Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Love Adelaide!!

I Love Adelaide!!

Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default I Love Adelaide!!

We arrived here after spending a few days in Sydney (which i also loved!) and i can honestly say i am sooooooooooo glad we decided to come here. The city is beautiful. wonderful stone victorian buildings, roses, roses everywhere...i can't get over how obsessed they seemed to be with them. The people i have met so far have been very very friendly...far more so than in NZ...and i have even had some good old fun and banter over the rugby on Saturday.
Anyone in Adelaide should come over ot the O'Briens Irish bar. I have been told quit ea lot of poms are going there to see the match. Food is good too

not got a lot fo time to post much more right now, but just wanted to let all the others thinking of coming here NOT to get disheartened bad reports...a place is what you make it...and this is a fantastic place to make it happen.

Bye for now
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Muchos Happiness to you in Adelaide.

Diane
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I have been wondering how you've been
Good to hear you love Adelaide.
HP
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I Love Adelaide!!

Originally posted by podgypossum
We arrived here after spending a few days in Sydney (which i also loved!) and i can honestly say i am sooooooooooo glad we decided to come here. The city is beautiful. wonderful stone victorian buildings, roses, roses everywhere...i can't get over how obsessed they seemed to be with them. The people i have met so far have been very very friendly...far more so than in NZ...and i have even had some good old fun and banter over the rugby on Saturday.
Anyone in Adelaide should come over ot the O'Briens Irish bar. I have been told quit ea lot of poms are going there to see the match. Food is good too

not got a lot fo time to post much more right now, but just wanted to let all the others thinking of coming here NOT to get disheartened bad reports...a place is what you make it...and this is a fantastic place to make it happen.

Bye for now
Hi Podgypossum
Pleased to hear that you love Adelaide
should be a great match on Saturday,another good place to be
is The Earl of Arbeeden,
most likely won't get to O'Briens, I always go there on Saint Pat's
day. have a great night Sat.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

but just wanted to let all the others thinking of coming here NOT to get disheartened by bad reports...a place is what you make it...and this is a fantastic place to make it happen.
Welcome to Adelaide.

I agree that Adelaide is a very visually appealing place. However I also think there is a lot more to a place than meets the eye.

I was flown out to Adelaide by the people who offered me a job to see whether I liked it enough to want to move here. I was also offered a job in Sydney and went to Sydney first. I liked Sydney a lot but when I got to Adelaide it was love at first sight. I loved everything about it : the old stone buildings, the huge plane trees, the roses, the beaches, the parklands, the tram, the close proximity of everything etc. etc.

I met vast numbers of friendly inhabitants and went to all kinds of happy social gatherings during the time I was here. It all seemed utterly perfect.

I went back home armed with photos and videos and tourist brochures to convince my husband to give up his job and come to paradise.

However since moving here we have realised that beneath the pretty surface there are lots of things that are not so pretty : unemployment and teenage pregnancy is higher than any other capital city in Australia (yes even Hobart), levels of education are lower. Only 15% of South Australian children finish high school. Over 99% of University students at Adelaide Universities are not from South Australia. There is a huge section of the city that is inhabited by people who live on welfare.

Apart from statistics I can report from personal experiemce that men definitely rule in Adelaide. There isn't just a glass ceiling for women in business, its a corrugated iron one (which incidentally is a favourite and not so beautiful form of fencing which is very prevalent here).

It's easy to discount all "bad reports" when you're in the honeymoon stage. However they're not actually intended to be "bad" just realistic. I believe that everyone does have the right to both sides of the story.

Good luck to you.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:21 am
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey PP glad to hear you've arrived ok, look after Adelaide for us oh yeah and have a ball
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:26 am
Just Joined

neatd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default adelaide

Bearing what you said in mind would you still do it again and would you still choose Adelaide?

We are awaiting our bond request and are hoping to come over spring (uk) 2004. We have 2 kids 3 and 5 so I am concerned about thier future as that's one of the main reasons to move.

We are from leics and theres some awful parts to that but you can live alongside it and not really know it exsists can the same be said there or are you affected by the things you've pointed out?

Any advice at all would be appreciated
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:44 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sunlover
Welcome to Adelaide.

I agree that Adelaide is a very visually appealing place. However I also think there is a lot more to a place than meets the eye.

I was flown out to Adelaide by the people who offered me a job to see whether I liked it enough to want to move here. I was also offered a job in Sydney and went to Sydney first. I liked Sydney a lot but when I got to Adelaide it was love at first sight. I loved everything about it : the old stone buildings, the huge plane trees, the roses, the beaches, the parklands, the tram, the close proximity of everything etc. etc.

I met vast numbers of friendly inhabitants and went to all kinds of happy social gatherings during the time I was here. It all seemed utterly perfect.

I went back home armed with photos and videos and tourist brochures to convince my husband to give up his job and come to paradise.

However since moving here we have realised that beneath the pretty surface there are lots of things that are not so pretty : unemployment and teenage pregnancy is higher than any other capital city in Australia (yes even Hobart), levels of education are lower. Only 15% of South Australian children finish high school. Over 99% of University students at Adelaide Universities are not from South Australia. There is a huge section of the city that is inhabited by people who live on welfare.

Apart from statistics I can report from personal experiemce that men definitely rule in Adelaide. There isn't just a glass ceiling for women in business, its a corrugated iron one (which incidentally is a favourite and not so beautiful form of fencing which is very prevalent here).

It's easy to discount all "bad reports" when you're in the honeymoon stage. However they're not actually intended to be "bad" just realistic. I believe that everyone does have the right to both sides of the story.

Good luck to you.

There's IS milk and honey down at Woolworths !
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sunlover
Welcome to Adelaide.

Good luck to you.

Hi Sunlover,

Whilst i cannot dispute your claims about Adelaide as i havent been here long enough, i have to say that most of the points you make wont directly affect our lives here as we dont have small children (mine are grown up and in London) and i am not the major wage earner my husband is.

The statistics regarding teen pregancies is interesting, but as i have said before, it is prevalent all over the western world not just Adelaide. We are currently staying in the nurses residence at the RAH. I have been spending a bit of time with some of these "welfare" people and their families, who are here due to illness etc. They are no different to the poor and uneducated you find back in UK, or any other big city.

One thing i really DO love about this place is its cleanliness. No dirty dusty grime filled streets here, its spotless. Graffiti is minimal in the areas i have been to so far.

BTW... we have been looking at good areas to live and the best places seem to be the eastern suburbs, hills or Glenelg.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PP!!!
Glad to hear you got there ok, noticed you hadnt been around lately!!
Hope you get settled in adelaide!!

Take care
Sue
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hi Sunlover,

Whilst i cannot dispute your claims about Adelaide as i havent been here long enough, i have to say that most of the points you make wont directly affect our lives here as we dont have small children (mine are grown up and in London) and i am not the major wage earner my husband is.

The statistics regarding teen pregancies is interesting, but as i have said before, it is prevalent all over the western world not just Adelaide. We are currently staying in the nurses residence at the RAH. I have been spending a bit of time with some of these "welfare" people and their families, who are here due to illness etc. They are no different to the poor and uneducated you find back in UK, or any other big city.

One thing i really DO love about this place is its cleanliness. No dirty dusty grime filled streets here, its spotless. Graffiti is minimal in the areas i have been to so far.

BTW... we have been looking at good areas to live and the best places seem to be the eastern suburbs, hills or Glenelg.
We have a friend who lives in Brighton? and she loves it there...

Done any sightseeing yet?

Pop down to Victor and have some fish and chips on the beach
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Hi PP!!!
Glad to hear you got there ok, noticed you hadnt been around lately!!
Hope you get settled in adelaide!!

Take care
Sue

Thanx for the good wishes everyone...

I just know in my heart that this is the right place...i am not a rose tinted newbie at emmigrating, this is my second time. I never felt like this when i went to NZ. It was ok living there, but i somehow never felt "at home". Its the same as when you find the right man in your life...you just know...and Adelaide is in my heart now. Who knows, things might change down the line, but i like to live for today, and as long as it stays like this i'll be happy as a pig in the proverbial ...

And i'll have you all know that i have made my first new friend too....
His name is Jerry and he lives in a carpet bag..................
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:23 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I'am so glad you like it. We have friends there and they love it. We are taking a trip there next April so You'll have to let us know where the best place to visit is.
Good luck
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by janeyray
I'am so glad you like it. We have friends there and they love it. We are taking a trip there next April so You'll have to let us know where the best place to visit is.
Good luck
Thanx Janey..Glenelg is a must, and so is a drive into the hills..the views from up there are amazing! Head out to Belair, lovely place.
Not done too much other site seeing just yet, too busy trying to find a house to rent. Will definitely report back when i have been out and about more.

and my new friend Jerry is a baby wallaby... his mother got killed in a road accident and a fellow mature student nurse has become his surrogate mum...she carries him around a in carpet bag which he thinks is his "pouch" and hse feeds him special formula in a baby bottle ......awwwwwwwwwwww...he is a real cute baby, but unlike human babies he prefers sucking his toe to sucking a thumb!!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:40 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Thanx Janey..Glenelg is a must, and so is a drive into the hills..the views from up there are amazing! Head out to Belair, lovely place.
Not done too much other site seeing just yet, too busy trying to find a house to rent. Will definitely report back when i have been out and about more.

and my new friend Jerry is a baby wallaby... his mother got killed in a road accident and a fellow mature student nurse has become his surrogate mum...she carries him around a in carpet bag which he thinks is his "pouch" and hse feeds him special formula in a baby bottle ......awwwwwwwwwwww...he is a real cute baby, but unlike human babies he prefers sucking his toe to sucking a thumb!!!
Your a nurse? Can i ask which hospital your in just out of interest.....my wifes aunt is a nurse at the Queen Elizabeth? Is that a hosp in Adelaide?? Can't remember

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.