still open for business. Of course i couldnt just pass by without trying some... we had a great chinese meal sitting outside watching the young and the restless enjoying their Saturday night out. There were heaps of nightclubs, but also bars still open which surprised me.

oh BTW..we have bought the cutest puppy in the world...her name is Honey, and boy is she a good way to meet new people!!! Everywhere we go people stop to say hello...could be a good tip for those feeling a bit lonely!

ok..off to the beach for a morning walk..bye for now
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by podgypossum
hello again.. another update for you

we have found a house to rent in Glenelg...its a lovely old sandstone house with high ceilings and chandaliers. I love this part of Adelaide. We are right by the tram stop at the end of Jetty Road if anyone wants to pop in for coffee..LOL

Went for a very late night drive into the city last night to see how lively it is (daughter in London needs to know for her visit!!!) I was amazed at how busy it was at 2am. There were even restaurants in china town still open for business. Of course i couldnt just pass by without trying some... we had a great chinese meal sitting outside watching the young and the restless enjoying their Saturday night out. There were heaps of nightclubs, but also bars still open which surprised me.

oh BTW..we have bought the cutest puppy in the world...her name is Honey, and boy is she a good way to meet new people!!! Everywhere we go people stop to say hello...could be a good tip for those feeling a bit lonely!

ok..off to the beach for a morning walk..bye for now
Just wanted to say thanks for the great updates on your move to adelaide, it is a lovely laid back place to be, all the best

Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:07 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear you are getting into the swing of things!!!
How does the atmosphere compare to nights out in, say, London?? Is it all loud and scary, or is it a bit calmer? (if you know what I mean)
bet you will be glad to move out of the hospital accomodation? How is your hubby settling into work? much difference to nz/uk?

be happy!!

sue
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Nice to hear you are getting into the swing of things!!!
How does the atmosphere compare to nights out in, say, London?? Is it all loud and scary, or is it a bit calmer? (if you know what I mean)
bet you will be glad to move out of the hospital accomodation? How is your hubby settling into work? much difference to nz/uk?

be happy!!

sue

Hello Sue.
Yes we are glad to get out of the hospital at last. Its all rush rush rush getting stuff for the house.
I come from London and although i havent been into any of the clubs, they seem pretty much the same as "back home" although on a slightly smaller scale. I also noiticed that the age groups of people were far more mixed unlike UK where you feel old if you are over 25!!
My husband doesnt start work till the 15th December so we are enjoying the "holiday" at the moment.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey podgy, what sort of puppy did you get? Have you got any pics? We just picked up our new puppy last weekend, after waiting about 6 months for a litter, shes adorable, we should start a new thread & coo over each others puppy pics
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hey podgy, what sort of puppy did you get? Have you got any pics? We just picked up our new puppy last weekend, after waiting about 6 months for a litter, shes adorable, we should start a new thread & coo over each others puppy pics

Hello..

I havent got pics yet...gonna take some at the beach tomorrow if its sunny. She is adorable, a cross between a king charles spaniel and a maltese terrier...one big bag of fluff at the moment....awwwwww i'm starting to feel maternal again... what knd have you got? and have you got a pic?
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

How wonderful to hear such good things about Adelaide.

My husband and I are currently awaiting the postman (although I think it will be another 9 months yet!) and hope to settle in Adelaide.

We spend most of our time at the moment information gathering about the area from whatever sources possible.

The more we find out the more we are convinced that Adelaide may well be the place for us....

Hope we get out there and find ourselves even a fraction as happy as you are.

Enjoy the sunshine (wet and wild here at the moment!).

Olive.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by evorobin
robins girlie says.....she who wrote those crap stats about adelaide.. of All the playgroups i have been to.. im the youngest one there and im 27!!average age is 31 and as for the 99% of uni students that are supposed to be from elsewhere...well most ozzies are from elsewhere! i went to school in adelaide and i know of a lot of people that went on to uni..i think you need to check your sources next time.
Well if you have alternative statics to disprove mine rather than mere anecdotal evidence I shall gladly concede the point.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

However since moving here we have realised that beneath the pretty surface there are lots of things that are not so pretty : unemployment and teenage pregnancy is higher than any other capital city in Australia (yes even Hobart), levels of education are lower. Only 15% of South Australian children finish high school. Over 99% of University students at Adelaide Universities are not from South Australia. There is a huge section of the city that is inhabited by people who live on welfare.

Apart from statistics
Well maybe you can provide a source for starters!

Not difficult to disprove statics(sic) that don't exist

TRY HERE

Highlight = International students make up approximately 12% of the student body at Adelaide.

I'd say that was evidence you've been talking s*** for some time
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

stuartr is an unknown quantity at this point

Unemployment according to 2001 govt census:
SA: 7.6%
Tas: 10.1%
NSW: 7.2%
Qld: 6.8%
WA: 7.5%

Just throwing in my two percentile worth (bad joke for the statisticians!)
Old Dec 1st 2003, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I dont understand, or see the point of this arguement. Adelaide is a city, just like any other city..of course its gonna have its problems (not that ive noticed many so far, maybe i'm not looking hard enough!!) but as for uni studens, we have been living right opposite the university. I have seen many different kinds of folk there. So what!!

BTW.. just as a useless piece of info...the university has some beautiful old victorian buildings... in fact, many of the buildings in this city remind me of ones in London. Very ornate, i saw one hotel with a sign saying "established 1847"
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
When I'd had enough of BritishExpats for a while I joined a forum about pugs, all they write about is their pugs, and they post pictures, I must say it was a refreshing change to come back to the arguements at BE!

Anyway, my avatar is my puppy. She's a little pain in the arse, but so beautiful I can't help but adore her!

Seeing as this is going off topic I'll say something about Adelaide: It's lovely at the moment looking out of my office window (which is in a tall building) to see the purple bloom of the jacaranda (sp?) trees dotted all over the city and surrounds.

By the way I don't think I will be going to the Expats' barbie now, I've got my uni entrance exam the next day so I'll probably be trying to swot up for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.