Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Love Adelaide!!

I Love Adelaide!!

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default I love Adelaide

Originally posted by piglit
Cheers

look forward to it
Hello Piglet what part of Essex do you come from,my hubby is from there, and has been in Adelaide for 30 years,came here with his parents.
we went to Essex last Christmas,I enjoyed it very much, found the people very friendly, had some really good laughs.
I know that you will love Adelaide, so clean and bright, we do have our problems, but then who dosen't!!!
perhaps if we have a meet in Feb, we will get to meet you all.

all the best with your plans, for the future
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 9:11 am
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya PP,
We're new to Adelaide also, just arived on Nov. 6th. I'm glad to say that we love the place too, no regrets and no feeling homesick, it looks to be a beautiful place here. I'm sure that it does have it's problems, like anywhere in the world, even Yorkshire! But right now I'd rather be here, we've both felt deep down we belong from the moment we arrived. Good luck with the househunting, you're right about Glenelg, it's a fantastic place to be, and it's where we've rented a house for the first year, though we ent into the hills yesterday, up Greenhill Road, and some of the views of the city are out of this world. Lets hope all the Adelaide Expats can have a meet-up sometime soon, it'd be nice to share some experiences and a few beers.
Blue.

ps my favourite bit so far are the 'Pick your own Kangaroo Steak' restaurants.
Attached Thumbnails I Love Adelaide!!-b5pics.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanx again for the good wishes everyone..

can someone post the address for the Adelaide Brits site?.... i have desperately been trying to find it...i cant use my laptop at hte momnet as i am using hte nurses residence computer room and we have no phone line in our apartment.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:44 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PP

Glad to hear you love Adelaide! We are heading for there next summer! Any tips or info you have would be greatly appreciated. Keep posting and bluey your pics were great! Can't wait to see more...

Best wishes to you

Theresa
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

piglit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I love Adelaide

Irish Guiness

I have just PM you
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you love Adelaide PP! I love it too. Been here for 3 years and 2 days now.

See you at the next Expats' barbie.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bluey
Lets hope all the Adelaide Expats can have a meet-up sometime soon, it'd be nice to share some experiences and a few beers.
Well we're having a party on the 6th December although I did post a thread about Classic adelaide and Gouger street Friday night for a drink and no-one answered. oh well...
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I Love Adelaide!!

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hi Sunlover,

Whilst i cannot dispute your claims about Adelaide as i havent been here long enough, i have to say that most of the points you make wont directly affect our lives here as we dont have small children (mine are grown up and in London) and i am not the major wage earner my husband is.

The statistics regarding teen pregancies is interesting, but as i have said before, it is prevalent all over the western world not just Adelaide. We are currently staying in the nurses residence at the RAH. I have been spending a bit of time with some of these "welfare" people and their families, who are here due to illness etc. They are no different to the poor and uneducated you find back in UK, or any other big city.

One thing i really DO love about this place is its cleanliness. No dirty dusty grime filled streets here, its spotless. Graffiti is minimal in the areas i have been to so far.

BTW... we have been looking at good areas to live and the best places seem to be the eastern suburbs, hills or Glenelg.

I'm not the main wage earner either, my husband got a job here idependently of my sponsorship. However I do still want to have a decent career and feel that women here are seriously stymied. I can't believe the experience and exposure that I have had in other countries compared to other women here who have always worked in Adelaide - they're delighted to reach middle management level and get their first company car at 35 !!

I completely agree regarding your choice of suburbs. We live in the Eastern Suburbs and think they're the best.

Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
There's IS milk and honey down at Woolworths !
I wouldn't of thought Sunlover's been to woolworths as it sounds beneath her. What is that overpriced shopping mall on Portrush rd called again, Burnside village is it?
Old Nov 27th 2003, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/
The yahoo group is the "old backup/archive" group.
the new "improved" group is at

Adelaidebrits

The next "poms picnic is on the 7th of December at 11am ish.
"Usual" spot near the adventure playground on Belair national Park

Andy
Old Nov 27th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by evorobin
I wouldn't of thought Sunlover's been to woolworths as it sounds beneath her. What is that overpriced shopping mall on Portrush rd called again, Burnside village is it?
OFCOURSE I only shop at Burnside darling, doesn't everybody ?

Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:04 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

i liked adelaide when i was there earlier in the year but i found it quite disconcerting how everyone knew each other or knew somone that you knew.

admitedly though it is lovely how the city is surrounded by the parklands and how easy it is to get around. i stayed with friends in blackwood and it only took 20 minutes to get pretty much anywhere.

the other thing i loved about adelaide was the cafes and restaurants. loads of them and it was fab being able to sit on nice road side terraces without cars getting too close.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Sunlover
OFCOURSE I only shop at Burnside darling, doesn't everybody ?

Um no that'll be you and all the snobs you claim to be a spokesperson for

Go to woolworths I dare you...
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
i liked adelaide when i was there earlier in the year but i found it quite disconcerting how everyone knew each other or knew somone that you knew.
It is pretty disconcerting especially in business when everyone else has billions of contacts and you have none. Also when you go to functions and they've all known each since Nursery School and you don't know anyone.

However they are friendly and you make friends really quickly. one of our biggest problems nowadays is juggling all the social events we're invited to without offending anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.