Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know properties are cheaper here in Tas than the mainland but..

I know properties are cheaper here in Tas than the mainland but..

Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:44 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know properties are cheaper here in Tas than the mainland but..

Originally Posted by Tracker
Try buying a house with land and a view in the uk it would be double that price.

I think some people come to oz expecting to be given everything.
WTF err excuse me I dont expect to be given anything mate
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:13 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracker
Try buying a house with land and a view in the uk it would be double that price.

I think some people come to oz expecting to be given everything.
Double where are you thinking of? Most places I can think of would be 4 to 5 x that price, overall I think Aus prices are way cheaper than UK. The area I left was selling 3 bedroom terraces with no view for $250,000 and that was in a reasonable area of North East.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by possoms
I've not seen anything dirt cheap in Hobart even the real shit heaps without views are riddiculus, its trebled since we were there last time they are plugging real rough areas as up and coming places to live but if I wanted that i'd have moved back to Rotherham.

guess you are right Hutch its the block not the house and yep we will never loose the view.

cheers
Hi, have been reading this post with interest as Tas is top of our list at mo with Adelaide second. Have been looking at the real estate web site and am not sure on areas. Notice you say agents are plugging the s**t areas, could you let me know what these are, we are looking in the Hobart area, have 3 small kids so need it to be family friendly with good schools, views etc, PM me if you rather not start a row on here with your views of nice places etc !!! Thanks, also agree on the shack end of the scale for housing, bet they are freezing in the winter!!!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
Hi, have been reading this post with interest as Tas is top of our list at mo with Adelaide second. Have been looking at the real estate web site and am not sure on areas. Notice you say agents are plugging the s**t areas, could you let me know what these are, we are looking in the Hobart area, have 3 small kids so need it to be family friendly with good schools, views etc, PM me if you rather not start a row on here with your views of nice places etc !!! Thanks, also agree on the shack end of the scale for housing, bet they are freezing in the winter!!!
We went to Tas on part of holiday to Oz recently and met up with 2 ladies from the government. They recommended Sandford, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay, South Hobart as all very nice for families.
We have spotted some great properties on the internet but being in the area made us realise some of the areas were just too far out and very quiet (ie Huonville, Cygnet, Cradoc etc - all very nice but not as near to Hobart as we had thought)
However, we don't live there (yet) and I'm sure those who are already in Tas, dealing with the day to day reality of house buying will have much more advice.
Good luck
Sammy
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:36 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll have to wait for possoms as I haven't made it there yet, it's on my list of things to do still.

WTF err excuse me I dont expect to be given anything mate
Originally Posted by Sammy T
We went to Tas on part of holiday to Oz recently and met up with 2 ladies from the government. They recommended Sandford, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay, South Hobart as all very nice for families.
We have spotted some great properties on the internet but being in the area made us realise some of the areas were just too far out and very quiet (ie Huonville, Cygnet, Cradoc etc - all very nice but not as near to Hobart as we had thought)
However, we don't live there (yet) and I'm sure those who are already in Tas, dealing with the day to day reality of house buying will have much more advice.
Good luck
Sammy
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

the best of the bunch and is also the cheapest on the market in this area.

the positive side is location, location, it has the most fantastic views of the bay and mountains, has a large sun room to capture these views and yep that is fantastic.

:
Count yourself lucky with the price. You could live in Perth, a glimpse of the sea will set you back $1million.

Note a glimpse of the sea

The whole world had gone bloody crazy.

Why anyone would want to spend that much to get a bit of blue I'll never know. It is also quite possibly one of the most boring coastlines to look at that I've ever seen - a bit like Lincolnshire - not a cliff or headland in sight.

If Perth people think that it it so valuable, it makes me think that they really don't know what beautiful coastlines look like.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annqldau
You'll have to wait for possoms as I haven't made it there yet, it's on my list of things to do still.
Thanks everyone, SammyT have noted the places you listed and will do a search this afternoon. Hopefully Possums will be on today and can provide some valued advice.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Count yourself lucky with the price. You could live in Perth, a glimpse of the sea will set you back $1million.

Note a glimpse of the sea

The whole world had gone bloody crazy.

Why anyone would want to spend that much to get a bit of blue I'll never know. It is also quite possibly one of the most boring coastlines to look at that I've ever seen - a bit like Lincolnshire - not a cliff or headland in sight.

If Perth people think that it it so valuable, it makes me think that they really don't know what beautiful coastlines look like.
I now what your saying NK but like I said to Anne this isnt Perth the wages are half of what OH could be earning over there, but yep I wouldnt pay for what your saying even if I had the money.

my argument isnt the price I know compared to UK Perth Brissie etc its "cheap" here, my argument is that its nothing more than a shack (spent 6 months in Perth and I cant remember seeing shacks over there? so not sure you know what I mean) but its like a static caravan/cabin somewhere you just go in summer for fishing etc. they have added a room on to try and make it look like a house but inside it is a shack!

but we love the area, have made some great friends and Col has found a job here that he loves so we want to stay, so looks like we are going to have to pay.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:21 pm

Hiya sorry we live oop north Tas so cant really comment on Hobart, though we did like Bellerive and Lindisfarne down there

havent any kids so dont know about schools.

yep frigging freezing but that can be easily rectified if you own it its just obviously you cant do much to a rental, dont get me wrong though we love it here.