Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Love Adelaide!!

I Love Adelaide!!

Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:51 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

good yo hear you're enjoying Adelaide. For the sake of comparison, which part of NZ did you come from again?

I think it would make a difference to how people perceive a place - as it would be only natural to compare it with where you've just come from - hence the fact that the things Sunlover point out might not bother you so much.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear that you have arrived safetly and have settled in well. Another positive post from a new arrivee.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:08 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

Hi podgypossum

Glad to hear you are settling in ok and enjoying life down under.

Hows your hubby finding nursing down under?

Siobhan
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:20 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi podgypossum,

I'm really glad you love Adelaide; I've visited my sister there twice now and really liked it too but I've been wondering lately if it was those rose-tinted/holiday visit specs that attracted me.

I can't wait to come back again though (validating February, final move August all being well) and it would be fantastic if you happened to have an Adelaide meet planned for late February... at O'Briens, maybe?

Keep posting, as you can see there are a few of us heading your way who are eager for more...

I know you were a little nervous about uprooting and starting over again but it sounds like you made the right move.

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Elaine
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Love Adelaide!!

Originally posted by PeteY
Pop down to Victor and have some fish and chips on the beach

Mmmmm, Victor Harbour - motel with no heating, horizontal rain, gales, and trying to spot southern right whales from the inside of a car!!! Aaah, bliss!!

(seriously, lovely part of the world, McLaren Vale defo worth a stop too.)

PP, have you taken a trip up to Norton Summit? It's gorgeous up there - the views are breathtaking. There's an 'old road' and a 'new road' to the top - (my husband made me cycle up there - 7km continuous climb....coming down at 65kph was exhilerating tho!!) Stunning property up there as well...probably worth a few $mil.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

As an ex-Adelaide girl have to say that I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying our lovely city so much.

Re those stats, on the low completion rate for HS students and University attendance, I have to say I am surprised to hear those figures. Not saying they are wrong, but that one about Uni students being 99% from elsewhere than Adelaide sounds bizarre to me as I know plenty of people from Adelaide who went to Uni in Adelaide.

Think there may be a higher percentage of welfare cases in SA because of lack of employment opportunities.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

piglit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Glad to hear that you love Adelaide as this is some comfort to me as we will be coming soon.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

J and J... we were in Auckland. Lived there 2yrs.

Hello Piglet...hurry up and get over here... i'll have a drink waiting!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

piglit is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

look forward to it
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:00 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Keep one cool for me!

Hey there,

Count me in for a drink, between mid February and early March at least!

PP - sent you a PM.

Elaine
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya PP,
So pleased you love Adelaide too as we do ! and YES we have won the rugby cup. Darren myself and our friend went outside shouting at the top of our voices about it "bet were not too popular this morning in our street" what bad losers Aussie's are too. Mind you they did give the lions a run for their money didn't they, we were on the edge of our seats.

We live in the hills "think I already told you" love it up here not too far from the beach and have the pleasure of the beautiful scenery too.

Maybe see you at the next picnic in a few weeks time ?

Juls
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thanx Janey..Glenelg is a must, and so is a drive into the hills..the views from up there are amazing! Head out to Belair, lovely place.
Not done too much other site seeing just yet, too busy trying to find a house to rent. Will definitely report back when i have been out and about more.

and my new friend Jerry is a baby wallaby... his mother got killed in a road accident and a fellow mature student nurse has become his surrogate mum...she carries him around a in carpet bag which he thinks is his "pouch" and hse feeds him special formula in a baby bottle ......awwwwwwwwwwww...he is a real cute baby, but unlike human babies he prefers sucking his toe to sucking a thumb!!!
Hi, haf, my wife is a nurse, are the wages in oz for a nurse livable, we have looked at all areas and like the look of adalaide, did you find it easy to adapt to the new system their. we will be visiting next year but it's so hard to make a choice. haf has been put off slightly by certain posts about all places, but as i say it's relative to where you come from in the u.k. e.g crime, drugs, e.t.c. does sound nice there though. help!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Podgy!!! So glad you got there ok & wondered where you got to the last month or so (well, I knew you were moving), I've missed your smiling face next to your posts (as well as the posts of course LOL). So glad you are enjoying it, I personally love Adelaide for the reasons you mention, Id much rather live there than Sydney or Meb if I ever had to leave Brisbane.

Hope to see you back posting again (more often) soon .
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're settling in, PP!

>> One thing i really DO love about this place is its cleanliness. No dirty dusty grime filled streets here, its spotless. Graffiti is minimal in the areas i have been to so far.<<

That's very interesting - although I haven't been to Adelaide for some six years or so (and loved the place) the amount of graffiti was astounding. Especially on the tram route down to Glenelg. Every fence, shop and utility box was covered with it. Things have obviously improved.

Worst thing about SA is that damned half-hour! (Like India).

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
J and J... we were in Auckland. Lived there 2yrs.

Hello Piglet...hurry up and get over here... i'll have a drink waiting!
Good to hear you are enjoying Adelaide. Anywhere must be an improvement on Auckland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.